What do you do for support?

Options
Hello!
I am wondering what everyone does for support besides MFP? Is there any other things you do to hold yourself accountable that you have had success with?
I would love to hear any tips and tricks!
Alison*

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I started this for me and I'm responsible for staying accountable to myself. That's all I needed to keep me going.
  • connieelaine24
    connieelaine24 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Last week I kinda got off track to to the weather and slipped back a bit to old habits. So, I made a promise that I couldn't purchase anything for myself until I got back on track. Thankfully I pair of shoes appeared that just really wanted...lol Snapped me back on the path..lol Hey what can I say... if it works I'll use it...lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    For me in the beginning it was a very personal and private time so I did not talk about it.
    I did ask hubby for the first two weeks not to have my trigger foods around.
    (He made steamed vegetables most nights for me but otherwise I was making separate foods for myself.)
    This might sounds nuts, but it helped me to have a clean house. I organized some things and threw away LOTS of stuff. Having less junk around made me "lighter" and freed up my headspace. Also got rid of / gave away food in the cupboard that did not fit into my new plan.
    Throughout, I like getting my hair cut and colored each month -- I suppose those visits to the hair stylist are rewards.
  • lpendleton58
    lpendleton58 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I prep my meals for the week. So through the week, I tell myself I might as well eat it because I made it already.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    In the spring I sign up for a series of 5K runs and a triathlon. Knowing I have to prepare for them keeps me dedicated. If I don't keep up then when race day comes I know I'll feel the pain.
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is my friend here as well as off here who gives me solid support. My faith in God, my heavenly Father who holds me up and is always attainable. Small steps in the right direction gives me almost instant results in how I feel. I know it will be a long time before others will notice my weight loss..but, I am doing this for my health. Their praise is welcome but not why I do this.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm in a triathlon club, which helps keep me motivated with my work outs and trying hard.
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love to have awesome shower gel for after my workouts. I can only use it if I have worked out. :) It has worked wonders for me. LOL. I know it is weird... but it's like a big thank you for working out...and it is more reinforcing than waiting for visible results can be.
    Also, if it is a food that I like and it is healthy, I buy it whether it is a sale price or not. I have to be committed to this...and fun food, like raspberries on my oatmeal, make it a fun process rather than dreary.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I do not like support to be honest. Puts too much stress on me to deliver results within a timeframe. I do my own thing, at my own pace, losing "too fast" when I feel like it, maintaining when I feel like it, and making whatever food choices I feel like making. No one cries eating disorder when I decide to have a couple of days under 1200, and no one declares I have fallen off the wagon when I have a 3000 calorie day.

Now what I do for accountability is honestly record my weight every single morning, regardless if I lost, gained or maintained in an app called "Libra". It gives me a weight trend. If I notice my weight trend moving into the gain territory, I take action right away to turn it around.
  • alisonpa7
    Options
    Nice! VERY helpful! Thank you o:)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I journal my fitness and gym activities. It is so rewarding to fill those pages up and it gives me another reason to get to the gym, the basement elliptical or to hit the road for a walk/jog etc.
  • alisonpa7
    Options
    I journal my fitness and gym activities. It is so rewarding to fill those pages up and it gives me another reason to get to the gym, the basement elliptical or to hit the road for a walk/jog etc.
    That is a really good one! This idea totally resonates with me..... I'm going to try this one B) I know I really like checking my fitbit throughout the day and seeing where I rank and sunch :)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    alisonpa7 wrote: »
    That is a really good one! This idea totally resonates with me..... I'm going to try this one B) I know I really like checking my fitbit throughout the day and seeing where I rank and sunch :)

Yup...I do log electronically as well (I use runtastic on my smartphone). Also awesome but seeing it linearly is even better for me. Even the act of keeping the journal takes discipline, which is what you need to be successful.

Good luck
  • Ogopogo
    Ogopogo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I enjoy interacting with the people here, it is motivational - I don't want to let the group down. Any one person's success is a success for us all. We are a team. Here are some thoughts on what has worked for me:

Don't use the scale as your scorecard - make permanent lifestyle changes and the weight will take care of itself over time. If you know you are exercising and eating healthy foods, you will win in the long term. Permanent, healthy lifestyle choices are the key, IMO.

My belief is that I am living like a 175 pound man, my weight just needs to catch up to my lifestyle. It will happen, it will just take a little time. As long as I continue to live like a 175 pound man lives, I have accomplished my goal. Someday in the future, the weight on my scale will reflect the lifestyle I have chosen.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Nothing really. I have a fitbit, but I don't engage with other users or participate in challenges or anything social. But having my daily goals to hit definitely keeps up my motivation to move a heck of a lot more than I would move otherwise.