Percentages of fats, proteins, and carbs...

Options
Is it a problem that, percentage wise, my fats are high?

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    what is the goal?
    If building muscle...then maybe
    If losing weight...then probably not
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Fats are good. I go over on a regular basis, but I also stay under my calorie goal. Eating fat doesn't make you fat
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your macros set at?
  • alskarani
    alskarani Posts: 83
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight. I'm not yet eating enough, calorie wise. (Trying). My macros are at 40, 30,

I got worried because I saw the reports for some days, and close to 50% some days were from fats! Is this not a terrible thing?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    alskarani wrote: »
    I'm trying to lose weight. I'm not yet eating enough, calorie wise. (Trying). My macros are at 40, 30,

I got worried because I saw the reports for some days, and close to 50% some days were from fats! Is this not a terrible thing?

No it's not a terrible thing. Are you staying within your calorie goal or going over?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is it a problem that, percentage wise, my fats are high?

Your goals are set to 40% carbs, 30% fats, 30% protein? I don't think you have a high fat goal. It is no problem, unless you have a medical condition that dictates otherwise, to go over any of your macro goals as long as you don't go over your calorie goal and don't miss out on any macro- or micronutrients. What I can see may be a problem for you, is undereating and/or not accurately logging your food.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

It's not terrible if the fats are coming from good sources. Definitely avoid any transfats. Saturated fats are OK, especially from sources like fish, coconut oil, avocados, and nuts.

The main thing is to make sure you're getting all the protein you need in your diet-- about 0.8-1 gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight every day.
  • alskarani
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone. This quells a little worry. How much, percentage wise, is too much? I think it's high because I eat pb.
    I need to figure out how to eat more protein, I think that's generally low. I tried to eat more today.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone. This quells a little worry. How much, percentage wise, is too much? I think it's high because I eat pb.
    I need to figure out how to eat more protein, I think that's generally low. I tried to eat more today.

If you're hitting your protein goal, and your goal is to lose weight, then there isn't a "too high" unless you're not eating any vegetables.
  • alskarani
    Options
    I guess i still don't quite understand...may I explain myself once more?
    I'm not eating as many calories as I'm supposed to. I'm trying to change that and eat more. Meanwhile, fats are making up a higher percentage of my diet. I'm not getting all the protein I should. Is it therefore a problem that fats are so high, or should I not worry about it?
    Thanks! Sorry to be so slow to understand...
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    For less fat and more protein try eating lean meat like chicken breast, or fat free yogurt, or egg whites. For more calories, eat moar!
  • galgenstrick
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I guess i still don't quite understand...may I explain myself once more?
    I'm not eating as many calories as I'm supposed to. I'm trying to change that and eat more. Meanwhile, fats are making up a higher percentage of my diet. I'm not getting all the protein I should. Is it therefore a problem that fats are so high, or should I not worry about it?
    Thanks! Sorry to be so slow to understand...

Yes, you'll want to replace some of your fats with protein if you are not getting enough protein. Think of protein as the one you want to keep fixed, about 0.8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight. The other two (carbs and fat) are more flexible. So make sure you get enough protein first, then fit the others in.

So for example, if you want to weigh 150, then eat 120-150 grams of protein every day. Then out of whatever calories you have left distribute those between carbs and fats. How you distribute them doesn't matter too much unless you're trying to put on a bit of muscle.