How to overcome fear of failure

I started my diet, tracking the amount of food I eat, over a month ago. I have lost 6lbs, the most I have ever lost in 20 years. I woke up this morning and I was overcome with this feeling of fear. I wasn't sure of what really, just this greasy feeling in my stomach. Then it hit me, what if I fail at this weight loss thing, what if I can't continue losing weight? I'm filled with self doubt as to whether I can reach my goal, and fear of reaching my goal. This is the longest I have ever stuck with a diet, eating right and exercise. Has anyone experienced this? The fear of failing and the fear of succeeding?

Replies

• apfei
    apfei Posts: 20 Member
    I'm doing well on my diet, too, and i fear failure. I've failed at dieting MANY times in the past -- four times last year alone. One thing that has helped is to tell NO ONE about it. It's an intensely personal journey and if i decide it's not worth it, it is up to me and i don't have to explain or justify myself to anyone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,939 Member
    I truly doubt that the most successful people in the world in ANY endeavor made it there without failing multiple times. They usually just balance out.
    FEAR (false evidence appearing real) stiffles people in their tracks and discourages many to reach potential. So how do you overcome? Take on challenges that you don't think you can/may be able to do. So you shoot for the stars and hit the moon on the way down. That's still successful to a point.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Failure is part of life, in fact, success does not exist without it. Accept it, and understand that there are going to be bumps in the road, this is a long process, and if done properly, it's life-long. Don't fear it.

Rigger
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    If you've never failed, then you've never tried.
    This is a way of life. you are doing something to be healthier, so this should be something you can sustain for life. That being said, 'life' is going to happen. There will be celebrations involving sweet treats, birthdays, graduations, parties. You can let go for a day and not have it be deemed a 'failure'.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,756 Member
    I feel that way sometimes. Especially when things arent happening as fast as I would like. It is pretty normal.
    The only failure would be quitting
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2015
    Yes, I've felt that. These days I'm literally running from it. (Running is my plan to stabilize my weight). My confidence finally overcame my fears when I started to see some significant health gains from the weight loss (first big NSV at thirty pounds down).
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Oh yes! I was very familiar with this anxiety you are speaking of. During my stint of yo-yo dieting, anytime I felt an ounce a failure, or fell off the wagon for a moment, I would conclude that the "Fit life just isn't for me". I am destined to be overweight. How wrong was I. The fear of failure makes it's presence in almost all aspects of our life. High schoolers moving on to that next chapter in their life, taking your first job, becoming a parent for the first time, committing to a serious relationship, getting married, etc. With all these things we think: "Did I make the right decision?," "What if I fail?," but everything turned out okay, right? Sure, there may have been peaks and valleys, but what journey in life doesn't? Weight loss is no different. It is challenging. It will test our limits, but it is a lifestyle We will make mistakes, and we will discover methods that just won't work for us. The important thing is that we don't allow the fear of failure or self doubt and even self sabotage take over. We break down those walls as they come, and we keep on going. Because that's all we can do in life. Keep on going. But while we're at it, why not live life as our best, healthiest self!
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    you pick yourself up and dust yourself off and get back on that horse.. i am struggling with staying on track right now.. not feeling very motivated... remember that you only fail if you don't try... good luck
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Then it hit me, what if I fail at this weight loss thing, what if I can't continue losing weight?

you pick yourself up and dust yourself off and get back on that horse..

Bingo. :)
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    I started my diet, tracking the amount of food I eat, over a month ago. I have lost 6lbs, the most I have ever lost in 20 years. I woke up this morning and I was overcome with this feeling of fear. I wasn't sure of what really, just this greasy feeling in my stomach. Then it hit me, what if I fail at this weight loss thing, what if I can't continue losing weight? I'm filled with self doubt as to whether I can reach my goal, and fear of reaching my goal. This is the longest I have ever stuck with a diet, eating right and exercise. Has anyone experienced this? The fear of failing and the fear of succeeding?

The experience of failing and living to tell the tale will extinguish fear. The experience of reaching goals and living to tell the tale will extinguish fear.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Stop looking at it as a diet and start viewing it as a lifestyle change. Life is going to have bump in the road.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    You cannot let yourself fear failure or chances are you will fail! Picture yourself succeeding. Picture what you'll look like when you reach your goal. Work on your goal every single day with a positive attitude. BELIEVE in yourself! You can do this!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    It is not all or nothing. Somedays are better than others. Some stink. Stay on the path that you set for yourself, and you will be happy. :)
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Set small goals and as you reach them, your confidence will grow! I had the same feelings (and they still creep up every now and then) but it gets better.
  • joselinxchavez
    joselinxchavez Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you everyone! I have been pushing myself too hard, expecting to lose .5lb every three days, that's just not realistic! I'll set short term and realistic goals going forward. I'll need to work through my anxiety, since it's just a fact of life.