Sugar free

Options
is sugar free worse for you? Such as sugar free coffee creamer vs regular? Thanks

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    is sugar free worse for you? Such as sugar free coffee creamer vs regular? Thanks

not necessarily. It depends on your goals and your macros. Many of the sugar free products have artificial sweeteners in them to make them taste as good as the sugar version.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Most artificial sweeteners have been tested fairly extensively without evidence of harmful effects. Some may cause problems on an individual level due to intolerance or allergy and some people don't like to use them on principal or because they simply don't like them. But if they don't bother you and you like them, then there is nothing wrong with it.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I drink sugarfree hazelnut coffeemate. Its low in cal too. Dunno about whether or not its harmful. Some stay away from artificial sweeteners, i dont. I cant quit cold turkey lol
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I quit using fat free and low fat stuff for the most part simply because it's filled with chemicals. Personally, I don't want to put that in my body.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not sensitive to the artificial sweeteners, it doesn't matter. If you start using them, and then notice you're getting migraines, skin rashes, or stomach issues, cut them out again, since they're the most likely cause.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's much worse for me, but that's just what it does to my system. Look up the reviews on the Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears on Amazon, that about sums it up for me.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It's much worse for me, but that's just what it does to my system. Look up the reviews on the Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears on Amazon, that about sums it up for me.

Bahahaha!

To the OP, for most people, they are fine and nothing more then a good way to satiate the sweet tooth without added calories.

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Most artificial sweeteners have been tested fairly extensively without evidence of harmful effects. Some may cause problems on an individual level due to intolerance or allergy and some people don't like to use them on principal or because they simply don't like them. But if they don't bother you and you like them, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Well, some are excellent replacements, certainly any of the ones containing aspartame and sucralose are really really NOT good for you. New data on sucralose suggests some issues with leukemia (if I have that right) and we all know about aspartame.

I was taking sucralose in some supplements and discarded them recently because it really upset by stomach and digestive tract. There's some serious issues with sucralose - I think the bodybuilding supplementation industry is starting to hear it because more and more products are cutting it and replacing with healthy alternatives like Stevia (as one example).

Here's a good site with some nice healthy alternatives:

http://authoritynutrition.com/4-healthy-natural-sweeteners/

Also contains plenty of good data and feedback on some of the harmful ones.

Good luck!

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I personally am a big fan of chemicals - nothing like a nice glass of dihydrogen monoxide in the morning. Eat them, drink them, breathe them, bathe in them, every single day.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've decided against artificial sweeteners (except stevia) because the processed foods they come in tend not to be good body fuel. For your coffee, I think I'd go with regular half & half and a little stevia or natural sweetener.
  • brittanylapp
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    and we all know about aspartame.

Yes, we all know that there is nothing wrong with it in any normal dosage.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Well, some are excellent replacements, certainly any of the ones containing aspartame and sucralose are really really NOT good for you. New data on sucralose suggests some issues with leukemia (if I have that right) and we all know about aspartame.

What is it that we all know about aspartame? This? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

There is nothing wrong with aspartame, at all, unless it is a migraine trigger or if someone suffers from phenylketonuria.

If artificial sweeteners do not cause any problems for an individual and helps that individual stick to their calorie and macro goals, there is absolutely nothing wrong with consuming them.