What do you think the most effective exercise is?

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The most effective exercise is the one which is specific to your goal and achieves that goal with maximum efficiency.

Followed by deadlifts.

If you want a visual idea of how to perform back squats check out this vid:

http://www.nsca-lift.org/videos/backSquat/defaultsquat.shtml

Personally I do front squats as the mechanics suit my body better.
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    squats - crunches and walking or running .
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Personally I do front squats as the mechanics suit my body better.

I do fronts now and then. I am now because I tweaked my shoulder a bit and back squats aggravate it. It is a good alternative, but has less muscle involvement than back squats.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It is a good alternative, but has less muscle involvement than back squats.

Yeah, true. My forms always been a bit wonky on back squats - just can't seem to master it for some reason (alternatively I maybe overly picky but as you know good form is critical.)

Between front squats and goblet squats I have managed to do well though.
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do squats with a couple of hand weights (2lb or 3lb) and when I squat down, I push my arms up (weights in hand, palms out). When I stand back up in the rep, my arms come down but stay engaged (hands never go lower than ears, elbows bent). That way I work the entire body.

It sounds like for you running is the way to go. However, like the one guy said, if you want to really lose fat weight you need to maintain a moderate heart rate, if it goes too high, you stop burning fat (weird, but true). At the higher levels you are working to increase your heart strength and metabolism, so it isn't all bad.

Good luck! (I don't know anything about rowing, sounds like it might be a good alternative for you, though).
  • SouthPark11
    SouthPark11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Running is a good exercise, but if you do it wrong, you're almost doomed to injure yourself.
    Rowing is great for the upper body, though it doesn't burn as much as running (100 cal less per hour)
    Here on my little book, it says the biggest caloric burner is cycling and squash (at 1000 kcal per hour!!! -for an overweight person)

Though, if I may add, I wouldn't choose an exercise based on how many calories it burns, but on how much I enjoy it. Because, if you enjoy it you're more likely to stick to it.

Also if you'd like to add more challenge to your workout why not try aerobics? It might burn less, but it accelerates your breathing rate more which means you boost your metabolism, plus you'll work everything out, not only your legs.
  • End6ame
    Options
    Running is a good exercise, but if you do it wrong, you're almost doomed to injure yourself.
    Rowing is great for the upper body, though it doesn't burn as much as running (100 cal less per hour)
    Here on my little book, it says the biggest caloric burner is cycling and squash (at 1000 kcal per hour!!! -for an overweight person)

Though, if I may add, I wouldn't choose an exercise based on how many calories it burns, but on how much I enjoy it. Because, if you enjoy it you're more likely to stick to it.

Also if you'd like to add more challenge to your workout why not try aerobics? It might burn less, but it accelerates your breathing rate more which means you boost your metabolism, plus you'll work everything out, not only your legs.

This is bad advice. Do not chose an exercise based upon your likes/dislikes, choose it based upon its effectiveness. A great example is from Usain Bolt, the fastest man on earth and 3x gold medalist. He admittedly hates squats, but he does them because they are effective. If you are avoiding an exercise because you don’t like it, it is usually because you suck at it. Stick it out and get better at it.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    No one has yet expanded on rowing. It is cardio and heavy weight at the same time, and exercises your upper and lower body, and abs.

I like rowing!!! It does give you a good workout... I have a foot that's injured so I am doing running since I can't run. I also do the arm cycle bike....
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    trail running for me--it actually takes concentration, so I can't zone out or get bored (unless I want to fall off the trail)

also, I'm extrememly compretetive, so I found that after I joined some community rec. leagues, I ran harder, faster, and longer (in my solo workouts, as well as during soccer and kickball games). I need that extra motivation because there's no way in heck I would have believed I was capable of sustained sprinting before indoor soccer!
  • End6ame
    Options
    No one has yet expanded on rowing. It is cardio and heavy weight at the same time, and exercises your upper and lower body, and abs.

Rowing is awesome! But is I had to choose between rowing and running, I would pick running because it translates better into real life. I am in more circumstances where running is appropriate vs. rowing, so I would rather be better at running.
  • betterthanmama
    betterthanmama Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    where is the love for lunges??? also throw in some plank, your good to go :) When you have sweat dripping off your head in 1-2min you know your getting a workout.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Ha ha ha ha ha! Rowing is ALL about the lower body! The upper body is doing less than 20% of the work if your form is right. I rowed competitively for 6 years and trained as a coach, so I know my stuff on that one!

I can't row here, though as there aren't any rivers!

I do aerobics once a week and circuits twice a week, as well as two runs a week at the moment.

Sorry, I wasn't asking for advice with this post. I have an exercise routine I am very comfortable with, I was asking what YOU all find the most effective.
  • jdavis193
    Options

Ha ha ha ha ha! Rowing is ALL about the lower body! The upper body is doing less than 20% of the work if your form is right. I rowed competitively for 6 years and trained as a coach, so I know my stuff on that one!

I can't row here, though as there aren't any rivers!

I do aerobics once a week and circuits twice a week, as well as two runs a week at the moment.

Sorry, I wasn't asking for advice with this post. I have an exercise routine I am very comfortable with, I was asking what YOU all find the most effective.

I do the stationary rowing machine and it works my whole body... Why do you say just legs?
  • fteale
    Options
    It's not *just* legs, but your legs are far far more powerful than your arms, so your legs are doing 80% of the work if your form is right. A previous poster said it only works your upper body, which couldn't be more wrong. It is a predominantly lower body exercise, but you need good upper body strength too, and it works that too.

Most of the power should be from your feet kicking off the footplate, though. Rowers all have massive thighs, like cyclists.
  • SouthPark11
    SouthPark11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well you all got me :) I'm sorry I went all wrong offering advice I was not asked to!
  • fteale
    Options
    Well you all got me :) I'm sorry I went all wrong offering advice I was not asked to!

No worries, you were only being helpful!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The one you do and enjoy doing.
  • jdavis193
    Options
    It's not *just* legs, but your legs are far far more powerful than your arms, so your legs are doing 80% of the work if your form is right. A previous poster said it only works your upper body, which couldn't be more wrong. It is a predominantly lower body exercise, but you need good upper body strength too, and it works that too.

Most of the power should be from your feet kicking off the footplate, though. Rowers all have massive thighs, like cyclists.

Oh ok thanks I didn't see the previous post :)... I do the stationary rowers :)
  • dan76n
    dan76n Posts: 23
    Options
    I would of picked running as the most effective being most runners are very lean.
  • fteale
    Options
    I would of picked running as the most effective being most runners are very lean.

That's not necessarily cause and effect, though, you want to be carrying as little weight as possible to be as fast as possible, so it may be they try to stay thin, rather than the running causing the thinness.