Sugar substitute

Options
Hi there! I made peanut butter cookies! They tasted good! But i was wondering what can i use instead of sugar for next time (sugar aint my best friend and never will be)

Replies

• HotPotato22
    Options
    sometimes I use apple sauce
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    There are many artificial sweeteners that can be subbed for sugar. You'll have to experiment to see which may taste the best with what you make though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I usually do 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 splenda for baking, seems to have good flavor still but is less sugar.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    I think fake sugar is worse than real sugar, I wouldn't use any artificial sweetener personally.
  • Arduinna4
    Arduinna4 Posts: 129 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like honey for sugar substitute but i dont know if it can fit in all recipes. I make cookies with oats, tahini, black chocolate chips and honey. They are excellent!
  • MrsDRS54
    MrsDRS54 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Stevia can be used instead of sugar.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Stevia is great for taste (even comes in flavored liquid drops, to add to coffee or tea or water), but doesn't brown like sugar, and the chemical reactions to make texture in baked goods just aren't there.
    I don't know what the solution is, and I really like using stevia where I can because it's a natural product that's been used for a long time in other countries with no bad effects.
    I think fake sugar is worse than real sugar, I wouldn't use any artificial sweetener personally.
    Depends on the sweetener.
    Aspartame, for example, isn't artificial (or at least, the 2 things that make it up aren't; putting them together might be).
    Here's a really really good discussion / explanation of aspartame, from a member here.
    Why Aspartame Isn't Scary
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that once you start swapping out ingredients you may have to adjust the recipe to compensate. I've seen a lot of cookies ruined when people don't know that.
  • Mafuezee
    Mafuezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    honey
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Here, here. The only sweeteners that I can tolerate the taste of are sugar, honey, and real maple syrup, all of which have comparable calories.

My solution for keeping things lower-calorie has been to restrict my consumption of calorie dense foods to those that give me maximum eating pleasure. No "stealth" calories for me! (And, btw, those peanut butter cookies of yours sound potentially worth it!)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Mafuezee wrote:
    honey
    Honey is sugar. It's mostly glucose & fructose.
    https://www.google.com/#q=what+sugar+is+in+honey

From the National Honey Board

From the University of Arizona Extension service: Is honey the same as sugar? That has some cooking tips for substituting honey for table sugar in recipes, which the OP might find helpful.
  • Nightfox609
    Nightfox609 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A recent study out of Scotland concluded that in addition to its fat-transporting work, L-carnitine also enhances insulin's actions on muscle cells. What this means is that L-carnitine can help keep blood glucose levels low, even following a carb-rich meal, while also aiding in glycogen repletion. This is one reason why I advocate taking L-carnitine with a post-workout meal.
  • COcgrayson
    COcgrayson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had to face the fact that cookies are not my friends. Neither is cake, ice cream, etc. In my case, it has been driven home by my lab results which have steadily improved but only when I leave sugar completely alone. I gave up all sugary foods the first of this year and the weight loss is slow but steady. After 2 or 3 weeks, you miss it less and less, although I will admit as hard as it was, giving up cigarettes was easier. LOL To our health!!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options

This.

Either try using less of the real deal or add in a real natural sweetener such as fruit (applesauce was a good suggestion). Or bodies don't know how to use the fake stuff and you are better off with the real deal, in smaller quantities, than the fake sugars.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So...some of the following might be more natural than sugar, some not, but things I've seen subbed for sugar:

honey, rice syrup, agave syrup (pretty much like corn syrup, at this point), sorghum syrup, maple syrup, coconut sugar (extracted from coconut), date sugar (extracted from dates), dates/raisins/other dried fruit, homemade date 'syrup' (look up raw food recipes - it's basically dates pureed with a little water in a blender), sweet fruits (blended up, usually), fruit juice concentrates (either buy, or make yourself from fresh made juice. You CANNOT make your own from pre-made juice. These contain chemicals for flavoring or preservation that concentrate too when you try to boil it down, and make it taste bitter and nasty. Even 100% juices - they extract flavorings from parts of the fruits, and so they can still say 100% juice, since it's all the same plant. :-/ ).

• demuz
    demuz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A recent study out of Scotland concluded that in addition to its fat-transporting work, L-carnitine also enhances insulin's actions on muscle cells. What this means is that L-carnitine can help keep blood glucose levels low, even following a carb-rich meal, while also aiding in glycogen repletion. This is one reason why I advocate taking L-carnitine with a post-workout meal.

The question was, what can she use instead of sugar dude
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    S
    Aspartame, for example, isn't artificial (or at least, the 2 things that make it up aren't; putting them together might be).

It was so artificial they had a patent on making it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

• rellyhowardx
    rellyhowardx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely stevia. It's a natural lo cal sugar & good for baking
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I like coconut sugar for cookies.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I usually do 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 splenda for baking, seems to have good flavor still but is less sugar.

I second this. Half sugar, half artificial. Dominos makes a blend that is pretty good.

I often use maple syrup in my pb cookies because I love maple and pb together, but that's still sugar.