Discouraged =(

Options
I'm soooo discouraged :mad: . I know I'm not supposed to expect immediate results, but losing at least one pound would be nice! I've been at this for two weeks. Worked out at least 3-4 times both weeks, loged every single thing that I eat, and stayed under my calories every day for the exception of one cheat day. Is that one cheat day the one day that's bringing me down?? I've lost 0 lbs! Not a single one. One day I woke up and saw that I lost 4 lbs...but those came back within a matter of hours. Monday I weighed myself and I somehow went up 6 lbs! Now I'm back down to my starting weight. What's going on!

I know it's only been two weeks, but shouldn't I see *some* kind of improvement or something??? With all this work I'm doing just to stay at my current weight, I feel like I may as well not be doing anything at all!

Am I expecting too much?

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The cheat day could have done it especially if it was power packed with sodium.
  • iluvmine
    iluvmine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    oh man the story of my life, i know exactly how you feel and its driving me crazy. maybe you should elimate your cheat day for a week, and see how that goes. good luck.
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and only weigh in once a week (twice at the most). The scale is evil and can fluctuate greatly from day to day regardless of exercise and caloric input. Be sure to drink lots of water throughout the day and during your workout.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Might be due to staying under your calories...your body could be in starvation mode and holding onto the weight....try to eat the recommended amount, especially if your exercising. Good luck!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, or anything about your size, it is hard to comment here. Have you tried tracking your measurements instead of weight? I see much more progress there.
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For some people it takes a while to see results. Think of it this way.....it didn't take 2 weeks to put on the weight, then no one should expect the weight to come off in 2 weeks. Also, your weight can fluctuate throughout the day, up to 4 pounds of more at at time. Always weigh in the morning after you went to the bathroom. I usually weigh once a week and thats it. Drink tons of water to flush out any extra salt that is in your diet because salt can cause water weight gain. My advice is to be consistent, eat clean, and ramp up your workouts. Hope this helps!
  • Julesfame
    Julesfame Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Are you eating healthy? Are you drinking your water and eating back your workout calories? I try to drink a lot of water and eat back at least half my workout calories. Eat lean protein and lots of fruit and veggies. Keep your sodium to a minimum. Keep at it. You are right, weight loss won't happen all at once. Remember, you didn't gain all the weight all at once. Good luck.
  • chelzmartinez
    chelzmartinez Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I started out the same way and it took about 3.5 weeks to actually see something move on the scale. It took that long to see the scale move down 3 pounds. I work out 6 days a week and I also have cheat days as well but I get back on the horse the next day. Too many people get discouraged too soon. Don't give up yet, keep on keepin' on and you'll be losing in no time. I'm down 30 pounds, if I can do it, so can you! :-)

Good luck!
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Go get your body fat tested. I bet you have lost body fat but maybe gained a bit of muscle.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising and staying within your calorie limits then you are not, not making a difference. There could be lots of reasons why you are not seeing a difference in weight. Sodium, TOM, An unusually excessive workout will make your muscles retain water while they repair themselves. Did you take measurements? If not, you should.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think it takes more than 2 weeks for some people. It did for me. It is discouraging when you see people dropping 8lbs in the first week, but it probably just means you didn't have water retention when you started. The first few weeks are just water weight.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for two months now and have only seen fluctuations in my weight. Two weeks isn't enough time for your body to realize that you are making changes!! You can't let yourself be discouraged by lack of weight loss. It could take months like me!
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    Also they say don't eat salad on a day you weigh. Don't get me wrong, eating salad is very, very good but it makes you retain water. Stick with it! One day soon, you'll weigh and the results will be amazing!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public so we can see what you're doing. Without seeing how you're eating, it's really hard to make any sort of guess.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo discouraged :mad: . I know I'm not supposed to expect immediate results, but losing at least one pound would be nice! I've been at this for two weeks. Worked out at least 3-4 times both weeks, loged every single thing that I eat, and stayed under my calories every day for the exception of one cheat day. Is that one cheat day the one day that's bringing me down?? I've lost 0 lbs! Not a single one. One day I woke up and saw that I lost 4 lbs...but those came back within a matter of hours. Monday I weighed myself and I somehow went up 6 lbs! Now I'm back down to my starting weight. What's going on!

