Calorie allowance of 1200?? Won't I go into starvation mode?

Options
2»

Replies

• OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1200 is doable for some people. I personally found when I was at 1200 I was really irritable and tired.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Even at 1200 calories I have a full plate at every meal. 1/4 should be protein, 1/4 starchy carbs and 1/2 non-starchy vegetables/fruit. 1200 calories is the lowest you can go and still get adequate nutrition. I cut the carbs and added protein and lose just fine and I'm 73.
  • denafarmer33
    denafarmer33 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of veggies so my plate is full 4 meals a day with a couple snacks and I'm still falling short of 1200. My carbs and fat are low but I'm reaching everything else
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am 5'3", 35 and 202lbs. When I was moderately active I was eating about 1800/1900 calories a day and losing very consistently. So yes I would definately say eat more! I agree with changing your goal to 1lb a week and also someone else mentioned weighing and measuring. I highly recommend a food scale. They are cheap and makes your food log much more accurate.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    I'm 5'7" and 149lbs and MFP set my calories at 1330. I found its easier if you divide your food into 4-5 meals so you're eating frequently throughout the day. My day is usually, cereal, then a sandwich, dinner, a salad, and tea. Whenever I have calories left over, I use it on milk. Small snacks that are calorie packed can take up your calories, but not let your stomach feel like it's had anything to eat.

At your weight and height, 1330 cal is too low. I took a look at your diary, and you consistently eat much lower than 1200 calories - sometimes 400-1000 cal/ day. You mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago that you have EDNOS (I am in remission for the same illness). Do you think you should be giving advise to other people when you are clearly still struggling with the illness?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I used a different site, and it gave a range rather than a fixed #. The lowest possible range for a woman was 1200-1500. Seemed reasonable, except I always aimed for the low side and felt guilty for going to the high side. 1200 was just not reasonable for me, in terms of something I could do for a while. And if you're needing to lose 50-60+ pounds, you need something reasonable you can stick with.

So I manually tried 1400-1600 and found I was much happier here. And based on my size, age, etc. and activity level: could lose weight. I'm now in maintenance (lost ~55) and eat 1800-2000.

It can be helpful to have a few low calorie meals on hand for backup. For those days that are crazy, if you know what I mean. For me: 4-5 ounce of lean meat like chicken breast, some baked veggie (Cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini seasoned and sprayed w/ olive oil, baked with a little parmesan cheese) and a salad with light dressing. This can easily come in ~300 or less. And if you want to make it a little bulkier - try slicing 100g of sweet potato and baking it. Adds ~90 calories more. Very filling, for me at least. And sometimes having a low # for dinner helps for days I feel like snacking all afternoon!

I keep a couple of things in my freezer at all times. Walmart sells skinless salmon, in the seafood section. Each piece is 4-5 ounces and individually wrapped. With skin removed - its about 25 calories/ounce. And Perdue sells (all major grocery stores) packs of chicken breast (plain or Italian seasoning) also individually trimmed and packed. 4-5 ounces also, 120 or so calories per breast. They're easy to take out 1-2 (whatever you need), season & bake. Other stores probably sell similar on the salmon, and other fish types (tilapia is another good one) but Walmart for me tends to be the best $ on it.
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am over 50 so 1200 calories a day is not starvation. It's harder to lose weight when you are older. It's weird, some days I am really hungry and go over 1200 and then there are days like today where I had to remind myself to eat. I try to exercise or walk everyday when I do, I make sure I eat back the calories I have burned.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer, but if you are upping your activity level to active because you exercise regularly, then you will have to be careful about eating back exercise calories. I'd suggest moderately active and 1 pund per week OR doing a quick TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calculation to see what you maintenance would be and subtract your deficit from that. TDEE includes exercise so it will appear higher, and you do not eat back any additional exercise calories unless you are doing something totally beyond the ordinary.

