Hitting calorie goal is tough

Options
I recently got back into working out and monitoring my caloric intake. My recommended intake is 1820 and I work off about 300 a day on the treadmill putting my recommended intake at 2120 with the exercise taken into account. I eat healthy and I'm rarely hungry as I've been eating protein rich meals. I've been finding it hard to reach my calorie count. I'm usually a few hundred under my goal. What foods do you eat, which aren't loaded with fat, calories or carbs, and allow you to hit your goals. I don't want to buy anything expensive as either. Also I'm mostly a vegetarian.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why can't they have fat, calories or carbs if you're trying to fuel your body and eat as many calories as you're supposed to?

Peanut butter, cook with oil, eat dessert.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you need calories, why can't your food be 'loaded with calories'?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I guess if you can't meet your calorie goal, eating something with calories in it would be a good idea. Nothing wrong with fat, calories, and carbs. I've maintained for two and a half years on fat, calories and carbs, with protein in there too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Likely you have cut back too much on dietary fat...dietary fat is healthy and necessary in a well balanced and nutritious diet.

I get most of my fats from things like avocados, nuts (particularly almonds), cooking with avocado, olive, and coconut oils, eggs, etc.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Well, if you don't want fat or carbs (though I agree with the above that there's no problem with either) then you're left eating protein. Milk, eggs, fish (if you eat it), protein powders, etc.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Also, you must have eaten above these calories before, if you are trying to lose weight now. Are you weighing everything on a food scale and logging accurately?
  • smuckjm
    smuckjm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One word... Nuts.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    matthaave wrote: »
    I recently got back into working out and monitoring my caloric intake. My recommended intake is 1820 and I work off about 300 a day on the treadmill putting my recommended intake at 2120 with the exercise taken into account. I eat healthy and I'm rarely hungry as I've been eating protein rich meals. I've been finding it hard to reach my calorie count. I'm usually a few hundred under my goal. What foods do you eat, which aren't loaded with fat, calories or carbs, and allow you to hit your goals. I don't want to buy anything expensive as either. Also I'm mostly a vegetarian.

Add peanut butter, avocados, tofu, olives, flax seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Why can't they have fat, calories or carbs if you're trying to fuel your body and eat as many calories as you're supposed to?

Peanut butter, cook with oil, eat dessert.

This.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Also, you must have eaten above these calories before, if you are trying to lose weight now. Are you weighing everything on a food scale and logging accurately?

and also this.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Turkey hill ice cream is 2.50 a container on sale.

Also- how can you be "mostly vegetarian"... you eat meats or you don't.

And yes- that's different than saying- I typically don't eat meats.
  • noellak2014
    Options
    Yea I'm having trouble hitting the calories. Because I don't eat much but I still weight 140 and i play basketball
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yea I'm having trouble hitting the calories. Because I don't eat much but I still weight 140 and i play basketball

so eat more.

and eat higher calorie foods.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    matthaave wrote: »

Whaaaaat?!

So you want advice on how to increase your calorie intake to meet your calorie goal, but don't want anything loaded with calories???

Well, you'll need 2kg of cucumber, eat that, 320cal. (BUT CARBS!!)

Alternatively, and more sensibly, eat something calorie dense like...

Nutbutters
    Ice cream
    Cake
    Nuts
    Cream
    Oils
    Milk
    Yogurt
    Chocolate
    Fudge
    Cereals

Unless you have a medical reason to do so I see no need to fear dietary fats or carbs. Nothing I have noted above is inherently 'unhealthy' when consumed as part of a sensibly planned balanced dietary intake.

But yeah, cucumber.