How can I cut calories without having to cut out the foods that I like?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Before cutting calories:
    icecream_chocolate_chile_jpg_360x360_crop-scale_upscale_q85.jpg

After cutting calories:
    ice_cream-one-dip2.jpg

Smaller portions.

If your example menu fits within your caloric goal then you will lose weight. If not then eat less of everything. Simple as that.

Example changes to the menu:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, half an oat bran bagel, 1 slices Colby jack cheese and a cup of grape juice.

Mid morning snack: half a banana or any other fruit with fewer calories for the same volume, yogurt, cereal.

Lunch: Smaller steak/pork chop, larger salad, less dressing.

Afternoon snack: Smaller starbucks whatever that is.

Dinner: Less pasta, more veggies added into the sauce.

Snack: Smaller glass of cocoa.

Since you gave no caloric information I have no idea if these changes makes it fit within your needs or just slashed your calories too low.
    I know this is not the answer you want, but there's no way you can maintain a healthy nutrition balance by drinking grape juice, a frapacchino and a cup of hot chocolate every day. That's probably half your daily calories in the form of pure sugar!

940.gif
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    OP have you figured out your calorie deficit yet? That's the first step anyway. You don't have to cut foods that you like, but you have to have less of them. And perhaps not as many on one day.
  • ana3067
    edited March 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You really need to cut out carbs in your liquids, so the daily hot chocolate and fraps need to be sugar free. In fact if you can cut them out you will notice a huge savings in calories. There are other noodles that are made with rice, yellow beans, udon etc. try them instead of regular pasta. It may take a few tries, but you really will start enjoying them more than regular pasta.

No
    This.

I eat rice and corn pasta for digestive purposes. Eating 100g of rice pasta isn't going to differ much compared to 100g of regular pasta.

Portion sizes.

(ETA: my normal pasta serving is now 50-60g. 60g is when I have extra cals left over and I'm really pasta-hungry).
  • ana3067
    Options
    You really need to cut out carbs in your liquids, so the daily hot chocolate and fraps need to be sugar free. In fact if you can cut them out you will notice a huge savings in calories. There are other noodles that are made with rice, yellow beans, udon etc. try them instead of regular pasta. It may take a few tries, but you really will start enjoying them more than regular pasta.

No

Care to explain why? :smile:
    I often see just plain "NO" as a reply here. Which isn't really a helpful response at all

I just don't think it's really appropriate to tell someone they're drinks need to be sugar free. Will you save calories? Sure. You can eat regular pasta too. If the OP wants to try noodles made out of yellow beans, fine. I also don't know how someone could just assume that another person would start enjoying yellow bean noodles better than regular pasta.

Yup. suggest that sugar-free options will be lower cal? Sure. Tell them that they NEED to eat the sugar-free version or that htey can't have regular pasta? Nope.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

No

I often see just plain "NO" as a reply here. Which isn't really a helpful response at all

I just don't think it's really appropriate to tell someone they're drinks need to be sugar free. Will you save calories? Sure. You can eat regular pasta too. If the OP wants to try noodles made out of yellow beans, fine. I also don't know how someone could just assume that another person would start enjoying yellow bean noodles better than regular pasta.

430 calories in a grande frappuccino, 170 calories in 8oz. of grape juice, 138 calories in 1 packet of swiss miss.

That's 738 calories completely wasted. I think it's completely appropriate.

Yikes. That's an awful lot of calories for a small volume of food/drink :open_mouth::confounded:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

No

430 calories in a grande frappuccino, 170 calories in 8oz. of grape juice, 138 calories in 1 packet of swiss miss.

The advice to not drink up too many calories is good, but also, keep in mind that the OP specifically asked about cutting without giving up the thing she loves. Cutting back on the real deal, or finding good substitutions which don't detract too much from flavor, would be the better option.

As for the pasta, most of the pasta substitution suggestions don't save any calories, so I'm not sure what the point of them was? Shiratake is a lower calorie noodle substitute, but it's disgusting. Spaghetti squash is ok for a lot of things, but not really for use in actual pasta dishes. It does not have the same texture at all, and the sauce doesn't interact in the same way. A better option would be to just cut back on the portions, and add more veggies instead.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

No

Because it's such a wrong answer it doesn't need an explanation.

Just negate everydamnedthing that was said, and you have your explanation.

Try it ... I'll help you out just this once:

You really DONT need to cut out a single carbs in your liquids, so the daily hot chocolate and fraps needto be sugar free CAN HAVE SUGAR. In fact if you can cut them out you will notice a huge savings in calories YOU DONT NEED TO CUT THEM OUT AT ALL. There are other noodles that are made with rice, yellow beans, udon etc. try them instead of regular pasta. It may take a few tries, but you really will start enjoying them more than regular pasta. MIGHT NOT LIKE THEM AT ALL, AND THAT'S ALRIGHT 'CAUSE REGULAR FLOUR BASED PASTA IS A.O.K.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    If you're unwilling to cut the foods you are eating, the only alternative is to eat a lot less of them. You have to do A LOT of exercise to burn 738 calories worth of sugary drinks every day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

No

Because its unnecessary to give up anything. Nothing needs to be "sugar free", she doesn't have to give up carbs. She just needs a caloric deficit to lose weight, thats it. It's CICO and learning moderation will benefit for a sustainable diet.
  • arditarose
    Options

No

Because it's such a wrong answer it doesn't need an explanation.

Just negate everydamnedthing that was said, and you have your explanation.

Try it ... I'll help you out just this once:

You really DONT need to cut out a single carbs in your liquids, so the daily hot chocolate and fraps needto be sugar free CAN HAVE SUGAR. In fact if you can cut them out you will notice a huge savings in calories YOU DONT NEED TO CUT THEM OUT AT ALL. There are other noodles that are made with rice, yellow beans, udon etc. try them instead of regular pasta. It may take a few tries, but you really will start enjoying them more than regular pasta. MIGHT NOT LIKE THEN AT ALL, AND THATS ALRIGHT 'CAUSE REGULAR FLOUR BASED PAST IS A.O.K.

