I miss feeling FULL

Options

Replies

• lauraldrum
    lauraldrum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    tnwlkr43 wrote: »
    According to your journal you eat the same thing every day for lunch and supper just about. If this is the case I suggest you trying adding a variety and try to do 1 protein 1 starch and 1 non starch. I usually have some type of meat, and several veggies.

Personally I dont want to feel stuffed because I was miserable when I felt that way...
    Yes, that was just this week because I'm single and just cook for myself, so I make a batch of food, weigh it and then portion it out for the week. The next week I eat something different.
  • lauraldrum
    Options
    Lower calorie foods = the obvious answer, but I agree with one of the posters above who asked you to really work on getting past that need. I think that is one of the big differences between obese people and normal weight people. We should eat only until we are not hungry, not until we feel stuffed. I also harbor some fondness for the stuffed feeling - but it is not good. Even with low calorie food - it is stretching your stomach - possibly increasing reflux as the food gets pushed into the esophagus due to space issues and that can cause strictures. One of the reasons we get overweight - or even obese- is that we do not have the right cues to stop eating. For your sake, I think it is time to reevaluate what you are using food for. It really should be to fuel our bodies, not to fulfill our souls. If you really think about how you feel physically when you do that - it is no more comfortable than that mild hunger you feel with calorie restriction. So we must be assigning some nostalgic yearnings to that feeling that are misplaced.
    - Enjoy your food, and I hope you find something that works for you to accomplish your goals.

Thank you, that was very very helpful. You're totally right about fueling my body, not feeding my soul.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what most people here believe, the FOOD matters. Yes you can still be comfortably full after a meal and still lose fat. And without "filling up" on huge volumes of low calorie foods. Hint: nutrient dense foods will help you and they aren't all low calorie. Satiation has everything to do with the fat and protein that you consume, not volume. For many people consuming moderate to high carbs will also result in continual hunger and many low calorie, high volume foods are very high in carbs/sugar. When your body gets all the micro-nutrients that it needs you won't constantly feel hungry, but you also need to eat enough!

Animal fat and protein, with lots of vegetables.

Bro science. It's what's for breakfast.

I ate like this. Used to. For quite a few years. I still stuffed myself. The whole bs about it all being self-limiting? Is bs to someone used to over-stuffing themselves to feel full.

Satiety can come about with any decent ratio of carbs/fats/proteins, but a person who is not in tune with actual hunger signals and has never learned what actual fullness feels like has no clue what satiety really means.

• lauraldrum
    Options
    I agree that I need to work on WHY I want to feel full. I get hungry at night, but I save some of my Protein CHO and Fats for those night time cravings. It's all psychological. I like the idea of the soup and steamed veggies - something that I can munch on to satiate my desire to fill up my tummy a bit but not push me over on my macronutrient goals.

I normally do get a variety of foods - this past week in particular I ate the same thing because I made so much food on Sunday and portioned it out for the week. Typically I will eat the same foods a day or two in a row but then switch. My breakfasts are typically the same though -either eggs, oatmeal, protein muffin, or biggest loser pancakes. It just depends on the week.

The cheesy puffs are empty calories - but I used to be a HUGE Cheetos eater and my little bowl of a "healther version" of cheetos helps me feel just a tiny bit more normal. Sometimes I only eat three cheesy puffs, but it satisfies that craving for my "old self" - however unhealthy she was. I think I'll get over it eventually and not crave it - but a diet soda and 1 portion of the cheesy puffs puts such a huge smile on my face. I've given up all the fast food, the junk, the cookies, the butter on everything - this is what I need to hang on to at the moment. I know it's taking up some macros I could use for more nutrient dense food.

It really comes down to just finding more bang for my buck. I'm going to try the soups - any recipes you all recommend?
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I enjoy not feeling overly full anymore, once you push through that, you'll likely appreciate not feeling that way anymore.
  • tnwlkr43
    tnwlkr43 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    lauraldrum wrote: »
    tnwlkr43 wrote: »
    According to your journal you eat the same thing every day for lunch and supper just about. If this is the case I suggest you trying adding a variety and try to do 1 protein 1 starch and 1 non starch. I usually have some type of meat, and several veggies.

