Gym Tips for Beginners?

Options
So, I just took over a friend's gym membership at anytime fitness, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for someone starting out with a gym. (I'm waiting on an appointment for an assessment with a personal trainer.) I already paid for March and I want to at least something. I'm planning on going tomorrow after school.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Re-rack your weights? I don't know, what are you looking for specifically?
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

Perhaps warm up on the treadmill (or track) at a nice easy pace, preferably on a slight incline for a few minutes, then after about 5 minutes increase the speed to a faster paced walk / jog for 20 minutes. If you're comfortable with weights, you can take some 5lb or 8lb dumbbells and bang out some arm exercises (you can search different bicep curls, tricep extensions, and even lay down on a bench and do a few chest presses and flies; followed by a heavier weight (or none at all) for some lunges and squats. Follow all this by a nice long stretch. Probably take about an hour.

I would suggest when you first arrive just take a walk around and see what kind of gadgets and machines they have, and see what calls your name. And don't be afraid of the machines, they're pretty basic to figure out, and if not, ask someone who works there - that's why they're there! We were all beginners at one point, and clueless to what these fancy machines and weights do.

When I first started out, I fell in love with the aerobic classes, so maybe you can check their schedule, there may be something that works for you.

Good luck!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I have no idea about using weights, to be honest, I'm mainly looking
  • raelynnsmama52512
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I have no idea about using weights, to be honest, I'm mainly looking
    Trying this again because my phone and MFP don't get along. I'm mainly looking for some easy workouts or tips to help me get started. Hope that clarifies a bit!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    Options
    mariabee wrote: »
    Good for you!

Perhaps warm up on the treadmill (or track) at a nice easy pace, preferably on a slight incline for a few minutes, then after about 5 minutes increase the speed to a faster paced walk / jog for 20 minutes. If you're comfortable with weights, you can take some 5lb or 8lb dumbbells and bang out some arm exercises (you can search different bicep curls, tricep extensions, and even lay down on a bench and do a few chest presses and flies; followed by a heavier weight (or none at all) for some lunges and squats. Follow all this by a nice long stretch. Probably take about an hour.

I would suggest when you first arrive just take a walk around and see what kind of gadgets and machines they have, and see what calls your name. And don't be afraid of the machines, they're pretty basic to figure out, and if not, ask someone who works there - that's why they're there! We were all beginners at one point, and clueless to what these fancy machines and weights do.

When I first started out, I fell in love with the aerobic classes, so maybe you can check their schedule, there may be something that works for you.

Good luck!
    Thank you! I'll check it out tomorrow when I go.