Smoking...

Options
2»

Replies

• LilyOfTheValley008
    LilyOfTheValley008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I smoked socially first year of University, and was well on my way to becoming a daily smoker.
    When my friend was diagnosed with a form of bone cancer though I quit immediately, feeling sick and ashamed of myself.
    Btw for those trying to quit who HAVEN'T yet read Allen Carr's Easyway I highly recommend it (3 people I know already quit for their new year's resolution with that book's help!)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i smoked up to two packs a day for 18+ years. quit last year. if i can do it - ANYONE can. used e cigs and took it gradually down to 0 nicotine within 4 months. boom. done.

don't miss it a bit. i feel better, i don't get sick as often, i don't have the persistent phlegmy cough. i don't STINK. my HOUSE doesn't STINK.

i know pipe and cigar smoking is different than cigarettes (my husband is an occasional cigar smoker- no, NOT in the house! LOL)

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm a smoker, a heavy smoker, about a pack and a half per day. I tried to quit multiple times, but failed. I don't know if it affects my performance as I don't remember ever being active when I didn't smoke. I can run decently but after the run I get this kind of annoying wheezing for a few minutes. I have plants to quit again (funny you should post this today, I am planning to quit tomorrow) and hoping this time will it will all work out. I wanted to try a certain drug but the doctor did not approve of it since it has side effects that may bring back previous conditions. I don't have access to any other aids so I'm hoping I can muscle through this time.

Forget about dieting. The world is your plate, you eat whatever you want when you have a craving. Thats what I would recommend. Noone knocks the pregnant woman for eating weird stuff and a lot of it. So if anyone asks, just say you are quitting smoking and the money you save on cigs you spend on food in order to not spend it on cigs. But dont worry...you will not become a food addict, it is not replacing the habit, because eating junk doesnt get you addicted to junk. Soon as the cravings go away, and you feel that you have absolutely quit, then start back on the diet. Heck, you are saving about $200 per month just for quitting, so money isnt the issue. I gained 30-lbs on 7-Eleven snacks, but you know what? I quit, and I lost the weight. I didnt mess around with gum or the patch. The gum tastes like crap, and I am too sweaty for the patch. So I just ate. I ended up giving the gum away to someone else that was quitting.

Whatever you do, just be sure of one thing....you have to be sure that you 100% HATE smoking. When I quit, I felt guilty every single time I lit up. Thats how I knew I would succeed.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I smoke, heavy smoker, 1-1.5 packs a day. I will continue to smoke until I don't want to. I'd like to add that I am always respectful with smoking (never in a non smoking section, near children, pregnant women, or the likes).
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I smoke weed.
    Just remember the munchies are all in your head
    ;)

Lol I must be the only person who really doesn't get the munchies

I never got them either, it made me thirsty, so I drank a lot of water instead. Only time in my life that I ever got down to 135 lbs. Hoping to get there again, but this time in a healthy way!