What's your way to make weight loss successful?

Options
What rules do you set out for yourself for successful weight loss?
I'm not new to losing weight, but am looking for new ideas! The ones I have and still follow to ensure success are;
Drink at least 8 glasses of water
No eating past 8
If I want a sweet snack I buy the 100 cal snacks so I don't over endulge
I work out 5-6 times a week. Weights at least 3 times a week
I try to have a salad everyday.
Stay within my calorie intake.

Replies

• cpav444
    cpav444 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eat better, plan meals, cook real food.
    Stay away from processed foods.
    Have 5-6 small meals/snacks every day.
    No junk food between those planned meals/snacks.
    Buy plenty of salad/veggies/fruits.
    Do not buy cookies, peanuts or potato chips.
    Eat less, track calories, use MyFitnesspal.^^
    Walk at least 1 hour at a fast pace every day with my dog.
    Work out at least 30 minutes, 5 times per week.
    And...wait for ice and snow to go away so I can use my bicycle or go jogging.^^

This looks like a lot when it's all written down, but I find it pretty easy and there can be little exceptions once in a while.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to losing weight, but am looking for new ideas! The ones I have and still follow to ensure success are;
    No eating past 8

Lots of pre planning, weighing food, logging, and making sure I meet my calorie goals.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Log everything
    Weigh as much food as possible, estimate if I can't (such as the apple I ate at work today)
    Don't deprive myself of the foods I love
    Aim to hit my protein intake every day
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow, thanks internet for acting up!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Log everything
    Don't cut anything out of my diet, just eat right number of calories
    Don't require perfection
    Plan plan plan my meals so I don't binge on bad choices out of hanger.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i too plan meals as much as possible
    work out 20 min per day 5 days a week(minimum)
    don't bring chips pop or other high cal snack foods into the house
    pre plan my meals out if possible
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No eating past 8

I do only one or two of those things: stay within my calorie intake, and yes gym 5 times a week, but lifting must be 4 days.

I eat when I want, what I want-as long as it fits in my deficit and I hit my macros. I don't need to eat a salad every day to do that and I can have more than 100 calories for a snack or dessert and hit my goal as well.

The biggest thing for me has been finding ways to eat high volume, nutritious foods/meals, at low calories-as I like to eat a lot. And have dessert.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    The simple answer for me is just staying at a deficit.

A more in depth answer:

Pre-logging my days - this is the single most helpful thing I've done. It lets me play around with my food before I eat it, to make sure my day is balanced (and it allows me to have ice cream, like I did tonight), and full of food that I enjoy.
    Weighing and measuring my food.
    Only eating my exercise calories back if I feel hungry and only then half of them.
    Getting and staying active.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Keep things simple. It is too easy to make things complicated and overwhelming by trying to do too much at one time and trying to mix and match different plans.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    One and only one rule : Maintain. The. Deficit.

All else is irrelevant personal opinion.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The biggest factor for me was strength training.

I couldn't always stay under my goal (even set to a pound a week). When I only did cardio I felt like I was undoing hard work. When I started lifting those bad days were just extra fuel for my muscles and not a negative impact.

The other things were:
    -Slow and steady. A half a pound a week is better than nothing.
    -Not cutting anything out. If I want it I make it fit and fill the rest of my diary with filling foods.
    -Recognizing that there is no end to this. This is forever.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Enjoy my food. There are days I feel like eating polenta with shrimp, onions, green peppers, and mushrooms. There are days that I want a McDonald's cheeseburger or Popeye's fried chicken. As long as I fit my calories and macros, I don't let myself stress over either.

Eat my calories. I've had people tell me that I "need" to drink fruit juice with my breakfast or that I "need" green shakes or protein shakes. Nope. I need to savor the taste and texture of my food as I chew it. When I drink my calories, I am sad because it's over too quickly.

Weigh and measure mostly everything. I've gotten to the point where I can guesstimate the proper amount of mustard and ketchup on a hot dog to make a teaspoon or a tablespoon. Every so often, even if I can eyeball them, I measure again to make certain my guesstimates are staying fairly accurate.

