cant get thru breakfast

Options
ok i just cant get breakfast down with out gagging i also tried just haven a protein shake for breakfast but then an hour later i am starving..i dont understand this i eat all my other meals just fine...anyone else experiance this in the morning..anyone know what i could do to help that stop..its very annoying

Replies

• AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    My entire school life my mom would make us eat breakfast. Big bowls of plain oatmeal off the stove. I'd throw up every time. I've finally gotten to the point where I can eat after I've been up awhile. If I get up at 6am, I can have a whole grain muffin or fruit at 9am before work. If you can't eat breakfast, and you've tried everything, make up for it with a mid morning snack or at lunch.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with breakfast too. I am normally just not hungry until 2-3 hours after I wake up. I try to force myself to eat about 40 minutes after I wake up but before I leave for work. On days I just can't do it, I have fat free milk with sugar free Hershey's chocolate in it and then pack a larger snack for our 10 am break at work so that I get something in me early, get a start on my dairy for the day and then still get the nutrition I need a short time later.
  • journeytoahealthy51
    journeytoahealthy51 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Is it eating early that bothers you, or "breakfast food"? If it is not the time of day, try eating non-breakfast type food. Otherwise, I agree with the other replies: Just wait a while and eat later.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    When I feel this way, for some strange reason I find that my body needs something really fatty. I go with hash browns at Dunkin Donuts. Not healthy, but it seems to settle my stomach, and give me some much needed calories first thing in the AM. It's a rare problem, but I know what you're talking about.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    I wait until I get to work to have my breakfast which means I"ve been awake for about 3 hrs, and then mine is pretty "light". Oatmeal or a bagel and coffee.

I took a peek at your diary, and to me it looks like you're picking some pretty heavy items. Try some fruit and veggies in the morning and then beef up your snacks and lunch.
  • createdbyGod
    Options
    I can't function without having a good filling breakfast. So i can't help, I am sure you work out whats the best for you.Maybe you can have a nice big banana?
  • malx21989
    malx21989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ok i just cant get breakfast down with out gagging i also tried just haven a protein shake for breakfast but then an hour later i am starving..i dont understand this i eat all my other meals just fine...anyone else experiance this in the morning..anyone know what i could do to help that stop..its very annoying
    Instead of a protein shake you could just try a small glass of milk, like just an 8oz glass, or some green tea. I have horrible time with breakfast, I have never eaten breakfast since I was 12, but before I joined here I started just drinking green tea when I get up and it helps jump start my day!! It makes me feel great!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a breakfast person either. I started eating breakfast more consistently when I joined WW last year but would still wait 2-3 hours after I got up to eat. Last week I got turned on to the idea of eating something with protein first thing to jump start my metabolism so I started putting a scoop of protein powder (chocolate flavor) in my coffee and drinking that when I got up then still eating oatmeal or something a few hours later. Since it's only been a week, I can't say for sure but I think it's helping!

Maybe try mixing your own protein shake with just powder and water? Maybe just have a teaspoon of peanut butter or a hard boiled egg or...nothing at all until you actually feel hungry.
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    Options
    I'm not much of a breakfast person either. I started eating breakfast more consistently when I joined WW last year but would still wait 2-3 hours after I got up to eat. Last week I got turned on to the idea of eating something with protein first thing to jump start my metabolism so I started putting a scoop of protein powder (chocolate flavor) in my coffee and drinking that when I got up then still eating oatmeal or something a few hours later. Since it's only been a week, I can't say for sure but I think it's helping!

Maybe try mixing your own protein shake with just powder and water? Maybe just have a teaspoon of peanut butter or a hard boiled egg or...nothing at all until you actually feel hungry.

the thing is i do feel hungry in the morning but when i go to eat its a whole different story lol
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat right when I get up, although I try to get in a cup of juice or milk or a bite or two of the fruit I'm preparing for the kids' lunches (especially my first month on MFP because I was taking blood pressure meds). I usually just wait until after I've dropped them off at school (a good couple of hours after I've gotten up) and drink a yogurt (yes, we have yogurt drinks here--they are AWESOME!) or eat some oatmeal (love those Quaker Instant Raisin, Date, and Nut packets!) or a banana or whatever. I eat another snack mid-morning most days and then on from there. But I can totally relate to gagging on food when first getting up!!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm very lucky that I work from home so that when I get up to work out at 5AM, I can have a glass of almondmilk after my workout, shower, get breakfast for the kiddos, send them off to schook, have a cup of coffee and then finally eat around 8AM. I know some would say it's not healthy to workout on an empty stomach, but it is really what works for me.
  • sweet4keeps22
    sweet4keeps22 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Try something super light on your stomach. A banana, toast, applesauce. I would maybe avoid dairy as that can cause gastrointestinal difficulties in some people? And I would avoid anything heavy, like eggs even though they have protein, which can be a great way to start the day, can be very heavy esp if cooked in butter or oil and I would avoid any meats like bacon or sausage, etc.
  • mamadragon
    mamadragon Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm the same way. I started to wait till I get to work and then have a bagel with some unsweetened ice tea. Sometimes I eat half of the bagel and then eat the rest of it about an hour later. Sometimes I have an apple.

Try different things till you find something that doesn't twist your stomach up. Good luck!!
  • callmefor911
    callmefor911 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i had the best thing for breakfast this morning.. it was a jimmy dean candian bacon light muffin.. onyl 230 calories.. and it was really good.. I dont know if I would have it every morning.. but once a week thing.. I used to always eat cereal and milk but since my surgery for some reason milk makes me sick in the am... so I am trying to find different things too.. I HATE oatmeal.. the feel of it on my tongue wants to make me gag... so i agree try a few different things to see what works for u..