Butter vs Margerine

Hi all

Late last year I made the switch from margarine to butter as I'd read it was better for you overall. However now I am wondering if it's hindering my weight loss, have you switched between the two? Did you notice any difference?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    As long as switching didn't negate your deficit, you shouldn't have a problem
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Haha, yes. I switched from margarine to butter a few months ago. No, it hasn't changed my weight loss.

Don't do it. Butter is far superior.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I don't know why it would hinder your weight loss, if you're weighing or measuring it properly. I keep forgetting they even make margarine anymore.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Butter is so delicious. I cook eggs in it, sauté asparagus, use it on grilled cheese sandwiches, toast. But I am calculate it and make sure it is added to my log. I grew up on margarine. It's disgusting.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Team butter here. Don't most margarines have a similar calorie content to butter anyway?
    I've had to cut back on bread and potatoes, because to me they are really just a delivery mechanism for the butter.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    We only use butter. I don't have any margarine in the house at all. You just have to weigh it like everything else, and use moderation.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited March 2015
    I only have butter. Wouldn't ever even buy margarine. Not really sure what the "point" of it is. Is it for Lactose intolerant people??
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Margarine = disgusting
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    I switched to real butter several years ago and don't want to ever go back. We cook almost everything in real butter or extra virgin olive oil.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Margarine is made from hydrogenated fats, which are very bad for you. Eat the butter. I think their calorie counts are similar, but just log the butter you use and stay within your calorie allowance.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Butter is wonderful why would you want to give that up?
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Butter all the way baby!
  • boniface4jesus
    boniface4jesus Posts: 2 Member
    Butter is better. Some brands are simple ingredients, like milk and maybe salt.

Margarine has lots of chemicals in its ingredient list.
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    #teambutter ;)
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Butter!
  • I get the feeling that people are making their decisions from a very dated perception of margarine. Agreed that margarine does contain trans fats, but in a quantity far less than when margarine was first introduced. Now margarine is made with very little trans fats. Butter on the other hand contains around 50gr saturated fat per 100gr, compared to 14gr/100 for margarine. That's half of what you're eating being saturated fat. Now this is the killer. Saturated fat increases LDL cholesterol (the bad one) which is a serious risk factor for cardiovascular disease. With cardiovascular disease being one of the largest causes of death in the western world, it would probably be prudent to reduce our consumption of saturated fats. Margarine has unfortunately been stuck with this stigma of being man made and not good for us, however it has developed significantly over time and is not nearly the same product it used to be. At the end of the day, individuals need to do what is best for them. If eating butter over margarine makes someone feel better, then who am I to say that someone's physical well being is more important than their mental well being.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    I get the feeling that people are making their decisions from a very dated perception of margarine. Agreed that margarine does contain trans fats, but in a quantity far less than when margarine was first introduced. Now margarine is made with very little trans fats. Butter on the other hand contains around 50gr saturated fat per 100gr, compared to 14gr/100 for margarine. That's half of what you're eating being saturated fat. Now this is the killer. Saturated fat increases LDL cholesterol (the bad one) which is a serious risk factor for cardiovascular disease. With cardiovascular disease being one of the largest causes of death in the western world, it would probably be prudent to reduce our consumption of saturated fats. Margarine has unfortunately been stuck with this stigma of being man made and not good for us, however it has developed significantly over time and is not nearly the same product it used to be. At the end of the day, individuals need to do what is best for them. If eating butter over margarine makes someone feel better, then who am I to say that someone's physical well being is more important than their mental well being.

Personally, I get the feeling that we are mostly team butter, because it tastes good.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Butter is awesome and the calorie content is the same, why switch back. I also like to always keep ghee (clarified butter) to cook on higher heat without the smoking.

Seriously, margarine is vile.
  • stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Always butter. Even just imagining cutting off a piece of crusty bread and putting margarine on it makes me want to set my whole kitchen on fire.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    I get the feeling that people are making their decisions from a very dated perception of margarine. Agreed that margarine does contain trans fats, but in a quantity far less than when margarine was first introduced. Now margarine is made with very little trans fats. Butter on the other hand contains around 50gr saturated fat per 100gr, compared to 14gr/100 for margarine. That's half of what you're eating being saturated fat. Now this is the killer. Saturated fat increases LDL cholesterol (the bad one) which is a serious risk factor for cardiovascular disease. With cardiovascular disease being one of the largest causes of death in the western world, it would probably be prudent to reduce our consumption of saturated fats. Margarine has unfortunately been stuck with this stigma of being man made and not good for us, however it has developed significantly over time and is not nearly the same product it used to be. At the end of the day, individuals need to do what is best for them. If eating butter over margarine makes someone feel better, then who am I to say that someone's physical well being is more important than their mental well being.
    Keep researching, but try more scholarly avenues.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    I can't get margarine down at all. But yes, you can lose weight with butter. Thank god.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    We only use butter, my husband banned margarine years ago. I used to eat flora light when I lived on my own. We also use whole milk. I still lose weight.

Obviously if you use loads of butter and aren't in a deficit you won't lose, but you can just use a small amount.
  • tomatoey
    One tip: if you cook with butter, you can use less if you use an enamelled pan (vs. stainless steel or even cast iron). I don't know why, but it doesn't burn - less seems to go further.
  • tomatoey

I bet you work for Big Margarine
  • Spicer63
    Spicer63 Posts: 2
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Margarine = disgust
  • Spicer63
    Spicer63 Posts: 2
    What about the spray butter?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    Spicer63 wrote: »
    What about the spray butter?
    You mean sprays that look like butter, but aren't, still margarine.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Butter is what I use.
    If it fits your calorie goal you will still lose weight.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Butter
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    How is this still a question? Butter is infinitely better in all ways to margarine.