Really it is a bit of trial and error. If you are starving, you are doing something wrong. Up the calories for a few weeks, if you aren't losing drop it 200 few a few weeks and see. You can hone in on your sweet spot where you are consistently losing and not starving. I'm all for junk on occassion, but calorie for calorie veggies & meat keep you full longer than cupcakes and soda.

I prefer MFP because my schedule is too erratic for TDEE. One week I exercise 5 days a week or go for a 4 hour ride. The next week I only exercise 2 days...

Good Luck!
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Try adjusting your macros. I'm starving if most of my calories come from carbs or calorie-dense food, and on the flip side, when most of my calories are coming from meat, eggs, and veggies... I'm sometimes not hungry enough to make it higher than a pretty ridiculously low number that most of you guys would consider starving. But I am just not hungry! So... less carbs, more protein. I rarely eat back my exercise calories. Of course, I'm paleo and low carb, so disclaimer: I ALWAYS suggest that. =P

Frankly, aggressive weight loss just means you'll be hungry, so suck it up, or decrease your goal a bit, say to 1 pound a week... and see how you feel then. It takes time to adjust! You are welcome to add me.
  • dawn01
    dawn01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3", 35 and 202lbs. When I was moderately active I was eating about 1800/1900 calories a day and losing very consistently. So yes I would definately say eat more! I agree with changing your goal to 1lb a week and also someone else mentioned weighing and measuring. I highly recommend a food scale. They are cheap and makes your food log much more accurate.

And if I loose weight slowly then perhaps my body will slowly adjust and I will hopefully not put the weight back on. He who laughs last an all. Xx
  • dawn01
    dawn01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I used a different site, and it gave a range rather than a fixed #. The lowest possible range for a woman was 1200-1500. Seemed reasonable, except I always aimed for the low side and felt guilty for going to the high side. 1200 was just not reasonable for me, in terms of something I could do for a while. And if you're needing to lose 50-60+ pounds, you need something reasonable you can stick with.

So I manually tried 1400-1600 and found I was much happier here. And based on my size, age, etc. and activity level: could lose weight. I'm now in maintenance (lost ~55) and eat 1800-2000.

It can be helpful to have a few low calorie meals on hand for backup. For those days that are crazy, if you know what I mean. For me: 4-5 ounce of lean meat like chicken breast, some baked veggie (Cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini seasoned and sprayed w/ olive oil, baked with a little parmesan cheese) and a salad with light dressing. This can easily come in ~300 or less. And if you want to make it a little bulkier - try slicing 100g of sweet potato and baking it. Adds ~90 calories more. Very filling, for me at least. And sometimes having a low # for dinner helps for days I feel like snacking all afternoon!

I keep a couple of things in my freezer at all times. Walmart sells skinless salmon, in the seafood section. Each piece is 4-5 ounces and individually wrapped. With skin removed - its about 25 calories/ounce. And Perdue sells (all major grocery stores) packs of chicken breast (plain or Italian seasoning) also individually trimmed and packed. 4-5 ounces also, 120 or so calories per breast. They're easy to take out 1-2 (whatever you need), season & bake. Other stores probably sell similar on the salmon, and other fish types (tilapia is another good one) but Walmart for me tends to be the best $ on it.

Excellent post. Thank you. I have filled my freezer with white meats and fish. Good idea. Really helpful post and thank u. I like you post so much I am going to send you a friend request. I have got a cal allowance of 1700 and loosing weight. Well chuffed. Thanks for advice.
  • sh3llbell
    sh3llbell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find 1200 too restrictive to follow every day. Have checked on other apps and for 5'7" and 155 lbs wanting to lsoe 1 lb/week it is more like 1400-1500 which is more reasonable...
    Also looking for friends but not sure how to add any ??
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Dawn,

Each of us is different and starting at a different weight, so here's the method used by a gazillion people here on MyFitnessPal to lose weight that worked for me through my journey.

