Alcohol/liquor

Options
Will drinking liquor slow down weight loss? How about drinking it with diet pop?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    If it puts you over your deficit-yes. If not-no.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As long as you're within your calorie goal, alcohol is fine. My poisons are white wine and whiskey. I always mix my whiskey with diet/no cal mixers. Make sense to do it that way to minimized the calorie hit.

I've been indulging every weekend for 8 months (250-500 calories of booze worked into my calories), and have had no problem with losing and keeping it off. Just be moderate, log your alcohol calories, make it fit your weekly goals.

ETA: Don't mind my grammar problems. It's Saturday night ;) Cheers!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're in a deficit, no. Everything in moderation.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. Liquor or food, it doesn't matter.

Too much Gin/Vodka/Whiskey/Wine/Beer is the same as too much icecream is the same as too many potatoes is the same as too much <anything else>. A calorie is a calorie and your fat cells don't particularly care.
  • honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you know you'll be having a drink just save enough calories. That's what I do when I want a glass of wine in the evening.
  • kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As other posters have suggested the calories is often the easiest consideration to make. However, knowing how the liver functions is important as well. Because, when we drink, the liver focuses on clearing out the alcohol we're ingesting first. Fat-burning takes a back-seat to clearing out the booze. It's possible to dive deep on this, but for the short version, Dr. Weil covers it somewhat succinctly. Bottom-line, though, yes, alcohol can inhibit weight loss, and it's not just calories you have to be mindful of ... http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA360805
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! I add the liquor calories into my total intake so I guess I'm doing that part right...just always heard drinking inhibited weight loss. It does make sense... Calories are calories....food or liquor...in moderation.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    been drinking white wine mixed with diet sierra mist just about every day for the past 2 years... have lost one whole me...so drinking mixed with diet pop does NOT hamper your weight loss... just make sure to count it in your daily calorie mix. Along with the wine I have a daily serving of low fat or fat free pretzels... it's my "wind-down" treat after I've walked my 5 miles/10K+ steps.... if I don't make my 5 miles or steps, I don't earn my "wind-down" treat
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 33 pounds since 1st Jan when I stopped drinking two bottles of wine EVERY day ! Joined a gym - joined MFP and stick religiously to tracking calories and gym / swim 6 times a week. Ive very slowly introduced alcohol back to once a week and account for it in my calories BUT - it seems such a waste unless its a special occasion ! 600 for a bottle of wine ! Lol. Its taught me very much about moderation and what " to me" is an important calorie :)
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    orlandodenise: I agree that 600 cal for a bottle of wine is a bit excessive! I eat around 1000-1200 daily and that would be 1/2 of my calorie allotment for a day! That's why I mix 1 glass of white wine (90 cal) with about 16-20 ounces of diet sierra mist... goes a long way! It is amazing, isn't it... how we learn what an "important calorie" is.... I think twice before I eat something not normally on my choice of foods... is it important or not? And, then if I choose to partake in something different, I know it means an hour or two on the treadmill....
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As other posters have suggested the calories is often the easiest consideration to make. However, knowing how the liver functions is important as well. Because, when we drink, the liver focuses on clearing out the alcohol we're ingesting first. Fat-burning takes a back-seat to clearing out the booze. It's possible to dive deep on this, but for the short version, Dr. Weil covers it somewhat succinctly. Bottom-line, though, yes, alcohol can inhibit weight loss, and it's not just calories you have to be mindful of ... http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA360805

Dr. Weil

Yer funny, Bro ...

Team-Quack-keep-smiling-8630368-400-311.jpg

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, no, not if you're within your calories.

Drunk munching or hangover food on the other hand... that can be a different story ;)