New! Nutritional Advice and Fitness advice? Help! (Pre/post workout - calories, carbs, protein etc!)

Options
Hey Everybody,

I hope you can help me out a bit. I've just started (in the last few weeks) a completely new fitness programme. I am brand new to all of this - unfortunately! I must say this outright first - I am a recovering Anorexic, and (with permission of my health professionals) I have started to go to the gym to build some muscle, lose some excess fat (during my major weight gain diet, all weight went on as fat - I have been given permission to lose some fat AS LONG as I gain back the weight as lean muscle - but not much, I am still thin) and finally be proud of myself and my body. I have met with a personal trainer who has given me a full body workout, including 20 minutes cardio and 40 minutes resistance training. Once I get used to that, I'll be including some HIIT, to burn some fat.

I must say though, I am finding it very difficult. As you might imagine, I struggle with eating extra before/after a workout - it's incredibly difficult. However, I know it is crucial.
I know I need to eat something BEFORE my workout, in addition to my lunch or a larger lunch, and something after.
Can somebody help me with what to have for my lunch (examples) on the days I workout, or what additional pre-workout snack is the best? Please keep in mind that I am recovering from an eating disorder and so too much or too high calorie will not be feasible.
What is the most appropriate number of calories to take in before a workout, and after?

At the moment, I typically eat a tuna and cottage cheese sandwich for lunch, and about an hour before my workout I have a banana. After my workout I have a protein shake (not too high calorie - just powder, yogurt and water mixed up)

Anybody have any advice, please? I really need some help. I'm brand new to this and I want to start right. Finally, after all of these years. It's my life now and I choose to live it.

Thank you, please help!

Best Wishes
Emma

Replies

• AnneCN
    AnneCN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma, first of all I want to say you have come a great long way i am no nutritionist or expert but I usually have a piece of toast or 2 before working out just for energy, after I would have something full of protein either tuna & cottage cheese, or a omelette or chicken.

Anne
  • Bellchick91
    Bellchick91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hey! Thank you :) Okay, tomorrow Im have a sandwich (cottage cheese and egg white scrambled, cooled then put in the sandwich) at about 1.30pm (this is my only break during college to eat!) then before my workout, about 4pm I have a protein shake with 20g carbs and about 15g protein. My workout is set for about 6pm hoping I get out of college in time.

Does that all sound okay, do you think? Ideally I'd like to have the sandwich a bit closer to the workout but college restraints etc.
    Im really trying to get good at this! I didn't eat enough before the gym yesterday and I just couldn't do my full workout - my own fault, I know. But I want to do better!