Gaining lean muscle an mass with a high metabolism.

Options
I have a really good metabolism and I'm on a bare minimum of 3200 calories a day and usually get past that by three to seven hundred! I workout four on one off and then three more on one off. No cardio to all strength training, so what else can I do to speed up my gaining as much as possible??? No juiceing tho...

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It takes time. Don't rush the process. Other than that, if you aren't already... consider increasing the frequency of the lifts.
  • bstrowsen
    bstrowsen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What u mean like working out more??
    I don't thing that will help I used to go seven days a week and stopped and started doing four on and one off then three on one off and I've seen better results and gain sine I started doing it like that I mean u gotta give ur muscles at least a day for repair or else they won't rip and rebuild the way they should
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    No, what I mean is Squatting 2-3x per week etc as opposed to 1x per week. I don't have your routine though, so I'm operating under assumptions.
  • gio14
    gio14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well there are a few tweaks you can do. First, once u have established a surplus that is geared towards your weight gain goal, monitor your weight closely for two weeks to see if your gettin about 1lb gain, which is as good as your gonna safely get a week without too much added fat. If the scale hasn't moved at all, which is quite possible, This is because what happens is.. the more your gonna eat, the more your your body is going to want to burn specially if u have a fast metabolism, so..up your cals slightly by 100-200 x/day tops, until u see the pound a week packing on.

Now that's just part one, you have to give your muscles a reason to grow n use those cals, so bout 4 sets of about 8reps and u need to increase your muscles time under tension! Just powering thru a set is just gonna be a waist of time, progressively increase weight and 4sec negatives with drop sets on your last set. That will do the trick.

The point is u need to give your muscle a reason to grow. If u don't bust your *kitten* in the gym your just gonna get fat n chunky. There's more we could talk about in regards and tweaking based on ur goals, but this is s great start for yA. Good luck have patience n stick with it !!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Check out the 'guide to bulking' stickie :)

• bstrowsen
    Options
    By 4 sec negatives u mean like when j can't get the weight up struggle to try to for at less ; seconds right??
  • Maupdogg
    Options
    Example: bench press.
    The negative movement comes from top to bottom so the bar touches your chest, positive movement is when the bar goes up. The weakest part of the movement is the positive part, so to break down the muscles closer to failure, one simply had his partner help lift the positive portion until it's at the top then you gradually lower the bar, without partner assistance, to your chest for about 4 seconds or longer. Hope that helps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I don't believe anyone really has a "fast" metabolism. If gains aren't happening, then either the workout is insufficient to make it happen (not enough volume), or consumption of calories and protein aren't high enough for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • davidgerber4444
    Options
    bstrowsen wrote: »
    I don't thing that will help I used to go seven days a week and stopped and started doing four on and one off then three on one off and I've seen better results and gain sine I started doing it like that I mean u gotta give ur muscles at least a day for repair or else they won't rip and rebuild the way they should

I anything you're going to the gym too often.

Read the thread "suppose only 4 exercises are done" on bodybuilding dot con.

If you squat and deadlift properly and do dips and pull-ups/ chin-ups, you won't be able to do them more than once every 5-7 days.

The guy saying squat 2-3 times a week clearly isn't doing squats properly. You'd burn out v quickly if doing so.

I was 6'3 152lbs 7 months ago,
    Am now 185lbs following principles described in that thread.

Then obviously your nutrition needs to be fulfilled.

Good luck.
  • LolBroScience
    edited February 2015
    Options

If you squat and deadlift properly and do dips and pull-ups/ chin-ups, you won't be able to do them more than once every 5-7 days.

The guy saying squat 2-3 times a week clearly isn't doing squats properly. You'd burn out v quickly if doing so.

Good luck.

Lol.

Even beginner programs like Stronglifts or SS have you squatting, and performing other lifts multiple times per week. There are many intermediate/more advanced programs that do as well.

It's easy to manipulate volume and intensity and still have adequate recovery.

Stop copying and pasting concepts you don't understand.

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Bro...do you even forum? The guy who says squat multiple times a week is a beast. Might want to read up on how to lift and start hitting the gym.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Good luck.

No. Just no.

