To log or not to log- Walking

Options
How long and far do you walk to count it as significant enough that you log it?

When I first started a couple months ago, I would log any walk that was 10 minutes and over, now I tend to only log if it's at least 20 minutes of walking (I was also not lifting or doing much at the gym, now I am). For example, a few days a week I have a walk to the subway that is about .7 of a mile, and takes me 12 - 15 minutes. Would you log that? It's not really super significant so I'm not worried about it, just curious to what everyone else does.

Replies

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories so I log most of my activity. i log my exercise sessions plus any walking that is over 3000 steps. If I ate back calories I might be pickier about what I log though.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you walk briskly I think you should log it.If a leisurely stroll maybe not
  • runandbikeNick
    runandbikeNick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I only log activity that is beyond 'normal' - so if i am mall shopping/walking for 3hrs... I might log 20 minutes of casual walking to my log.

Since it is exercise - but really walking is mostly a ... 'yep, i'm still alive'... we are humans, we walk on two feet... However with my setting of activity level at the lowest (office job) - maybe any walking should be counted... :-/

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I only log exercise walks. Walking in the normal course of daily life should be reflected in your chosen activity level.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I only log exercise walks. Walking in the normal course of daily life should be reflected in your chosen activity level.

If you choose sedentary then it depends on how much walking and how leisurely it is.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »

If you choose sedentary then it depends on how much walking and how leisurely it is.

Sedentary accounts for most daily activities and is calculated at 120% of BMR. Lightly active is calculated at 137.5% of BMR and moderately active at 155%.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I walk my dogs every day for somewhere between 6-10km (one walk) and yes I do log it the same way as I log all my sports activities. I do not log my other daily walking though.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE now, but when I tracked exercise I only tracked walking if it's something extra and deliberate such as going on the treadmill or going for a hike.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't log the walking that is part of my usual day- for example, from the subway to my job is a good 7 minute walk daily each way, I wouldn't log that.

I probably will just continue to log my walks that are at least 20-30 minutes at a decent pace. Interesting to see everyone's opinions on this though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    any amount of walking for several hours that's above and beyond my standard daily walking.

walking at a theme park
    going hiking
    walking the board walk ALL day (not between dinner/movie)
    walking in NYC
    walking in a museum

those types of things.

just walking around- nope.