Thank you. You guys are stronger than me.
  • ILUVPOPPYDEARLY
    Options

No

Is diet soda okay? If I switch up between diet soda and water for all of my meals will that be okay?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for the explanations. They were much more helpful than just saying "No" :smile:
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just figure out your calorie allotment and get started, where you want to cut back will become clear to you after you do it for a little while.
    For me, I thought my daily Starbucks was non negotiable, but it pretty quickly didn't make the cut when I had to trade it for food and go hungry. I now have it occasionally and not daily (and save money!).
    That's one of the values of counting calories, just through the process your choices become more informed. You'll see what works for you by doing it.
  • ILUVPOPPYDEARLY
    Options
    You don't have to give up anything you love, just cut down on the more calorie-laden stuff. Think sugar and starchy carbs, plus the stuff that sneaks up on you like dressings and condiments.

Mix half as much grape juice with some sparkling mineral water to make a spritzer.

Try eating only half the bagel each morning, with one slice of cheese.

Try sugar free cocoa. If you use milk, try almond milk instead.

For the pasta dinners, try cutting about a third of the amount and adding a salad. Look for some new, lower-calorie dressings...either vinegar or yogurt based, as they can be delicious and save a LOT of calories.

And definitely save the Starbucks for a treat, not an everyday snack.

Maybe not eat red meat every meal...branch out with some delicious poultry and seafood dishes which will save some calories. With the right spices and sauces, you can hardly tell that meat sauce has turkey instead of beef.

Keep real portion sizes in mind...for proteins, that's the size of your palm. A 12-ounce steak is like 3 meals, not 1. There's nothing wrong with mixing proteins, either. A smaller piece of steak with some shrimp on top for an extra low-cal protein punch is a good choice. You still get all the flavor, but don't have to worry about the extra calories.

What about halving or quartering all of my meals? Like half or a quarter of a Frappuccino, steak or pasta dish instead of a full one so I can at least get the taste.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I can see arditaroses point... (if I may..) This is supposed to be a lifestyle, not a diet. Within that, the idea that in order to eat the foods you love, you have to substitute it for something else entirely (like pasta make of beans instead of actual pasta) insinuates that one simply cannot enjoy the foods they love and still lose weight... that you will just have to give them up.

I think the advice to eat in moderation, and that the high calorie foods be a treat instead of a daily thing is pretty good. I also like the idea of mixing juice to make a spritzer is very cool. But then, I just dont believe in restricting foods and putting anything off limits / banning foods and substituting for something else ne'er to eat them again, instead in learning how to fit them into a lifestyle so that you can still enjoy them, just not as much of it, and not as often.

I used to drink a double caramel macchiato with whipped cream every...single..day. Now if I even go to Starbucks, I get a Pikes, and once a month or so I'll still get a macchiato, but now I savour ever bit of it, and it tastes soooo good. Definitely a treat!

Also, now instead of just boiling the entire box of pasta and eating half of it, I actually measure out 2 servings for kiddo and I. Speaking of which, I would just die if I could not eat real pasta anymore and had to eat bean pasta instead. Im sure its good, I would eat it every so often if I liked it...but no way could I realistically say I would not miss the real thing and never eat it again. Thats like..cruel and unusual punishment!!! lol

• arditarose
    Options
    You don't have to give up anything you love, just cut down on the more calorie-laden stuff. Think sugar and starchy carbs, plus the stuff that sneaks up on you like dressings and condiments.

Mix half as much grape juice with some sparkling mineral water to make a spritzer.

Try eating only half the bagel each morning, with one slice of cheese.

Try sugar free cocoa. If you use milk, try almond milk instead.

For the pasta dinners, try cutting about a third of the amount and adding a salad. Look for some new, lower-calorie dressings...either vinegar or yogurt based, as they can be delicious and save a LOT of calories.

And definitely save the Starbucks for a treat, not an everyday snack.

Maybe not eat red meat every meal...branch out with some delicious poultry and seafood dishes which will save some calories. With the right spices and sauces, you can hardly tell that meat sauce has turkey instead of beef.

Keep real portion sizes in mind...for proteins, that's the size of your palm. A 12-ounce steak is like 3 meals, not 1. There's nothing wrong with mixing proteins, either. A smaller piece of steak with some shrimp on top for an extra low-cal protein punch is a good choice. You still get all the flavor, but don't have to worry about the extra calories.

What about halving or quartering all of my meals? Like half or a quarter of a Frappuccino, steak or pasta dish instead of a full one so I can at least get the taste.

You need to weigh all your food and figure out the portions that will be appropriate for your deficit. No one can tell you if halving all of your meals will help you lose weight or not. I'm not sure what you're going to do with the other 3/4s of your frappuccino. I can't imagine it would taste great the second day?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't like to drink my calories, as I want food. You don't need to give up your frap, just get a little smaller one. Eat lots of meat and fat, so you're sated. I pre-log my days and include my "treats", so I never feel I'm going without.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    For me, I don't like to drink my calories, as I want food. You don't need to give up your frap, just get a little smaller one. Eat lots of meat and fat, so you're sated. I pre-log my days and include my "treats", so I never feel I'm going without.

This woman's diary is a work of art, by the way.
  • ana3067
    Options

No

Is diet soda okay? If I switch up between diet soda and water for all of my meals will that be okay?

Any drinks are okay. If drinking so many of these drinks every day leads you to be unable to meet your goals, then you have to sacrifice frequency and/or quantity. I.e. portion control.