Torn stomach muscle

Options
I have lost 30 lbs. (Hit my goal weight in July of last year but gained back 5 in Jan/Feb so in now 2.5 lbs away from my goal weight) but I don't feel as good about myself as I thought I would. When I weight 135 lbs @ 5'8 before I had my son I was tall, thin and in shape but now I have this gross line down my stomach that prevents me from wearing a 2 piece swim suit. I thought loosing weight would make it go away but it actually makes it stand out more. I have looked it up and others say that it's called "diastasis rectis" or a torn stomach muscle and the only way to get it fixed is to have it surgically reattached or a tummy tuck. Have any of you other mom's out there had this? I really want to find out how/if I can get rid of it. I have been doing sit ups but honestly not as many as I should. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this? Thank you!

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a separation at the Aponeurosis between your abdominal muscles. Which, if that is the case, you're pretty much stuck with it. Do you have a picture of it so we can see what you're talking about?
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i have seen a plastic surgeon for my stomach issues -slightly torn stomach muscles loose skin and tons of stretch marks. no amount of crunches will make a difference. in fact crunches sometimes aren't recommended if u have torn ur stomach muscles. i concentrate more on doing planks, squats and other core muscles that dont focus on abs. tummy tucks are very expensive but they really can sometimes me the only answer
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    -be not me- sorry
  • JamieMommy1985
    JamieMommy1985 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Dang, Yes im pretty sure Lofteren that's what I have. I also had a belly button ring that was torn out on a desk that wasn't that noticeable until after I had a baby. Here is a pic of the damage :(39lkf5187k1s.jpeg
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    You have such a lovely, hourglass-ish figure! The only thing stopping you from ROCKING (not just wearing!) a two-piece is your own brain.

You can do some deep core work involving flexing your abs and progressing to planks to rebuild core strength and lessen the protrusions (the two 'programs' are Tupler and Mutu, both of which are $$$ and of uncertain outcome, but some individual exercises you can find online might help). The only way to close the gap visually is tummy tuck/surgical reattachment.
  • JamieMommy1985
    Options
    Thanks, I've been doing sit ups and planks but I think I just need to be more dilligant about it.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    http://www.befitmom.com/diastasis_recti.html

there are exercises to help heal diastasis recti if that is what it is. No need for surgery :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    http://www.befitmom.com/diastasis_recti.html

there are exercises to help heal diastasis recti if that is what it is. No need for surgery :)

The exercises can help minimize the visual effects of DR. They cannot reattach torn muscle.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is the viewing angle in the photo, but the stretchmarks seem to me the "bigger" problem. It would not prevent me from wearing a bikini though. I have accepted that pregnancy just changed my body, and am not comparing to what it was pre kids.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    First off, stop with the sit ups - they can make DR worse. My physio and doctor told me in no uncertain terms to avoid anything that jack knifes the stomach area.

As mentioned above, you can do exercises to minimise the appearance, but the only way to 'fix' it is surgery and get everything sewn back together.

I have quite a bad DR and surgery is on my list of things to consider, but I have found that lifting weights has helped a lot (I got permission from my physio & doctor to go ahead, taking due care).
  • JamieMommy1985
    Options
    dnamouse wrote: »
    First off, stop with the sit ups - they can make DR worse. My physio and doctor told me in no uncertain terms to avoid anything that jack knifes the stomach area.

As mentioned above, you can do exercises to minimise the appearance, but the only way to 'fix' it is surgery and get everything sewn back together.

I have quite a bad DR and surgery is on my list of things to consider, but I have found that lifting weights has helped a lot (I got permission from my physio & doctor to go ahead, taking due care).

Thanks for the help, no more sit ups. I have been doing weights. Low weight with high reps. Im going to continue with planks and other ones that help.
  • JamieMommy1985
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Maybe it is the viewing angle in the photo, but the stretchmarks seem to me the "bigger" problem. It would not prevent me from wearing a bikini though. I have accepted that pregnancy just changed my body, and am not comparing to what it was pre kids.

Yes, I have a lot of stretch marks but for some reason those don't bug me. I started using a vitamin E serum and it seems to help. Also, when I tan they aren't as noticeable so I guess that's why they don't bug me as much.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I see nothing that's preventing you from wearing a two piece.

if you find one you like.
    wear it.

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Dang, Yes im pretty sure Lofteren that's what I have. I also had a belly button ring that was torn out on a desk that wasn't that noticeable until after I had a baby. Here is a pic of the damage :(39lkf5187k1s.jpeg

I really don't see what you're talking about in that picture. It really just looks like you have some stretch marks and a little extra skin from having a baby, which is pretty normal. I'm a guy though so I obviously haven't physically given birth to a child but... you know what I mean lol.
  • JamieMommy1985
    Options
    Thanks JoRocka, I think I just compare this body to my old self don't think I will truly accept it. I ordered 2 new ones that both cover my lower stomach so maybe I will feel comfortable to wear a two piece that covers my problem areas.
  • JamieMommy1985
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »

I really don't see what you're talking about in that picture. It really just looks like you have some stretch marks and a little extra skin from having a baby, which is pretty normal. I'm a guy though so I obviously haven't physically given birth to a child but... you know what I mean lol.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! I think I'm just stuck in the mindset of my pre-baby body.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    after seeing pics i would say u really dont need to worry! the loose skin is minimal and even the stretch marks are really really faint! i would post by stomach but that would just scare everyone lol! u look awesome the hard work has for sure paid off
  • JamieMommy1985
    Options
    after seeing pics i would say u really dont need to worry! the loose skin is minimal and even the stretch marks are really really faint! i would post by stomach but that would just scare everyone lol! u look awesome the hard work has for sure paid off

Thanks, I still have quite a bit of toning to do but I think I just need to accept the things I cant change, well without $5k in surgeries I guess lol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks JoRocka, I think I just compare this body to my old self don't think I will truly accept it. I ordered 2 new ones that both cover my lower stomach so maybe I will feel comfortable to wear a two piece that covers my problem areas.

You can compare all you like- but this is the body you have here and now- do the best you can with it and don't let it hold you back from enjoying your self. If that means a high waisted pin up style suit? that might be the answer- it might mean a rouched one piece.

There is no "right" answer- as long as you are comfortable with yourself so you can go have a good time and eff everything else.

:) Hopefully the suits work out for you!!!