Vegetarian Recipe Ideas without pasta

2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Here's some that were a hit with my family!

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/white-bean-tuna-salad/

Hate to point out the obvious flaw here...

There are more definitions of vegetarian than "clean eating."

You seem to be responding to a completely different comment. If you hadn't noticed, tuna is a fish.

Some vegetarians eat fish, maybe that's what he meant.

Then they're not vegetarians. Vegetarians don't eat animal flesh. Just like "some vegans eat honey" makes no sense. Wiki: "Pescetarians are sometimes described as vegetarian or pesco-vegetarian, but vegetarians commonly do not consider the pescetarian diet to be vegetarian. For example, the Vegetarian Society, which initiated popular use of the term vegetarian as early as 1847, does not consider pescetarianism to be a vegetarian diet."

Then it's exactly what he meant, it's a true Scotsman kind of thing.

Either way, there are many very tasty vegetarian dishes, actually almost anything can be made vegetarian, you only need to substitute the meat. I will second Mujadra - the deeply caramelized onions give this smokey umami flavor to the whole dish, and it's also quite filling. I also made a this recipe the other day and it was amazing

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/wild_mushroom_barley_risotto.html
  • Veggierosa
    Veggierosa Posts: 4 Member
    Try Mujadra. You can Google for a recipe, but the basic recipe isa cup of dry lentils, a cup of dry bulgur or rice and a pound of deeply caramelized onions. Serve with a dollop of yogurt

You seem to be responding to a completely different comment. If you hadn't noticed, tuna is a fish.

Some vegetarians eat fish, maybe that's what he meant.

• Veggierosa
    Veggierosa Posts: 4 Member
    Vegetarians do not eat fish. Nothing for which you have to kill any animal form including fish.
  • My favorite guac recipe is on this app called sidechef. Here's the website sidechef.com/download. They have all sorts of vegetarian and vegan recipes.
  • sharbi3
    sharbi3 Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried the Food On the Table app? Not only does it help you with meal planning, you're able to specify ingredients and dietary restrictions. Once you pick your meal(s) from the variety of recipes, it will generate a grocery list and find what's on sale at your favorite, local grocer.
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Google up 'meatless monday' recipes by Kim O'Donnel. Plenty of good suggestions.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    OK, this may be old school, but Jeanne Lemlin's cookbooks have some of my very favorite vegetarian recipes!
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    my lunch today is wild rice blend with curried lentils - pinterest is super helpful for recipes, I love it!
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    more "inspiration" than actual recipes - there are lots of ethnic vegetarian foods that don't rely on pasta.

Mexican, Indian, Chinese, Thai, etc. all have great alternatives.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited March 2015

Oooops. No worries for me, as that recipe has my mouth watering. Then again I'm not a vegetarian though I do like vegetarian dishes.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Some recipes i love:

Tortilla soup

Lentil Soup

Cheese Lasagna

Beans and rice

I also like to make tacos with Morningstar Farms Grillers Crumbles/beans/etc. and also vegetarian chili/frito pie.

There's always pan fried tofu stir fry.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    I'm a pescatarian, but I only eat fish rarely. I'm not sure if you're asking for no-pasta dishes because you're avoiding carbs, but if you're okay with carbs--I like making veggie sandwiches (on Dave's Killer Bread aka the best bread) with hummus, cucumbers, bell peppers, and baby greens. I also make a lot of squash, zucchini, sweet potato, etc. fries. Oh, and various grilled skewers (at which point I usually add shrimp, but of course you could just grill veggies).
  • jamie_reynolds
    jamie_reynolds Posts: 67 Member