Used fitness clothing....yes or no?

Options
Hello fitness lovers. I need some honest feedback and I promise I will not get my feelings hurt. In February, I started a business selling used fitness clothing (currently only on-line) with the hope of a store opening this year. Well....so far zero sales!
Is this a bad idea? What are your thoughts about buying used fitness clothing? Is this a big no, no? Thanks to everyone for the honest feedback and time.

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I hate to be someone to tear down anyone's ideas because I love entrepreneurial ventures and yay for trying to make something happen! But, yeah, that's really gross. I would never wear used fitness apparel. :s
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with PRMinx. I couldn't bare the thought of wearing previously used fitness clothes. You can wash them...but something about them just would feel unclean.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    would you wear used underwear? … same thing as used sportswear i'd guess
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I smirk at the underwear on the racks at goodwill (love shopping there otherwise) along with swimwear and most definitely sports wear. How about sourcing over stock close out and similar clothing lots through auction houses. I knew a guy who made a living doing that. Buy smart, plan for the long haul and sell at a healthy discount and you could do well.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I have bought a few items both on ebay and my local Goodwill store and have had no problems with them -- but then it's not underwear, just shirts, shorts, etc.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I buy used fitness clothes all the time.

These wonderful things called washers and dryers make them like new every time I use them.
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    yeah... i'm with everyone else. :# Sorry, OP.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Ehhhhhhhh no.

jyogit wrote: »
    ^This. Especially since a lot of people don't wear underwear in their workout gear

• Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I see folks who buy used fitness gear from goodwill...depends on the condition of it...I would say no to sports bras or any tank that has built in bras or anything that is tight fitting like capri leggings, runner shorts, bike shorts...and they probably have a little odor in them so i would say no
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Ehhhhhhhh no.

jyogit wrote: »
    ^This. Especially since a lot of people don't wear underwear in their workout gear

Yep, guilty as charged. Nothing is comfortable under compression tights. Commando, yo.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i don't see a problem as long as it's not over stretched/worn and stained. i recently just bought a nike running jacket that would have normally been 40-60 dollars, for like 5 dollars at goodwill. if that's gross, then i'm disgusting lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I buy some fitness clothing in thrift or consignment stores, where I can see/touch it and tell that it's basically unused. Mostly in a college town nearby, I always find a ton of Athleta and North Face stuff and for 3-5 bucks -- when it looks brand new I'm not passing that up!

However, I probably would NOT buy it online where I couldn't see firsthand the way the item looked and felt. I feel like the hygiene issue isn't as big of a deal as I'd be washing it anyway, and I do wear undies with my fitness apparel. Just one of those things where everyone has their line I guess.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I use the goodwill stores a lot. I work construction so am always replacing clothes. During my weightloss I saved a fortune on clothes that I would have only been able to wear for a month or so anyway BUT
    Fitness stuff......hmmm.....sweats, possibly shorts and tank tops maybe....anything else....I doubt it.

I think the problem is that online shoppers do not tend to be looking for used stuff.
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For me: it would depend on the quality or how the item is. Some people lose weight, and their clothes don't fit anymore. Nothing is wrong with those items, so why not donate or sell to someone who could use it? I know some of my fitness clothes have gotten stretched out and especially some of my older stuff... So I wouldn't think it would be usable for anyone else but me.

I don't think it is a bad idea. Just maybe list how "used" it might be. or explain a bit of history behind it? Does that make sense? Maybe advertise or something. Sell what is good quality and not gross. and donate those things to charity. I know various ones that take clothing items and bring them to people internationally or even locally to those who could use it.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    ive sold some of my high end workout clothes before online (mostly lululemon) but usually it was i wore it once and it didnt fit properly. i would consider buying used it it was in pretty much new condition but even then i wont pay more than half what it would sell for new so i almost never do
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I had no problem buying fitness clothes from thrift stores. Definitely washed before wearing, definitely always wore underwear with them. Now that I am a committed fitness freak, I buy new, especially compression pants. If I come across some quality tops at the thrift store, I'll get them.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I probably would only buy spandex/lycra fitness wear ONLY it if it looked brand new and was being sold because it didn't fit and was unreturnable. I realize there are washers and dryers and they are quite amazing, but some things I just don't want to buy used - that would be bedsheets, pillows, socks, underwear, swimwear, and yes, fitness wear.

Only other exception would be sweatshirts and pants in such new condition that they were obviously used just as regular clothing/loungewear.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    no. but, i do hate that workout stuff can be so expensive.
  • lizek316
    lizek316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I buy used fitness clothes all the time.

These wonderful things called washers and dryers make them like new every time I use them.
    I would agree with this if it wasn't workout gear, but people sweat a TON when they workout. Odds are even with washing it a LOT, there are still going to be odors and possible sweat stains.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I realize my lines in the sand probably don't make sense, but I'm especially skeeved out by the idea of wearing something that someone else did a LOT of sweating in. Oh, and nightwear is also on my no-no list for used items....