1,000 calories burned

Options
I know people who claim to burn 1,000 calories working out at the gym. I have a 1-year-old son so I don't have time to go to the gym. I do my workouts at home with Comcast On Demand. Just curious though, how does one burn so many calories and how can I do that at home?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, and a burn will be higher for those who are larger. In my 5 or so years of working out, I've never burned 1000 calories in a single workout - on my longest runs or hardest strength workouts.

It's not necessary to burn so much - doing so only means you will need to eat more to fuel such a workout. I've reached all my weight loss goals with an average daily burn of 300-400 cals, workouts generally 60 minutes or less.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    That would be a 2 hour hard workout; most people aren't really burning that many calories in my opinion.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    At the gym? Pound hard on yourself on steady state cardio for a couple hours.

At home? Pound hard on yourself on steady state cardio for a few hours.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As others are saying, I'd question the need to intentionally expend that volume of calories.

For me, that's a good 90 minutes of trail running. Using exercise videos, you're talking 2-3 hours of effort.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    A 3-hour bicycle ride at a reasonable pace will do it ... less time if you put in a good effort.

At home, you could get a trainer (device which attaches to the rear wheel of your bicycle and allows you to ride your bicycle in the comfort of your own living room) and do commercial intervals. Pick a 60 minute show you like, ride fairly easy during the show and as hard as you can during the commercial. Do that morning and evening, and you'll be close to 1000 calories burned.

Also check stair-climbing. Climbing stairs burns a lot of calories.

I try to burn at least that much at least 2 or 3 days a week.
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I burn 1,000+ calories 1-3 times a week. On a 40+ mile bike ride, on a 6+ mile run or on a two a day (usually making up for missed training). I've never even gotten close while swimming. I don't aim to burn that much but most of my workouts exceed an hour. I enjoy eating back my calories ;)

On a side note, most people who claim to burn 1,000+ at the gym are using the machine generated estimates. Unless they are wearing a HRM I find it highly doubtful. I used to get crazy numbers on the elliptical with zero output. One of my MFP friends spends 1.5-2 hours on an eliptical and claims to burn 1800-2400 calories. I did a (sprint) triathlon yesterday and didn't even burn that much.

I haven't gone to a gym in 2 years but from what I remember it is very easy to THINK you burn that much -lol-

As far as in home workouts go, I've got one intense HIIT video that gets me to 620 in 55 minutes but I do mean intense.

You tube is a valuable and FREE source of workout videos. I used to love the 10min solution videos. I still do them from time to time when the weather is bad. Also, if you use Dumbbells the fitness blender Tabata series is good.

Hope that helps :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1000 kcal for me is about a fifteen mile run or a 50 mile bike ride at a pretty good clip.

I guess I could do the equivalent of that in fitnessblender/Insanity videos at home...but I wouldn't want to.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    I know people who claim to burn 1,000 calories working out at the gym. I have a 1-year-old son so I don't have time to go to the gym. I do my workouts at home with Comcast On Demand. Just curious though, how does one burn so many calories and how can I do that at home?

my wife and i have a one and a half year old. we make time to go to the gym and exercise.

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    In my opinion 1,000+ calorie burns are not necessary for weight loss/maintenance. I lost 50 pounds in a year burning only about 200-400 calories 3 times a week. Do what you can at home OR as other's have said, make the time to go to the gym and exercise. The other alternative is to work out at home while your little one is asleep, you may be able to get a solid hour in then :)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Lots of good free videos on youtube. TO burn 1000 cals you would have to give'er pretty hard for at least 90 minutes.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

my wife and i have a one and a half year old. we make time to go to the gym and exercise.

There's also nothing wrong with working out at home. When my kids were small, I did intense yoga routines, bodyweight exercizes and saved up to buy myself a comprehensive set of dumbbells that I could lift while my kids watched cartoons or napped. I was in thinner/leaner shape then than I am now regularly going to the gym.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »

There's also nothing wrong with working out at home. When my kids were small, I did intense yoga routines, bodyweight exercizes and saved up to buy myself a comprehensive set of dumbbells that I could lift while my kids watched cartoons or napped. I was in thinner/leaner shape then than I am now regularly going to the gym.

except you know, it's not efficient.

Most people don't care about efficiency though.

You're in thinner/leaner shape then because you're carrying extra (comparatively) bodyfat now.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The elliptical tells me I burn about 800-900 calories after an hour (I'm 195lbs). I always it's assume it's overestimating, so my guess is I'd at least need 1.5-2 hours to hit a 1000 calorie burn.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    10+ mile runs at an aggressive pace (~8mph) should be burning over 1000
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    10+ mile runs at an aggressive pace (~8mph) should be burning over 1000

Took me 13.2 miles run yesterday and I didn't even crack 1000 calories according to my HRM. This was running at an 8min/mi (7.5mph). It really does depend on how big you are and how efficient your "engine" is.
  • RachelMcBride91
    RachelMcBride91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The wii fit has a wee equation it uses to work your calories out @cruzmom123‌, if that's any use to you. METS are the difficulty of the activity your doing, so exercise dvds are 5, which is the highest, anything that makes you sweat alot is 5. So the less you feel worked out the less the MET should be, walking up and down stairs at a good pace or walking at 3mph is 3 METS. So that in mind, take your METs, say 5 for a dvd, your weight in pounds, the amount of time you did in hours and times it altogether with 0.48. The wii doesn't explain what the 0.48 is for but I trust it as I'm losing weight steadily.

So, 5x254(thats my weight)x0.5x0.48=304.8kcals

Working out for half an hour at my dvd burns almost 305 kcal.

Hope this is maybe useful for you with things you do about your house! Cause it does with me and I workout at home too :-)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    A 6 mile trail run burns 1200 calories for me. I've done that followed by a PT session and burned over 2k calories in one day doing 2.5 hours of workouts. That was according to my HR monitor. The more weight I lose and the better in shape I get the less I will burn because my heart won't beat as much.

Don't worry about what other people are doing, losing, eating logging, burning, etc. They can lie SO easily! Focus on you. If you are consistent in logging and keeping a deficit you will lose weight. You do NOT have to do intense exercise to lose weight. You just need to have a deficit!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    ....the less I will burn because my heart won't beat as much.

Other way round. You're burning less energy, so your system needs slightly less oxygen, so doesn't demand it from your blood, which means less need to pump the blood.

That's one of the reasons that HRMs aren't great as calorie expenditure estimators, it's not always a reliable proxy for calorie expenditure.

But your underlying point is sound, as one loses weight there is less effort required to move the body around. As the CV system improves in effectiveness the volume of blood moved by each heart beat is increased, so the corresponding volume of oxygen moved around increases, so fewer beats needed to get the same volume of oxygen out into the system.

Also, with trails, and as you've observed in another thread, vertical elevation makes a significant difference to calorie expenditure, as can the level of technical running that one is doing.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    1200cal for 6 miles? How long were you running and what was your average heart rate over that time period? That seems quite excessive/
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I tell people I'm a millionaire. Doesn't mean it's true.