Which at home exercise DVD gave you the best results?

Options

Replies

• kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Here's a related question: Are there any DVDs out there I can watch a few times and then do on my own? I dislike weight training (I know, I know), and I really dislike weight training while watching my computer monitor. Right now, I have several books and plan out a weight program from day to day. I wonder what the big advantage a DVD has over my pictures and notes? I work out in front of a mirror, and wonder if that's better or worse than watching a DVD. Thanks.

I think the advantage to the video is that you HAVE to keep up with it. At least for me, I know that if I try to do the workouts without watching I'm not going to do them as quickly and it's all about keeping yourself going and pushing yourself to the next level. Jillian constantly says "No rest... if you want a 20 minute workout you have to push yourself"... Have you ever tried putting on a dvd, muting it, and then turning on music. You can do the workouts with the video but you don't have to listen! Also as you do them more, you don't have to watch the WHOLE time, just glance every once in awhile to make sure you're keeping up!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    For circuit training workouts that are available free online, you might look at the circuits created by Gabby Reese...her website with circuits provided is: http://www.gabbyreece360.com/category/fitness-360/train-360-5/

She shows how to do the moves in a short video and then gives you a list of the moves and how long to complete each one.
  • skinnysinner
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred!!! It's amazing and so short but still gives you a great workout.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Here's a related question: Are there any DVDs out there I can watch a few times and then do on my own? I dislike weight training (I know, I know), and I really dislike weight training while watching my computer monitor. Right now, I have several books and plan out a weight program from day to day. I wonder what the big advantage a DVD has over my pictures and notes? I work out in front of a mirror, and wonder if that's better or worse than watching a DVD. Thanks.

The advantage of weight training with a DVD, is that you will get pointers on correct form.
    Jillian gives a lot more pointers in her 'No More Trouble Zones' DVD than she does in the '30 Day Shred' one - which is why I think a lot more people injure themselves doing the Shred.
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered 30 day shred from amazon as i'd seen so many talk about it on here, thought i'd give it a go but the one I use is Hannah Waterman - Body Blitz. As it's the only one I've used so far I may not be an accurate judge but it gives quite a workout!! Will see what I think to 30 day shred! :-)
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good point about having to keep up; thanks for responding.:smile:
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    bump??? would you tell me what this means. its driving me crazy
    Bump means a person is posting to move the post up but also to be able to come back to it later easily.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Bump means a person is posting to move the post up but also to be able to come back to it later easily.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options

The advantage of weight training with a DVD, is that you will get pointers on correct form.
    Jillian gives a lot more pointers in her 'No More Trouble Zones' DVD than she does in the '30 Day Shred' one - which is why I think a lot more people injure themselves doing the Shred.

Excellent point, thanks.
  • Delaina1
    Delaina1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Insanity!!! I get a great calorie burn AND I've done some major toning. I can definately see my belly getting a little flatter! I've had great results and I love it! My goal was weight loss and toning.
  • Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm a Jillian Michael's fanatic! In order of my favorites:

1. 30 Day Shred - Because there's no excuse not to do it

6. Shred it With Weights - JM tried to do a kettle bell workout. I've only done this one once and I was beyond sore the next day. I then found out that a LOT of people were upset with her for this dvd saying she didn't know what she was talking about and was actually doing more harm than good. So I haven't done it since, but I probably will do it again eventually but I want to learn kettle bell from another source prior to then :-)

I LOVED the results from 30 Day Shred! I lost 17" in 30 days. I only lost 8# but I think I gained some muscle. I REALLY should have researched or asked around before I bought Shred It With Weights. I have done it twice now and like you, I am extremely sore today. I tried it with an 8# kettle ball last night and it was too much for me so I am going back to my 5# hand weight. I also didn't feel like the moves with the kettle ball were safe. The thrusting and jumping with the weight didn't feel good on my joints.
  • Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

They're cheap, but the main reason is bc 30DS has shed a lot of inches off my body! Awesome workouts.
    It's a hard workout, but if you can do it for 30 minutes, it IS a very effective workout.

I completely agree. Yes, they are less expensive but if you do them consistently they are very, very effective for the small amount of time you put in each day. 30 minutes is nothing compared to driving to a gym, hoping equipment is open and then driving back home.
  • Kazimira
    Kazimira Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

It's just to get the thread back to the top again so it gets noticed if no-one's replied for a while :smile:
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite for cardio is Turbo Jam-- especially the Punch, Kick, and Jam workout. I'm also definitely seeing results with ChaLEAN Extreme.

I'm currently in the 2nd week of my ChaLEAN Extreme/Turbo Jam hybrid schedule.... I can feel the benefits of ChaLEAN Extreme already.....!
  • robdog316
    robdog316 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    p90x way to go.
  • hsbi
    hsbi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hsbi
    hsbi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump - double post. Sorry.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SirJFK
    SirJFK Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So far for me, I started with Power 90 (older Bro to P90x) and it has been good lost 20 lbs from it in 70 days, then my schedule got all screwed up. I have now decided to do the Power 90 Master Series, which is like a different excercise prog every day... i am then after doing this for 90 days, going to try P90x and hope I dont have a heart attack like I did the 1st time I tried it... :)

The Power 90 workouts were Easy to follow and they are mixed up between a cardio workout and a simplistic weight / strength workout. I heghly recommend them.