Anyone using some serious dogwalking as part of their programme?

Options
Mine's a Vizsla now 7 months old so we are starting to ramp up the time and distances. By 1 year she'll need 2 - 3 hours per day. I love my dog - she's so typical of her breed.....so like a kid that just ate all the Skittles :-D

Replies

• jamcait
    jamcait Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I to have a vizsla and a gw pointer I do 6 to 10 miles a day 7 days a week 365 days of the year all off lead so they are doing at least twice my distances I have used it for all my exercise and with sensible logged eating have lost 90lb if you are doing of road walking it's much more physical :)
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I mostly take my dogs. Toy poodle n chihuahua long walks in the summer they are tiny so they hate winter like me lol but I like to take them over 2 hours we take breaks at the lake then go go go!! ihhfhkadn4zh.jpg
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My terrier mix is my walking companion early mornings most days of the week. I add those exercise times into my daily logging, but it's the mental health benefits I gain the most from.
    We do 1-3 miles daily.
    Enjoy the bonding!
  • balibee146
    balibee146 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    jamcait wrote: »
    Hello I to have a vizsla and a gw pointer I do 6 to 10 miles a day 7 days a week 365 days of the year all off lead so they are doing at least twice my distances I have used it for all my exercise and with sensible logged eating have lost 90lb if you are doing of road walking it's much more physical :)

Thanks - impressive. We've not really had our girl off lead yet.....been advised to wait by our trainer as she is particularly wizzy even by viz standards. We have her on a 10 metre line and she runs rings around us :-) Fabulous dogs
  • balibee146
    Options
    Babybellyfat and mjcb - fantastic! Lovely dogs. I can't quote and reply all of a sudden - something's gone awry on the links :-)
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My dog Wilson was having similar weight management issues as me. Now after 8 weeks on MFP we are both showing the benefits. We are now averaging almost 10km a day.

• Lisgetsfitter
    Lisgetsfitter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just adopted a Shepard mix 1 year old dog she needs a lot of exercise. I might start logging it in when we go out. It's been so icy and snow every where our walks have been short
  • fat2fitvegan
    fat2fitvegan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have a GSD/Malinois mix so my workout is his warmup. We do 30-40 minute walks with a little jog (in the grass for him since he's still young) most mornings. He is 11 months old and ready to get leaner and put on some muscle, so we've been steadily increasing our physical activity (or at least his) to a couple hours a day. Eventually my goal is to regularly run with him once he's 2 years old and hopefully we can find some dog-friendly races that we can do!
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    That's how I began my journey of losing 60lbs and eventually entering Bodybuilding comps. I walked my dog (boston terrier)...first for 30 mins a day and within 6 weeks, we were up to 2 hrs a day...not all at once. It was amazing..and he looked great.
  • nc_crittersitter
    nc_crittersitter Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cool! Thanks to the new dog my hubby volunteered to take I am getting up and out more often. He is an Australian Cattle Dog aka Blue Heeler and FULL of energy. He is somewhere in the vicinity of 1yr old...was NOT housebroken, leash trained etc... Get the picture? Lol but he is a smart fella and is learning fast and the walking is helping us all to bond! ☺
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have two Brittany dogs that need a lot of walking. Generally at least three miles a day with 10-15 mile hikes on the weekends. Best part of my day usually.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have a cockapoo named "Buddy" and he just loves the outdoors. We have trails in the back that run for miles. We usually do 2 to 3 miles every other day come spring time.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have a 13 month old German Shepherd and I include his walks as exercise. Right now we generally walk 30 minutes and it's uphill/downhill and some flat areas in my neighborhood. He would walk all day long if I allowed it LOL. There are no slow walks with him and he's great motivation since he just goes and goes. As I get more conditioned for walking, and weather permitting, I will increase our walks.
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I still had my dog (a Labrador) we used to walk at least 5-6 km's every day, often more. Plus in the summer when the weather was nice we would go for long swims in the lake (I used to have a tennis ball with me that I would throw so that she would get more exercise - I got quite good at throwing a ball whilst trying to stay above water :smiley: ). That kept the weight off nicely.
    Then she died, I no longer had an (exercise) buddy and now I'm here, trying to lose what I've gained.
    Dogs are absolutely the best and I miss mine so much :disappointed:

Vizlas are fantastic. I can just about imagine how energetic she must be :smiley:
  • hopemarie73
    hopemarie73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a beagle, Grace and a pointer/beagle mix, Jake. I live in CO and the weather has been horrible. Does anyone know if there is a group on here for people with dogs. I would love to get encouragement from fellow dog owners/lovers...maybe we can even do a challenge to help get us moving more. Just an idea.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have two soft coated Wheaten Terriers and walk them between 6 and 10km daily.
  • rhian_davies2
    Options
    I've got a 10 month old beagle we road walk between 2-3 miles week days and a lot more on the weekends :D
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tq2dmrtch7os.jpg

It was walking my dog that got me on the road to fitness, I thought to myself I can turn this into a good workout for me and the dog. So instead of just plodding along for 30 min walk I turned it into a speed walk for an hour. Then threw in some hills along the route, then added another 30 mins etc etc. That was three months ago and Ive now lost 12kg gone down 3 pant sizes and have started jog/walking. I feel great look a hell of a lot better and its all thanks to my dog as if I didn't have him I would just be in the house on the xbox. So thank you Merlin (that's me dogs name) even though he now hates me for making him walk for three hours ;)
  • balibee146
    Options
    When I still had my dog (a Labrador) we used to walk at least 5-6 km's every day, often more. Plus in the summer when the weather was nice we would go for long swims in the lake (I used to have a tennis ball with me that I would throw so that she would get more exercise - I got quite good at throwing a ball whilst trying to stay above water :smiley: ). That kept the weight off nicely.
    Then she died, I no longer had an (exercise) buddy and now I'm here, trying to lose what I've gained.
    Dogs are absolutely the best and I miss mine so much :disappointed:

Vizlas are fantastic. I can just about imagine how energetic she must be :smiley:

Awww I'm so sorry - must be heartbreaker :-( and thanks my V pup is so great - total cheeky madam at times but so loving and we adore her.
    Xxx
  • balibee146
    Options
    Lovely to hear about and see your dogs (hi Merlin you are such a cutie :-) ).
    Xxxx