Used fitness clothing....yes or no?

Options
1235»

Replies

• AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend for me.

For things like tops and shorts, if they were in good condition (not stained/stretched/overly worn) then sure.

Socks, skins, swimsuits, and sports bras are a no unless they're from a close friend or family member. My sisters have a habit of wearing things once and deciding they don't want them any more, which works out fine for me!

Running shoes are a no. But that's more because I don't want to mess up my knee any more than it is already. As for other shoes...that's the 'close friends and family' category.
  • gio14
    gio14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yuk, no!
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I buy some fitness clothing in thrift or consignment stores, where I can see/touch it and tell that it's basically unused. Mostly in a college town nearby, I always find a ton of Athleta and North Face stuff and for 3-5 bucks -- when it looks brand new I'm not passing that up!

However, I probably would NOT buy it online where I couldn't see firsthand the way the item looked and felt. I feel like the hygiene issue isn't as big of a deal as I'd be washing it anyway, and I do wear undies with my fitness apparel. Just one of those things where everyone has their line I guess.

I have to agree with the person I quote above... I buy a greater percentage of my clothes from Goodwill or other non-profit organizations. Many times I find them new, still with tags. Unless the original owner wears these items "commando" (seriously... who would want to exercise in work-out wear commando and bounce all over the place!), I don't consider them in the same class as underwear. However, I am very quality conscious and I would need to see, touch and feel the quality of the item before putting out my hard earned money. You can find high quality used items yes, but to buy them via an on-line purchase, that for me is to risky... and the hassle of getting a refund and doing the return... I would never throw my money away like that.
  • jeh5390
    jeh5390 Posts: 1
    Options
    personally ZERO interest in wearing somebodys sweaty clothes.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I just don't know that you would be able to sell used fitness clothes at a price point that would appeal to consumers and still allow you to turn a profit. Considering that I can buy new, name-brand, workout clothes at a place like TJMaxx for $10-$15 (less on clearance), I can't imagine spending anything close to that for other people's castoffs. I don't think you could sell used yoga pants or sports bras for more than a few bucks a piece...and when you factor in shipping, I'm just not sure it's worthwhile.

For me the "ick factor" isn't that big a deal. People resell and hand down baby clothes all the time, and they get pooped, and peed, and puked in all the time. There's even a market for used cloth diapers. Heck...I use the gym's towels knowing that other people are using them to wipe their sweaty bodies...and I'm not even the one doing the laundry. How do I really know they're getting clean? (And now there is someone reading this who will never again use towels provided by the gym.)
  • kCalCrusher
    kCalCrusher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do it. I'd rather go to Old Navy and pay $10 for a pair of new pants/shorts that used ones. When you workout you sweat and secrete all kinds of crap- wearing someone else's (washed or not) creeps me out.
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I get grossed out trying on new clothes at the store. I would have to say no. Even washing my clothes with my boyfriend's clothes bothers me and my clothes get much sweatier than his ever do.