Less Cardio= less endurance?

Options
So I lift 6 days a week with a half hour cardio (daily) on the stepmill or tabata sprints on treadmill. My goal is to see muscle definition bc I hve lost 70 pounds. My diet is 90% clean. Too much cardio? What think ye? I'm afraid if I lessen my cardio that my endurance for bootcamps & running will lessen. I try to have a balance but also want to work according to the goal. Just curious what yal think.

Replies

• Dopsonr
    Dopsonr Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can increase your endurance by changing your lifting routine a little bit. What is your current general set/rep/exercise for your lifting sessions?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Normally yes. However if you bump the intensity with less rest time between sets, you shouldn't see a very significant difference. And it doesn't sound like a lot of cardio at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What's you lifting split like? Most splits are 4x weekly alternating upper and lower body...sometimes 5...why are you doing 6? 30 minutes of cardio isn't that much cardio...but you should be taking at least one rest day.

Just for reference and a matter of perspective, I ride 80-100 miles per week which puts me on my bike 6 days per week for at least an hour...with a longer ride on Sunday. I do a full body lifting program 3x weekly. I have pretty good muscle definition save for I just did a 4 month bulk cycle and just started my cut last week...in a couple months I should be fairly lean and have great definition.

To have good muscle definition you have to have muscle...and you have to cut the fat to show off that muscle. I would highly recommend following and already established and tried and true lifting program for optimal results in that RE.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Normally yes. However if you bump the intensity with less rest time between sets, you shouldn't see a very significant difference. And it doesn't sound like a lot of cardio at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

+1

I worry about that all the time as well about tweaking cardio duration but it can definitely be made up else where.

Good luck!

P.S. Congrats OP on the weight loss! :D

• kimcondray
    kimcondray Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What's you lifting split like? Most splits are 4x weekly alternating upper and lower body...sometimes 5...why are you doing 6? 30 minutes of cardio isn't that much cardio...but you should be taking at least one rest day.

Just for reference and a matter of perspective, I ride 80-100 miles per week which puts me on my bike 6 days per week for at least an hour...with a longer ride on Sunday. I do a full body lifting program 3x weekly. I have pretty good muscle definition save for I just did a 4 month bulk cycle and just started my cut last week...in a couple months I should be fairly lean and have great definition.

To have good muscle definition you have to have muscle...and you have to cut the fat to show off that muscle. I would highly recommend following and already established and tried and true lifting program for optimal results in that RE.

I lift a shoulders mon, legs (glutes&hams) tues, chest&tris wed, back & bis thurs, leg day (quads&cal) fri & sat triceps again because that's my problem area
  • kimcondray
    Options
    Dopsonr wrote: »
    You can increase your endurance by changing your lifting routine a little bit. What is your current general set/rep/exercise for your lifting sessions?

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I said this in your other thread, you need to find and follow a program. Any workout can make you sore, but following a program is going to give you better results. I also find it hard to believe that triceps is "problem area". If you mean you have loose skin there or fat there you aren't going to impact either of those by isolating triceps.
  • kimcondray
    Options
    I do super sets, drop sets, trisets ect : 3-4 sets w 8-12 reps (lifting heavy). I also do fst7 or 21's at end of workout as "burnouts".
  • kimcondray
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I said this in your other thread, you need to find and follow a program. Any workout can make you sore, but following a program is going to give you better results. I also find it hard to believe that triceps is "problem area". If you mean you have loose skin there or fat there you aren't going to impact either of those by isolating triceps.

I hate my triceps lol that why it's my "problem" area. I find it hard to get them
  • kimcondray
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

+1

I worry about that all the time as well about tweaking cardio duration but it can definitely be made up else where.

Good luck!

P.S. Congrats OP on the weight loss! :D

Thx!☺️
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    kimcondray wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

I hate my triceps lol that why it's my "problem" area. I find it hard to get them

Honestly, they're probably just fine but you can't see them due to body fat. Even if they lag a little there is no guarantee you are training them effectively, which is why I keep suggesting that you pick a plan.
  • kimcondray
    Options
    :) thx.
  • goldfox23
    goldfox23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I ve started crossfit classes with modifications as I have injuries but i cannot find crossfit anywhere on this site, so how do I log it and it has to be more than 97 calories / session
  • kimcondray
    Options
    I'm not sure. U may want to make this a thread so others can help