Make my exercise practical instead of habitual. I can't handle going to the gym on a regular basis. I find it boring, which I might not if I took classes or had a workout buddy. I compensate by taking my dogs for walks or doing yardwork or cutting brush for my goats to eat--things like that, which I find useful. Someday I'll find heavy lifting more entertaining, but right now, that's the best place for me to be. I am going to try to get a membership to Anytime Fitness, but not to do heavy lifting.

Avoid letting people dictate what I want or need to eat. Going back up to the eating calories example, I've also had people tell me that I "need" to stop eating one thing or another because it's unhealthy. Then they trot out Mercola or PCRM and it's all I can do to avoid hurting myself rolling my eyes. When I mentioned using artificial sweetener to someone, she suggested stevia and so on--and when I said I disliked stevia, she stated she was just "trying to help [me] find healthy solutions" to my sweetener use. I thanked her for her concern, but said there was no problem, so no solution was necessary. My body--my responsibility.

Be honest. If I go over my calories or have an otherwise "bad eating day," I log it. Once in a while I have a day during which I have no dinners listed. 99.9% of the time, I really didn't eat dinner. Then there are the occasional days upon which I've already exceeded my calories to the point that I just shrug and wonder why bother any longer. Those days are few and far between, but they exist--and part two of this rule is to not beat myself up when I'm not honest with MFP but honest with myself that the day is just better left behind for a fresh start in the morning.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Mine are:

1. Try to get in some exercise every day
    2. Eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full
    3. Keep calorie goals in mind
    4. Try to eat a balanced diet
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - get plenty of exercise so that I can eat more and accomplish the same goals...
    - be consistent
    - tortoise and the hare...slow and steady wins the race
    - recognize that I"m never going to be 100% perfect and recognizing that having a bad day doesn't mean I need to "start over"...it means I had a bad day and tomorrow is a new one and in the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant so long as I'm otherwise being consistent.
  • Laviegurl25
    Laviegurl25 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Loving everyone's way of succeeding!!!
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    -Weigh daily and measure weekly, even if I don't expect any losses.
    -Refrain from restricting my calories too much, because it only leads to burnout within a few months. (1500 may only be a little more than 1200, but lemme tell you, it makes a serious difference in my mind.)
    -Eat whenever I want - I'm hungriest at night and will invariably go on a midnight binge if I don't eat after 9 on a work night. I don't listen to that bizarre claim that diet gurus make that says you'll "store fat" if you eat before bedtime (whatever that means).
    -Go to the gym at least 5 days a week. Not so much for the calorie burn, but because working out keeps me on track and tends to curb my evening appetite.
    -Focus on strength training, because it's more fun than cardio and gives far more satisfying results.
  • angier321
    angier321 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading these :) !!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    What has been helping me is pre-planning my meals before hand (in the morning usually) so if I want to fit a little snack or sweet in I can. Lifting every other day, cardio 2-3 times a week. Waking up with a good attitude and keeping it throughout the day is really important! Don't let the cravings win, but there is nothing wrong with having a little bit of what you love in moderation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Just one word: CONSISTENCY.

Most people fail in weight loss because they are inconsistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    1. Weigh your food (I have been doing this for about 2 months now and it has been amazing!)
    2. Don't be miserable, if you are eating on the lower end of recommended calories and you are hungry/cranky/dizzy, re-evaluate and add more calories. Nothing bad will happen if you slowly increase to where you are happier and still losing.
    3. Find the foods that make you full and the ones that make you hungrier. I don't eat bread products right now (nothing is wrong with them, if someone wants them they are fine) because they make me hungrier and make me a bit bloated so I don't feel as great.
    4. Exercise at least a little, everyone is going to do something different, but for your heart health and muscle maintenance it is really a good idea.
    5. I weigh myself every day to keep myself accountable and remind myself what I am working for.
    6. Log bad days. I was awful at doing this and I think I would have been more successful earlier on had I just sucked it up, logged, and kept on going.
    7. Don't listen to everyone (most people) on the internet.