Schwinn Recumbent Bike calorie burn

Options
Hi all.
I recently bought a Schwinn 270 recumbent bike. It's nice and I love it, but i have a question on the calorie burn it shows. After 50 minutes on the bike, program or no program, it shows about 160 calories burned. Usually I can get in about 11 miles in this time.

When I plug that exercise into my fitness pal, it shows that 50 minutes on a stationary bike (general, normal speed) would be 342 calories burned.

I know MFP can overestimate sometimes, but I feel like the 160 is on the lower end, but I dont want to overestimate calories burned either because that wouldn't benefit my weight loss.

Anyone know if the 160 is correct, or should it be closer to a midrange number between the 160 and 340?

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I would say that 50 minutes at a 13mph pace is more than 160 cal. Best is to use a heart rate monitor although I have found that my HRM and MFP are usually close.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    thank you, I guessed it was more as well, but I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what the correct calorie burn would be. I wear a fitbit, but I don't think it has HRM capabilities.
  • colleenhere
    colleenhere Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i got a polar H7 HRM, bluetooth that connects to the phone app (no need for watch, tho you can buy one) and although i know they are not 100% correct either, i feel like it is at least a constant when i measure exercise output. they're only like $60 i think and i love it!
  • bhrc4
    bhrc4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a Schwinn elliptical. The calories is heavily influenced by resistance. Their computer counts more resistance as gearing on a bike and you travel more miles for the same revolutions. That said, I still think it's pretty darn low.