Prepping for my bodybuilding competition I hit everything twice a week. Prepping to set a world record for raw deadlift I was squatting twice a week and deadlifting 3x per week (while still hitting back and chest). I wouldn't have a beginner do it that way, but the OP isn't a beginner.

Most bodybuilders work each muscle group twice a week (sometimes twice a day).
    Many powerlifters do each of the main lifts twice a week (sometimes 3-4).

I think the OP needs to find a solid program (my suggestion is Layne Norton's PHAT program) and increase calories.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Good luck.

So what do you know about the person you are commenting on. :huh: How old are you in lifting? How many programs have you done? What are you qualifications to make such bold statements? I'm currious because if you are that good I'll hire you.
  • gio14
    Options
    By 4 sec negatives u mean like when j can't get the weight up struggle to try to for at less ; seconds right??

Think someone above hinted at negatives..but here it is again. When hitting weights, lots of people only focus the movement or exercises, with no regard to the speed, eccentric portion, or time under tension of the actual muscle your suppose to be using. The eccentric portion is where all the magic happens in terms of growth.

Your goal is to elongate and shorten the muscle your working... so for the negative slow down the elongating (eccentric) portion of the rep for a count of 4. Focus on initiating and contracting the muscle when initiating the movement, dont pause at the top focus on an explosive concentric and a controlled eccentric movement. A set should last a solid 40+ seconds not 10, what that does is increase the time under tension your placing your muscles. This comboed with a caloric surplus and ur muscles will grow! Sets like this hurt..a lot and dont be surprised if u have to drop ur weights by 30-40% but i guarantee you'll have an insane pump. Like I recommended earlier a drop set on the 4th set until there is nothing left and if u want to take it even further partial reps at the end until u have nothing left. All movements should be controlled u shouldn't be contorting or spasing out thru any of the reps. Give it a try see how it feels!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Good luck.

No. Just no.

Prepping for my bodybuilding competition I hit everything twice a week. Prepping to set a world record for raw deadlift I was squatting twice a week and deadlifting 3x per week (while still hitting back and chest). I wouldn't have a beginner do it that way, but the OP isn't a beginner.

I think the OP needs to find a solid program (my suggestion is Layne Norton's PHAT program) and increase calories.

You have a world record raw deadlift? Sweet! What weight class? Video?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Good luck.

No. Just no.

@DopeItUp I do. I'll PM you the information instead of looking like an attention wh*re and derailing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Good luck.

No. Just no.

@DopeItUp I do. I'll PM you the information instead of looking like an attention wh*re and derailing.

I saw it before you edited, thanks. So it's a record for that federation then? Nice work!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I squat 3/week minimum. I bench 3/week minimum. I deadlift 2/week minimum.

You can adapt to a huge variety of frequency/intensity. If you train more frequently then you likely just need to adjust intensity and/or volume to accommodate.
  • bstrowsen
    Options
    I did this today on my shoulders and it felt great really could tell a difference in how it worked me!!

gio14 wrote: »

Think someone above hinted at negatives..but here it is again. When hitting weights, lots of people only focus the movement or exercises, with no regard to the speed, eccentric portion, or time under tension of the actual muscle your suppose to be using. The eccentric portion is where all the magic happens in terms of growth.

Your goal is to elongate and shorten the muscle your working... so for the negative slow down the elongating (eccentric) portion of the rep for a count of 4. Focus on initiating and contracting the muscle when initiating the movement, dont pause at the top focus on an explosive concentric and a controlled eccentric movement. A set should last a solid 40+ seconds not 10, what that does is increase the time under tension your placing your muscles. This comboed with a caloric surplus and ur muscles will grow! Sets like this hurt..a lot and dont be surprised if u have to drop ur weights by 30-40% but i guarantee you'll have an insane pump. Like I recommended earlier a drop set on the 4th set until there is nothing left and if u want to take it even further partial reps at the end until u have nothing left. All movements should be controlled u shouldn't be contorting or spasing out thru any of the reps. Give it a try see how it feels!

• gio14
    Options
    Glad to hear! This technique is great for adding on mass, try it with any body part and remember to squeeze like it owes u money throughout the range and to apply progressive overload next time u hit the muscle group!