It's the TDEE minus 20% method:

GO TO:
    www.fat2fitradio.com
    Go to the BMR Calculator and then make sure that you enter your CURRENT and GOAL weight as the same- DO NOT ENTER AN ACTUAL GOAL WEIGHT, as you will redo this calculation every 5# you lose :)
    Once you enter the info (leave your body fat % blank if you don't know it) then you will get a little thing that looks like this:

Custom BMR Calculation

Entered information: 37 year old female, 65 inches tall, weighing 154 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 154 lbs.
    Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1457 calories.
    How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Tools we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1748
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2003
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2258
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2513
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2768

This is my info as of today.
    So my BMR is 1457. If I eat below that, I'm gonna put my body in starvation mode because it's gonna think I'm in a coma.

Since I work out 6-7 days a week and I regularly lift heavy weights, I look at the number's between light and moderately active. There's my 2000-2200 calories a day that I can eat and MAINTAIN.

Since you're looking to drop 10# or MORE, I would look at the numbers between sedentary and light.

For anyone to LOSE weight, you just have to eat LESS than your maintenance number :) When I first started at 220#, I ate 20% less per day and dropped an average of about a pound a week.
    As I got closer to goal with 10-15# left to lose? I had to reduce the deficit to about 10% less or I kept hitting plateaus. For me, plateaus meant I needed to eat MORE to boost my metabolism, NOT less.
    So right now, for me to lose weight, I need to eat between 1602-1806/day. That's 20% less than my 2 numbers up there. I could probably eat even 1900/day and still CONSISTENTLY lose 1/2lb a week.

If you need any help with this, YELL!! Based on your stats that you gave, I would eat about 15-20% less than your TDEE to start based on the sedentary number. That gives you between and 1584-1683/day
    Good luck!

PS: You DO NOT eat back your exercise calories with this method unless you work out SO much that you aren't NETTING 1200/day. I highly doubt that applies to you yet, but it will once you start dropping a ton and being crazy active with your new body :) Like for example, the days I run 10+ miles, I cannot just eat my TDEE. I'd never net 1200 :) I have to eat like 3000 calories those days :)
  • sh3llbell
    sh3llbell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks DanaHerro. Am more comfortable with what I calculated from your post ..
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    There's no avoiding getting hungry. Once your body and mind get used to consuming less calories the constant hunger pangs will stop. The fit girls remedy a tablespoon all natural peanut butter will cure the hunter. Good Luck!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Just here to say, lovin' dawn01's display picture. lol.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    There is not really such a thing as starvation mode. 1200 calories will eventually wear down your immune system as you cannot get enough vitamins and nutrients with calories that low. You will end up sick and in bed and generally feel like crap.

While I am not a supporter of a 1200 calorie diet for women five feet or more ( which is more than 90% of the population of most Western countries ), I have to say that it is not true that one cannot get enough nutrition in terms of macros and micros on such a diet. It just takes a lot of good information, dedication, planning and patience to do, because there is no margin to speak of for non-nutritious foods.
    I eat 1200 calories ( because I am almost 70 and under 5 feet tall) and have no problems getting all that I need by eating all natural foods that are minimally processed ( like grain that is ground into flour, or cabbage that is pickled into sauerkraut ).....but as I said, there is no space for what other MFPers might consider " cheat meal/day " food. It does not bother me, because I have eaten this way for 50 plus years ( just for about 10 years; during and after menopause...too much of it ).
    It can be done on 1200 calories, but it's not always easy for the average person, plus it's absolutely not necessary for people of normal/average height and also depending on age, activity level, general health and several other factors.
    I don't understand why anyone would eat 1200 calories, unless it is really necessary for general health, or, as in my case, because age and height do not permit more calories unless I want to maintain or gain. But since due to two autoimmune diseases ( RA & active systemic Lupus ) and a difficult menopause I started to eat more than I should have, I now have to get rid of the extra weight. So far I have lost 55 pounds in two years ( aiming for about .5 pound a week ) and still have a bit to go.
    I also think that a relatively healthy women of resonable age should not go for more than a 1 pound weekly weight loss for the reasons we all are probably aware of.