Personally I dont want to feel stuffed because I was miserable when I felt that way...
    Yes, that was just this week because I'm single and just cook for myself, so I make a batch of food, weigh it and then portion it out for the week. The next week I eat something different.

You still need a variety...there is just the two of us so not much difference. I will cook up say chicken enough for a couple of days....then I will make another entree that I can switch between days. Then I keep turkey burgers made up in the freezer, I have shrimp cocktail/regular shrimp in the freezer and individual packets of fish. Then I just make sides like spaghetti squash, mashed cauliflower etc

The entrees are usually the biggest part to cook for 1 or 2 people.. If you keep eating the same thing for a week or several days you are going to get burnt out. Make more than one entree to switch out and same with your sides then you can alternate during the week and then at the end of the week whatever is left freeze.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Have your serving of cheesy puffs if you want them. Seriously, don't feel bad about it!

If you want some very filling/low calorie meals, I recommend cauliflower fried 'rice' http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/cauliflower-fried-rice.html

Something else I love is spaghetti squash with a ground turkey (or beef), tomatoes, peppers and onions sauce.

For soups I just buy broth and typically do leek/onions/cauliflower or cauliflower/onions/carrots, or carrots/onions/cabbage. Nothing to do but mix it all together and boil then blend it.

Anyway, I cook for myself a lot too (lunch every day), and buy ground beef or some chicken breasts or pork chops and a lot of frozen veggies (I stock up on steamables when they're on sale at $1) and it takes 5 minutes to make a meal with my George Foreman grill. Plus they typically last a week in the fridge so I can alternate my meals (I get bored easily eating the same things). I can make rice for a few days too or just bake a potato or something to go with it. I just found I'm more satisfied when I crave something and find ways to make it for little calories, and less likely to binge that way.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    berz82 wrote: »
    its better to have a breakfast but just a small one than save your cals for bigger meals so your not overwhelming your stomach.

What?
    aalman12 wrote: »
    Eating a bigger breakfast it will help you feel fuller, snacking on stuff like almonds, celery, or green veggies is good also. Make sure you are eating enough fiber and protein throughout the day also, if you are not eating enough lean protein your body will not feel full.

YMMV. Eating a bigger breakfast makes me hungry because I function better on eating up to half of my calories in the evening. I do well skipping breakfast and just opting for brunch as well, then a late lunch, and then 1000+ calories during the evening.

Your body will feel full with or without "lean protein." You can eat fatty protein, straight up fat, high volume of carbs, or just not snack and eat large meals. I rarely snack other than in the evening when I'm eating 1000+ calories within a 4-5 hour window (or something more like a 1-2hr window).
  • ana3067
    Options
    Contrary to what most people here believe, the FOOD matters. Yes you can still be comfortably full after a meal and still lose fat. And without "filling up" on huge volumes of low calorie foods. Hint: nutrient dense foods will help you and they aren't all low calorie. Satiation has everything to do with the fat and protein that you consume, not volume. For many people consuming moderate to high carbs will also result in continual hunger and many low calorie, high volume foods are very high in carbs/sugar. When your body gets all the micro-nutrients that it needs you won't constantly feel hungry, but you also need to eat enough!

Animal fat and protein, with lots of vegetables.

Volume is easily satiating.
    stomach-chart-wtextrecsmall-1.jpg

Most nutrient-dense foods ARE low calorie, because they are nutrient-dense instead of being calorie-dense.

OP can eat more than just veggies for carbs: fruit, pasta, bread, grains, candy if desired, drinks if desired, etc.
  • ana3067
    Options
    OP, your calorie goal is still too low. Seems like you are avoiding this information, because it doesn't matter how many chickens you eat every day, at 900-1000 calories you will NOT be full, ever. And at your weight, a 1400 goal is not at all necessary.

