Sudden belly fat??

Options
How quickly can a podgy tummy appear? I have a very bloated looking abdomen and though it would go with time of the month but it's stil here! I feel uncomfortably bloated but not sure if I just suddenly gained a tummy? it's been about 3 weeks now.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    One doesn't suddenly gain body fat. More than likely if you're noticing it, you just weren't aware. Usually people who are overweight don't end up noticing the weight gain for a period of time, hence are shocked when seeing pictures of themselves a few months apart.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    This isn't really a question for MFP. It sounds like a question for your doctor.
  • drspoon2013
    drspoon2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Don't think I said I was overweight!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I'll be more precise. If you're predisposed to gaining fat around your middle first and you're noticing it, then you're probably over consuming and the result will be fat gain. This is an assumption since there are no before or after pics to compare.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Is your stomach hard or soft? When I'm bloated, my stomach is really hard feeling and I'm almost always very gassy with it. I was like that for a few weeks at one point, and started eliminating things from my diet until I figured out what was doing it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You have ruled out the most obvious: pregnancy?
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

A test wouldn't hurt, but it's usually quite a few months before pregnancy causes any change in your tummy, one would expect to notice the lack of periods etc. by then...
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Don't think I said I was overweight!

If you're not overweight but losing in other areas by comparison and within just the past three weeks, your stomach has gotten noticeably larger and has stayed that way, don't you think it's time to see the doctor?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

A test wouldn't hurt, but it's usually quite a few months before pregnancy causes any change in your tummy, one would expect to notice the lack of periods etc. by then...

I remember feeling bloated, exactly as the OP describes, as the earliest symptom, before even missing a period.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I remember feeling bloated, exactly as the OP describes, as the earliest symptom, before even missing a period.

Yep, me too, especially with my third. I got really bloated in my first trimester with my third...the addiction to fruit salads didn't help :)