Alternatives to cardio

Options
Salutations guys! Well my question is what are some alternatives to cardio? I enjoy cardio for a bit but if its too long then I get bored of it and its been nearly a month of cardio. So far my cardio has been on the treadmill for an hour and playing basketball for an hour if I have the time. Are there any other cardio exercises I can do that are dinner than just normal running?

Replies

• iandrew124
    iandrew124 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I meant "are more fun" rather than "dinner". xD
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    How fast are you eating if dinner counts as cardio? :#

Swimming, elliptical, rowing, cycling, roller blading, dancing, walking, hiking, skipping, aerobics, spinning, ice skating...
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am going to try something called metabolic conditioning. Its a bit more interesting than cardio :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    iandrew124 wrote: »
    ...the treadmill for an hour ...

Go outside?

Death before treadmill
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Swimming, elliptical, rowing, cycling, roller blading, dancing, walking, hiking, skipping, aerobics, spinning, ice skating...

This kind of covers the basics. lol Anything that gets your heart rate up pretty much...
  • Tacita88
    Tacita88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you train with weights as well? I find if I lengthen my weights circuit I can cut the cardio down to a minimum (around 20-30mins of intervals), makes me feel stronger, more energetic and helps me lose weight faster than hammering the treadmill for hours on end.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Am I missing something here?

If you don't like it, is there a reason you *have* to do it? But to your question, there are a zillion cardio options. What do you enjoy, or what do you think you might enjoy? Try some things and see what sticks.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for workouts or training circuits, Youtube is your friend.

• iandrew124
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    How fast are you eating if dinner counts as cardio? :#

Thanks for the suggestions o:
  • iandrew124
    Options
    I am going to try something called metabolic conditioning. Its a bit more interesting than cardio :)

Sounds interesting, going to look it up.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    iandrew124 wrote: »
    ...the treadmill for an hour ...

Go outside?

Death before treadmill

I wish ;-; I work out at night around 7 because of college scheduling so its dangerous go outside but I have been looking to go out more.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    Tacita88 wrote: »
    Do you train with weights as well? I find if I lengthen my weights circuit I can cut the cardio down to a minimum (around 20-30mins of intervals), makes me feel stronger, more energetic and helps me lose weight faster than hammering the treadmill for hours on end.

I do! I love weights <3 and I typically do cardio on my off days to get my exercise in for the day. I do enjoy it but when something gets too repetive for me thats when I begin to lose interest and was wondering if I could find an alternative cardio exericise thats fun. X3
  • iandrew124
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?

If you don't like it, is there a reason you *have* to do it? But to your question, there are a zillion cardio options. What do you enjoy, or what do you think you might enjoy? Try some things and see what sticks.

No, I do enjoy cardio but sometimes being on the treadmill is too repetitive and I love going to gym but I don't want to go because I want to lose weight, I want to go because I love it and incan look forward to it. Yeah, I'm going to try that today at the gym and see what happens. o: Thanks c:
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    One of my friends here includes "grooming horses" as part of her cardio. Another does gardening. I would guess that housework could count. I live up 43 stairs (no lift), and have 1.8 miles of walking as part of how I get to and from work. It all adds up and is more interesting than the treadmill.