I know it's only been two weeks, but shouldn't I see *some* kind of improvement or something??? With all this work I'm doing just to stay at my current weight, I feel like I may as well not be doing anything at all!

Am I expecting too much?

you need to have PLENTY of patience!! dont lose the motivation. If your doing everything right, the weight will come off. The EXACT same thing happened to me when i started. I lost 4 lbs right away, then i gained 2, then 1 and then i was right back where i started. After 3 wks, i lost the 4 lbs and my weight stayed there for 6 wks! i worked out 5X wk, ate salads, plenty of fish, chicken, i cut out sodas completely and fast food. Finally after 6 wks, i spent the weekend out of town and enjoyed not logging in everything i ate. I considered it a free well deserved weekend and ate everything and anything i wanted. When i came back home and weighed in, i lost 1 lb!! and i have been losing regulary ever since, last wk i lost 2 lbs!! What im trying to say is dont deprive your body. you can eat anything just do it in moderation! good luck!
  • WowieGarcia
    WowieGarcia Posts: 68
    Options
    Every body is different, so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you keep up with the exercise and portion control, you'll lose weight.
    I personally did not weigh myself till 4 weeks after I started MFP. It was a nice surprise to see 9 lbs lost. I don't know if I lost any weight the 1st two weeks, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that it works, and your hard work will pay off. Don't be discouraged.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm a big fan of measuring progress through inches vs. pounds. Take your hip & waist measurements, if you're so inclined, bust, thighs and bicep too. Get a friend to do it for you for the most accurate measurements.

I agree with other statements here - quit weighing yoursel fall the time! Your weight WILL fluctuate during the day. Also, drink PLENTY of water! My guage of "plenty" is half my weight in ounces of water should be consumed. So, at 190, I should be drinking 95 oz of water, or almost 12 glasses a day. If you're trying to lose weight you need to help your body "flush" it all out and stay hydrated.

Keep on keeping on! You can do it!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercising are you doing? Even after two weeks, if you're doing cardio and weight, your pounds might be shedding from fat, but building lean muscle which is denser than fat. Concentrate on cardio for a couple weeks, then you might start to see results.. and DO be patient, it doesn't happen over night although we all wish it would. You should try to eat back some if not all of your exercise calories as well, to keep your body from going into starvation.

I know how discouraging it is, but not getting on the scale every day is an important part.. with our female bodies especially, since we can fluctuate day to day with hormones, water retention etc. lots of water.. scale every day=bad

If your aunt flo is on her way in the next week, try and lower your sodium intake, so you don't retain water, but don't cut back on water.
  • try2basunbeam
    try2basunbeam Posts: 128
    Options
    I would make sure you are drinking plenty--I mean PLENTY--of water. If you exercise and don't drink enough water, your body will hold onto water. Not saying that you don't drink enough water, because I don't know if you do or don't, but for me, I was NOT drinking nearly enough water...
  • sabrinag6005
    Options
    trust me I feel you... we all deal with this. a few thoughts I have on this number one your weight can shift from day to day depending on if your holding onto water. I personally just as a rule do not weigh in more than once a month because it is sooo discouraging. At times the scale even goes up. HOWEVER I do take measurements and I'd recommend you do the same. Scales can be decieving but your measurements are not. So I'd start guaging your success more by your measurements and clothes vs the scale. The other thing is when your working out are you getting your heart rate up? Are you sweating? this makes a big difference in whether or not your working hard enough. Also how is your water consumption, and also are you eating enough, you don't want your metabolism to go backward or get even slower from not eating enough. You want your body to be a furnace/fire that needs to be stoked every few hours w something. I personally don't worry too much about a cheat day as long as your staying w/in the calore limits, you still have to live and if it gets too hard most ppl just give up. That is the worst thing to do. Hang in there it will happen just decide what is more important a number on a scale or how you look and feel? I work out 5-6days a week and track my calories, etc. and I've not lost hardly any weight on the scale, but I've lost 8.5 inches off my waist (mostly zumba) and 2.5inches from my arms, and hips... But I have better muscle tone, my clotes feel better, im more confident. But my trainor told me ignore the scale it can be your worst enemy. Also r u getting enough sleep? how old are you, hormones can play a factor too... hope this helps... good luck!!!