Gym newbie here! Tips? Advice?

Options
Gym newbie here! I joined Planet Fitness yesterday and I was looking for advice /tips on what to start with? What equipment to use? Etc? Thanks ladies and gentlemen :)

Replies

• Ness725
    Ness725 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, have a gym employee walk you through all the equipment and show you how to use it without injuring yourself. You dont want to hurt yourself!

As to how to structure your workouts, there are litterally thousands of ways (google is great). I normally start with cardio and do weights after. If you like it the other way around, you should DEFINITELY warm up first (ie: walk fast or jog for 3 to 5 mins then stretch). You may enjoy the classes too, so it's a great idea to try some out.

Since you're new, I highly recommend you try a variety of different workouts/classes to find what you ENJOY. Its not about achieving your goals quickly, its about achieving them sustainably. The most effective exercise is the one you do! Good luck!!
  • Ness725 wrote: »
    First and foremost, have a gym employee walk you through all the equipment and show you how to use it without injuring yourself. You dont want to hurt yourself!

As to how to structure your workouts, there are litterally thousands of ways (google is great). I normally start with cardio and do weights after. If you like it the other way around, you should DEFINITELY warm up first (ie: walk fast or jog for 3 to 5 mins then stretch). You may enjoy the classes too, so it's a great idea to try some out.

Since you're new, I highly recommend you try a variety of different workouts/classes to find what you ENJOY. Its not about achieving your goals quickly, its about achieving them sustainably. The most effective exercise is the one you do! Good luck!!

I just stretch like I do when I wake up, any warming up beyond that would be the workout in of itself; for me.
  • Ness725
    Ness725 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ness725 wrote: »

I just stretch like I do when I wake up, any warming up beyond that would be the workout in of itself; for me.

If you stretch clld muscles, you can hurt yourself! Be careful! :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Lots of ways to get in shape. One common method that works is full-body strength training every 2-3 days, with cardio on your non-strength days. The trainers at PF are probably aren't the best, so follow a good program, like NROL. There's also one in my profile.

For cardio, pick anything that gets your heart rate up.

Don't do too much too soon, of anything.

If you need more help, state your goal.
  • Truegoddess22
    Truegoddess22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What is NROL? I'm 5 ft tall and currently weigh 166. Goal weight is 120-125. I'm top heavy so basically I have a gut and big boobs (44DD) no hips or thighs.
    I want to work on losing/toning my stomach.

Cherimoose wrote: »
    Lots of ways to get in shape. One common method that works is full-body strength training every 2-3 days, with cardio on your non-strength days. The trainers at PF are probably aren't the best, so follow a good program, like NROL. There's also one in my profile.

For cardio, pick anything that gets your heart rate up.

Don't do too much too soon, of anything.

If you need more help, state your goal.

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting (there's a version for women) and there are also Starting Strength, Stronglifts. I suggest Stronglifts. NROLFW is also good.