Counting calories help?

Options
What happens when you consumed half the calories that you suppose to eat.
I ate about 763 calories today. With about 8 cups of water throughout the day. I am really satisfied. But my calorie intake is set for 1,700. My activity level today is sedentary. Little to no movement office style. I haven't got time for workout today?

Does it hurt to eat less then recommended? Will it burn fat more?

Replies

• Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You are in starvation mode. Please eat, your heart needs to beat, you need to breathe!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to do any harm, just don't make a habit of it. Try and get some more calorie dense foods into your diet if you can only stomach small amounts (e.g. avocado, cheese, nuts). Keep an eye on your weekly calorie tally - if you are consistently eating fewer calories than you should, then you'll need to rethink your meals. It will hurt to eat less than recommended, but not from just one day!
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hurt to eat a little (50 calories) less than recommended but you are 1000 calories less. If you eat in deficit you will lose weight, but you need to meet you BMR calories. That is how many calories it takes to make your body run e.g. heat/cool, brain function, etc. I use this calculator http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to figure out my numbers and unless I have the stomach flu and can't keep food down, I never drop below my BMR.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    One day = nothing will happen. Every day then you probably aren't getting the nutrients you need to function properly.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Here is an idea for a calorie dense meal:
    2 slices Oro bread 220 cal
    4 oz roast beef 196 cal
    1/2 of an avocado 125 cal
    1 slice cheddar cheese 80

12 oz 2% milk 170 cal

This would equal approx. 790 calories give or take what you may alter slightly. This is also higher in protein and fat. I don't know what your macros look like for today since you food diary is closed.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yana206 wrote: »
    What happens when you consumed half the calories that you suppose to eat.
    I ate about 763 calories today. With about 8 cups of water throughout the day. I am really satisfied. But my calorie intake is set for 1,700. My activity level today is sedentary. Little to no movement office style. I haven't got time for workout today?

Does it hurt to eat less then recommended? Will it burn fat more?

Once in awhile this is ok. Feeling full is not a good indicator of proper nutrition though. Will you lose more fat?.....Yes, and muscle too if you're not careful. The more weight you have to lose overall, the less you need to worry about muscle loss.

Calories are fuel. You need to eat enough to maintain lean muscle, but not so much that your body stores excess as fat.

MFP (as designed) gives you your calorie goal before exercise. Sedentary is very light activity....it's something like 5,000 steps.
  • yana206
    yana206 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you everyone for educating me on calorie intake. I wanted to lose weight so bad that I cut out all the bread and other fatty good. My diet was consisting of salads, fruits and vegetables and white lean meats, ie, boiled chicken, tuna, and low fat yogurt. That is why my calories were so low. I will incorporate more food like oatmeal, nuts and proteins bar. But after consuming all those veggies and fruit I cannot bring myself into eating more food. Because it makes me so full.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    crash diets will never stick. continue to eat some of your favs. mfp is great for teaching portion control. do not do a diet ur not willing to stick with for the rest of your life. do want to just lose weight for a few months or for life? u wouldnt want to live on just fruit veg and bland meat forever