Fat percentage question..

Options
I haven't been meeting my daily fat percentage. I am always significantly higher than it suggests (20%).
The foods I am getting the highest fat from are: soy yogurt, avocado, chicken, salmon, and hard boiled eggs.

What's the deal on fat? These choices seem like "healthy" fats, however, I am wondering if my increased fat percentage is hindering my weightloss.

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It's not hindering your weight loss unless your over consumption of it is causing you to be in a caloric surplus.
  • dawnmarie1012
    Options
    @LolBroScience‌ yeah, I keep to my daily target calorie intake. But you know when you complete the entry and it gives you your estimated weight in 5 weeks? When I have a high fat percentage, the estimated weight increases.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That's based upon the goals you have set up in your profile (losing "x" per week at a certain caloric level), and the stats you've entered in. It is not necessarily accurate, nor anything to worry about.

Weigh yourself once a week or every few days and look at the long term trend/average, since you will fluctuate on a day to day basis. Adjust accordingly as you progress along.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Think of the fat percentage as more of a minimum. Fat is a necessary part of your diet.

In regard to weight loss: as long as your meet your overall calorie goals, then it makes no difference whether you get 20% or 50% of your calories from fat.
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You read my mind-- I've been noticing similar things in my diary. Most of my fats come from eggs, olive oil and chicken, and I find it difficult to stay under 50g a day if I eat normally. I keep within my target calories, but I was also wondering if too much fat would negatively impact me. Curious to hear what others say.
  • lauz322
    lauz322 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fats are important in your diet. There are healthy fats. Look at a bodybuilders diet and see how much fat they have you will be shocked. This app seems to do a 1 size fits all, but it doesn't. It seems to put everyone on a 1200 cal diet, for me I'd be constantly ill if I ate this little. I have used other websites to work out what I need to keep my body running. Most other sites tell me I need 1400 cals which is more like it for me. The standard split us also incorrect for me. 20% fat is really low.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of changing your fat percentage to a high percent and perhaps lowering your carbs? Try maybe a 40/30/30 and see if you meet you macros better there. It took me a few weeks to find a good balance.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just bumped up my fat percentage goal after tracking what I ate for a week or so. I didn't realize I ate a "high fat" diet, but apparently it makes up half my calories on any given day. And I'm healthy, strong, and losing weight. I wouldn't worry about it. :)
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Think of the fat percentage as more of a minimum. Fat is a necessary part of your diet.

In regard to weight loss: as long as your meet your overall calorie goals, then it makes no difference whether you get 20% or 50% of your calories from fat.

Bingo.

• HeatherColey1
    HeatherColey1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recently customized my macros. No note than 50 carbs. High protein and high fat... All equaling 100% ... But then my weight went up today. Not sure of maybe because I lift a good bit if my muscle and body carrying more water weight... I also noticed my body fat on the scale went up .1

Any advice there?
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of changing your fat percentage to a high percent and perhaps lowering your carbs? Try maybe a 40/30/30 and see if you meet you macros better there. It took me a few weeks to find a good balance.

This is what I'm doing. Eating at maintenance and lifting heavy. Working on a recomp. Slow, but making progress.