Weight loss surgery- Sleeve vs. Gastric.

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you couldn't even pay me to have the surgery unless it was to save my life. I have watch coworkers, friends etc go through agony because of it...sure you lose weigh fast (loose skin everywhere), sure you come off meds and all is good...until you realize you are losing muscle because you can't eat a lot of food, life totally changes, eating out become a constant explaining no it was cooked fine I am just full after a couple of bites and I could go on but I won't...you are doing great without it...I say leave well enough alone...
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    He explained to me that there are real physical changes that are made to the body when you have these surgeries. Dr's aren't sure why, but it seems to do a reboot and you can come off all medicines almost immediately. It minimizes plateau's and there are higher success rate at maintaining the weight loss.

Your doctor is right. When you lose body fat, it causes, among other unknown effects, a drop in leptin, which triggers, defensive mechanisms to try and defend fat stores, at least in some people.

The only known mechanism that resets the hormonal and neural responsivity is bariatric surgery.

Surgery also has the best success rate both in amount of weight lost and in duration of time it is kept off.

But - everyone I know who has had bariatric surgery has had issues with it. Most of them get very ill if they over-eat even the slightest bit. One lady I know of every time we go out to dinner she is constantly running to the bathroom. So it is a serious procedure and not to be undertaken lightly.

If you are succeeding without surgery, I think I would stay the course and see how well you can do with behavioral modification alone. If you start to stall out or regain, then perhaps it would be time to re-assess.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I just checked out your profile and the progress you've made is amazing. I have no idea what your overall medical background is nor would I ever qualified to give advice but it looks like you've had to fight your way back through the worst of it already. Not sure what cutting you open and modifying your body would really accomplish. You seem strong enough to do this on your own.

Of course I don't have one of those medical degree thingies......