1,000 calories burned

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    It is so very dependent on effort (speed, etc) and bodyweight. For me, at 130 lbs, I would have to go a very long time to burn that much. a 3 mile (30-40 minute) run for me burns around 300 calories. I am always skeptical about burns above 600 or so, unless they are for a really long time.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    glevinso wrote: »
    1200cal for 6 miles? How long were you running and what was your average heart rate over that time period? That seems quite excessive/

@glevisno Avg heart rate was 178. Max 196. Took me just under an hour and a half. It was a 10k trail race up, down and around a snow covered mountain to be more accurate...I'm 188, 24yo, 5'8.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    I supposedly burned over 1600 calories snowshoeing this weekend according to MFP...but I was doing it for 3.5 hours. Not something most of us are going to do a few times a week or even every weekend. (not unless I win the lottery and don't need a day job. Then I'd be happy to spend hours in the woods more often!)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    esjones12 wrote: »
    ....the less I will burn because my heart won't beat as much.

Other way round. You're burning less energy, so your system needs slightly less oxygen, so doesn't demand it from your blood, which means less need to pump the blood.

That's one of the reasons that HRMs aren't great as calorie expenditure estimators, it's not always a reliable proxy for calorie expenditure.

But your underlying point is sound, as one loses weight there is less effort required to move the body around. As the CV system improves in effectiveness the volume of blood moved by each heart beat is increased, so the corresponding volume of oxygen moved around increases, so fewer beats needed to get the same volume of oxygen out into the system.

Also, with trails, and as you've observed in another thread, vertical elevation makes a significant difference to calorie expenditure, as can the level of technical running that one is doing.

@MeanderingMammal Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know the technical terms, just the jist. Now I do :) And yes, as stated above this wasn't a stroll through the park lol. I def burn a few hundred less on flatter courses without snow. Those number were in my head from the race I did two weekends ago.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    It either takes alot of time or really really hard effort. Unless you have something you really want to do to rack up those burns (i.e. training for distance running or biking) there is no need to push for that. Watch what you eat, that is what really controls the weight loss.

Also, depending, they may just not realize they are severly overestimating their burns.
  • jenfran89
    jenfran89 Posts: 26 Member
    www.fitnessblender.com have workouts that they say burn 1000. they usually last about an hour and a half, although they took me a lot longer! They are pretty brutal, so if you have the time I'd recommend those
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    1200cal for 6 miles? How long were you running and what was your average heart rate over that time period? That seems quite excessive/

@glevisno Avg heart rate was 178. Max 196. Took me just under an hour and a half. It was a 10k trail race up, down and around a snow covered mountain to be more accurate...I'm 188, 24yo, 5'8.

That can certainly explain it. Makes sense

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    To burn 1000 calories at home, I have to ride my stationary bike, doing intervals for a part of the workout, for a total of almost 2 hours. Only when my outdoor ride has been canceled will I do that.

Outdoors....so much easier. I burn that on a shortish (for me anyway) bike ride, long kayak trip, or mid-distance run. To get that burn at the gym, I have to combine workouts.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Doubt most people can actually burn 1,000 cals in a normal workout. Maybe if you dedicate your day to it like going on a 20 mile hike with a high elevation gain....

Machine estimates will vary pretty wildly depending on type of machine, brand etc. For instance, this morning I did the endless stair climb machine and it told me I burned about 280 cals after about 30 mins at a moderate pace (130 flights of stairs total as calculated by that machine). I can spend the same amount of time with way less effort on the elliptical and the elliptical will tell me I burned something insane like 500 cals. I don't trust either of these but I'm pretty sure I burn more actually going up stairs than on the elliptical but if I actually logged the elliptical cals, you'd see me put in 1,000 cals for an hr on the elliptical. Not real or I'd be eating a cheesecake very day :D
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    I have found through losing weight it has a major dependence on your weight and effort. When I was at my heaviest (170) and doing constant cardio on an Arc Trainer for an hour (HR was up between 165 and 175) I'd burn close to 1,000 calories. That was based on my Polar HRM I wore. I now weigh right around 150. Yesterday I went for a 7 mile run where my HR was between 165 and 180 for an hour and 10 minutes. I burned 788 calories for that time frame (based on my Garmin HRM). While not a huge difference, based on my HRM worn, I burned more calories while heavier then now.

If you are looking for that kind of calorie burn, it's something that you need to get your HR up and kept high for a long period of time. Maybe running steps?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    And yes, as stated above this wasn't a stroll through the park lol. I def burn a few hundred less on flatter courses without snow.

I generally account for about 20-25% extra on trails.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    nancy274 wrote: »
    Doubt most people can actually burn 1,000 cals in a normal workout. Maybe if you dedicate your day to it like going on a 20 mile hike with a high elevation gain....

Perhaps I am not most people. But this is fairly common for me. Usually both weekend days are 1500-2500 calorie efforts. There is usually a mid-week big workout that knocks off 1000+.

That is really only about an hour and a half of sustained effort.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Why do you need to burn 1,000 calories at a time? That's pretty high. I think most people who are claiming that aren't burning nearly that many anyway. It would take me at least 5 hours in the gym to burn that much!! Not gonna happen. Definitely not happening in a 45 minute class like I see many people claiming.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    I know people who claim to burn 1,000 calories working out at the gym.

1000 calories is a 250 pounder running 10k or a 125 pounder running 20k. So if the people you know are able to that in an hour (or whatever), then yes, they may be burning 1000 calories in an hour (or whatever).

If they can't, they aren't.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Whilst I'm guilty of it, I am getting better at viewing exercise in terms of what's good for my body rather than the calories burnt doing it. Always been a cardio junkie and a major reason has been calorie burn - or at least a vaguely measurable calorie burn. Trying to incorporate more resistance training as that's something I need to improve for both strength and also the shape I desire.

So whether it's a 1000 or 200 burn, I guess it's better to focus on the exercise and its benefits outside of that sometimes?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    nancy274 wrote: »

Perhaps I am not most people. But this is fairly common for me. Usually both weekend days are 1500-2500 calorie efforts. There is usually a mid-week big workout that knocks off 1000+.

That is really only about an hour and a half of sustained effort.

Yep, I burn over 1000 quite often. During summer time, I burn that almost daily on bike rides.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Burning calories in a workout is a product of weight x workload x time. Even a lighter person working at a light to moderate pace can burn 1000 calories if they do it long enough. However, there is likely no special benefit in burning that many calories in a workout. Since weight loss is more affected by diet anyhow, exercise is more of an assist. The ASCM guidelines call for 300-500 cal/workout or 1500-2500 per week to help with weight loss.

If I pigged out the day before, sometimes I'll do a 900-1000 workout. It's my version of a "cleanse". But figuring out food intake around that can be tricky.
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    1000 calories is a 250 pounder running 10k or a 125 pounder running 20k.

I was just going to post something to this effect. As a 220 pound guy, I burn a lot more calories per mile or minute while running than my wife does, who weighs less.

I effectively burn 200 calories per mile, so if I do a five mile run, which takes me 56-58 minutes (I'm not fast) then I'll burn 1,000 calories.

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    I know people who claim to burn 1,000 calories working out at the gym. I have a 1-year-old son so I don't have time to go to the gym. I do my workouts at home with Comcast On Demand. Just curious though, how does one burn so many calories and how can I do that at home?

I burned 2,000 calories yesterday over the course of four hours. It was hiking outside, but the same could be done at the gym. It's simply speed, elevation gain, weight, and time.

This was, for me, a fairly light hike on a rest day.
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    An 11 mile run in 92 minutes got me 1,034 burned the other day. Add pushing a jogging stroller to that and BINGO!