1lb/week goal, eat up to your goal every day, eat back at least half of your exercise calories, and see how you feel. If you feel full and happy and are losing weight consistently, then drop it to 1.5lb/week if you'd like to try a faster weight loss rate. If you start feeling hungry again, go back to 1lb/week.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to eat until I couldn't fit another bite as well. The difference is I don't miss that feeling. In fact on the couple of occasions that I have overstuffed myself I don't feel well at all. Maybe because that feeling reminds me of a time when I wasn't very happy with myself (because I was so overweight).
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I know what feeling you mean, but the pleasurable feeling of being overfull never lasted. It was like using drugs, or drinking too much coffee. Once I came down it was worse than before. There is this other feeling that I get from being really satisfied after a really delicious meal. I am not stuffed. I feel just right. It's similar to the pleasure of that overstuffed feeling, but when it goes away I still feel good. You should try some variety in your diet. Cook the most delicious meals within your calorie limits. Eat slowly. Enjoy them. Avoid distracted eating. Try to find low calorie comfort foods. Roasted brussells sprouts are super filling, and yummy. Cut in half, toss with olive oil spray, season with course ground garlic salt, bake at 475, toss and re-season after ten minutes. After about ten more minutes they are tender inside and semi crispy out. Delicious and satisfying:-) Good luck in your journey.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Tofu Shirataki noodles. I think they are 15 calories a cup. At our grocery store, they are in the fruit and vegetable section, with the tofurkey and sprouts. They are noodles, but not bread noodles, mushroom noodles, and they are only 15 (ish?) calories for a cup. Use that, with some reduced calorie alfredo sauce, spinach, mushrooms and shrimp...it's AWESOME! HUGE volume for not alot of calories.

Saw these at Walmart the other day. I have been wanting to try them. When I saw how much they were, I passed on it. I am on a budget and they wanted $2.98 for only 8 oz bag (some of that is the juice/water). I will stick with my spaghetti squash. It fills me up good with hardly any calories or carbs :)
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I find that protein keeps me full and have that fuller feeling. Funny thing is, after a year of this, when I get that super full feeling, I hate it now. I had guests and a birthday party this weekend and I felt that super full feeling...it makes me not want to eat as much now, when before I liked that feeling. Maybe eventually you won't like it!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I drink water before eating and it makes me feel fuller. That being said, I detest feeling full. Years ago, I started eating smaller meals (that used to be recommended; now, not so much...) and articles I read said that the feeling I should be going for is "I wish I had more but I know I don't need it". So I eliminated feeling full as my goal. It worked for me. I actually gained weight from eating candy which isn't filling at all.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am convinced that the biggest factor in my weight loss has been learning the difference between not hungry and full. Unless you're willing to settle for not hungry most of the time, I'm not sure you can lose weight.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am convinced that the biggest factor in my weight loss has been learning the difference between not hungry and full. Unless you're willing to settle for not hungry most of the time, I'm not sure you can lose weight.

I agree. I like the way you described the two feelings. I think it's mental. I changed my way of thinking and don't feel like I'm depriving myself. And eating smaller meals helps a lot. I always know I will eat again "soon" and won't ever feel "hungry".
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of feeling stuffed to the point of "can't eat another bite" (it personally makes me feel disgusting, even if it fits in my calories!) but I can definitely appreciate the need to feel satisfied after a meal. I eat chicken breast and a baked potato with a side of steamed veggies for dinner almost every night and I totally get that satisfied feeling. Potatoes especially do that for me and that's why I include some form of them in my dinner most nights, and also because I'm someone who gets the nighttime munchies otherwise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: two pages in, can you consolidate some information for us?

First: How old are you?
    Second, how tall?
    Third, how much do you weigh and what's your goal?
    Fourth, how active are you?

I'm sure some of the answers are all over the place, but this would be easier.

Do you know your BMR and TDEE?

thanks
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Wow, really? One of my great reliefs in my MFP diet is never feeling stuffed. I even kind of enjoy the "I'm really hungry" feeling because I rarely got it when I snacked all day. But drinking a pint of water before a meal and/or starting the meal with a brothy (not creamy) soup or salad should help you feel more satisfied.