shoulder, chest and upper arm exercises helpp!!

Options
My second post already now that I have finally sorted my diet plan out can anyone recommend any good shoulder chest and upper arm exercises because I seem to struggle to gain anything in these areas can someone ever so helpfully suggest anything?
Thanks!

Replies

• jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What's your routine for upper body now??
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting, you should be focusing on compound lifts first. That includes bench press and overhead press, which work your ches, shoulders, and arms. Are you following an established routine or creating one yourself?
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Basic main lifts for shoulders, chest and triceps

Shoulders: Strict Standing Barbell Overhead Press
    Chest: Flat Barbell Bench Press
    Triceps: Close Grip Bench Press

Secondaries, you may want to incorporate some of these after doing main lifts if you have enough time. If not, focus on the main lifts.

Shoulders: Seated dumbbell shoulder press, seated barbell/smith shoulder press, side lateral raises
    Chest: Dumbbell bench press (flat, incline and decline), chest dips, cable flies/dumbbell flies
    Triceps: Dips, skullcrushers, overhead behind the neck tricep extensions, tricep cable pushdowns, kickbacks

Look up on youtube how do properly execute each movement before attempting them.

I train all three on the same day, however, I focus on chest more on one day, shoulders more on another day.

Example week for me (I have a lot of spare time):

Sunday:

Flat Barbell Bench Press 5 sets of 3-6 reps
    Incline Dumbbell Press 3 sets of 6-12 reps
    Cable Flies From Low Pullies 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Side Lateral Raises 3-5 sets of 8-15 reps
    Close Grip Bench Press 4-5 sets of 6-10 reps
    Cable Tricep Pushdowns 3-5 sets until failure
    Overhead Behind The Neck Tricep Extesions 3-5 sets until failure

Thursday:

Strict Standing Barbell Overhead Press 5 sets of 3-6 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3-5 sets of 6-10 reps
    Seated Smith Machine Overhead Press 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps
    Flat Dumbbell Bench Press 2-4 sets of 6-10 reps
    Cable Flies From High Pullies 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps
    Side Lateral Raises 3-5 sets of 8-15 reps
    Cable Tricep Pushdowns 3-5 sets until failure
    Dips 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Overhead Behind The Neck Tricep Extensions 3-5 sets until failure
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you're lifting, you should be focusing on compound lifts first. That includes bench press and overhead press, which work your ches, shoulders, and arms. Are you following an established routine or creating one yourself?

She speaks the truth. Go as heavy as you can, for 3 - 6 reps for strength, five sets. If you are at 5 reps for all 5 sets, then up the weight. The heavier the better. And it is important to do squats and deadlifts to keep your testosterone and growth hormone going.

• aidancuthbertson1993
    Options
    Smashing guys will definitely do these at the gym tomorrow problem I face at the gym I am at currently is that they only have dumbbells no barbells could I still preform the same exercises with 2 dumbbells to get the equivalent of weight I should be lifting as a barbell?