concern about the weight loss pill Alli

Options
This might be nsfw-ish?

Hi, I wanted to ask the community about this. I've been on Alli for about four days now and so far its been working but my stools have been covered in an orange oil. After searching online I have found this to be a common problem but I've read that its common to leak some of that too. I haven't had that problem but i'm terrified I will lol. Has anyone else had this problem? Does it go away or will it continue to happen?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    It will continue - it only goes away when you stop taking the pill. That's kind of how Alli is designed - you eat the fat, you don't absorb it all, so what's left has to come out. It's worth the risk to some people - it's not to others.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    How does Alli work?

Alli promotes weight loss by decreasing the amount of dietary fat absorbed in your intestines.

Lipase, an enzyme found in the digestive tract, helps break down dietary fat into smaller components, so it can be used or stored for energy. Alli inhibits the work of lipase. When you take the drug with a meal, about 30 percent of the fat you consume isn't broken down and is eliminated through bowel movements.

• charles877
    Options
    Oh okay, thanks for the reply. I'm hoping the other problem won't occur at all.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Alli works by stopping you breaking down and absorbing the fat, so it just goes straight through you..

Only you can decide whether it's worth it to be honest. Personally, I don't think the risk of an*l leakage would be offset by anything for me. But maybe that's just me.

Do you really only have 25lbs to lose, like your ticker says?

Edited because apparently an*l is a swear word :neutral_face: but considering it's a genuine medical complaint, I'm not sure what else I can put.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    If you take that product you will get very focused on cutting out fats. If you get 25-30 percent of your fat out those issues will stop. Whether that works in the long run I'd up to you. It didn't for me.
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ... did anyone else read that description and feel their entire digestive system clench in fear?

No offence meant to the OP, but I can't imagine a situation where excreting orange goo would be worth it to lose weight, especially if there's a possibility of it happening involuntarily. I'll stick with good old fashioned calorie counting; there's less body horror involved.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Read this, it will tell you everything you need to know about Alli! http://thewvsr.com/alli.htm
  • pieceofperu
    pieceofperu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha KarenJanine. That is class. Love it !
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I took something similar about 13 years ago called xenical. It was prescription only so I got some from my friend to try. I actually messed myself at work! Yes, that it true!!!!
    My underwear was disposed off in the sanitary towel bin. I had no control over this, no warning whatsoever, it just leaked out of me, and it stank!!! This happened to my in my sleep as well. You need to be so careful with the amount of fat you consume, I saw this as a quick fix and thought I could eat what I wanted and lose weight! Obviously this was my own stupid fault but I wouldn't go near fat blockers ever again!!!!!
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Read this, it will tell you everything you need to know about Alli! http://thewvsr.com/alli.htm

I laughed while reading this, but mostly because I have seen many of those things happen to folks on Alli. My wife tried it once. Several coworkers tried it.

I thought wow, that's a drug that will teach you not to eat fat. I'm sure it will if the OP stays on it. My problem, and many others, is fat is helpful. You need some fat.

I need about 72g of fat a day. Imagine how much fat I would have to try to consume on Alli to keep 72g of fat?

I'd have to find a way to make a living while sitting on a toilet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    Look at this objectively: So you take Alli to help absorb excess fat from eating. However Alli doesn't discriminate as to which fat it absorbs so even ESSENTIAL fat is absorb. So now you have to supplement with essential fats to counter the effects of Alli.
    Wouldn't it be smarter to just eat foods with the right fats to begin with and in less portions? Alli doesn't teach you how to do that.
    It will FORCE you to forego eating greasy food/fried foods though. I've heard the stories and people having to bring extra clothes with them everywhere.
    There are no secrets or magic pills..............there's just habitual change.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My concern with the product is the cost vs what you get out of it.

Do the math. You are limited to a certain amount of fat per meal, and it blocks 25% of that fat I believe? Its been too long since I've done the research to recall all the values. But at 9 calories per gram of fat, and 3500 calories for a pound, it works out to something like a 1 pound per month of weight loss.

All the Alli advertising claims comparing people who use Alli to people to lose weight on their own: factor in Alli users being active in community forums such as this for support and tracking their calories in. The non-users in the claims, do not. So the Alli users that lose much more than the opposite group? Can probably attribute most of their progress to the community support and food tracking.

About the only thing it does, in my opinion, is kind of force you to limit your fat intake. Which may or may not be useful for weight loss. As if you're not eating at a deficit (you can overeat carbs, protein also) then there is no loss. And in reality, blocking the fat can sometimes have a downside. Your body needs fat, and it does not absorb some nutrients very well without fat.
    charles877 wrote: »
    This might be nsfw-ish?

Hi, I wanted to ask the community about this. I've been on Alli for about four days now and so far its been working but my stools have been covered in an orange oil. After searching online I have found this to be a common problem but I've read that its common to leak some of that too. I haven't had that problem but i'm terrified I will lol. Has anyone else had this problem? Does it go away or will it continue to happen?

• erinlikesfood
    erinlikesfood Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a class about obesity right now and a few weeks ago we discussed weight loss drugs, including Alli. Alli and Xenical are the same drug (orlistat) but Xenical is the prescription dose. Alli is proven to help people lose weight, but some people's symptoms (including oily stools and leakage) will be so severe that they can't stay on it. Literally 1/3 of the fat you consume will pass through you undigested. Decreasing the fat content of your diet may ameliorate the symptoms, but you still might become deficit in fat-soluble vitamins. It's obviously good to talk to your doctor about all this.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of when Wow chips were introduced and quickly were rebranded and had a warning label
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I've had friends that tried it. They advised if I was going to take it, stay very near a toilet at all times because of the leakage. :s

I'd rather count my calories and live normally lol.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Some people with GI issues experience similar symptoms depending on their ability to break down fats. I have never taken Alli, but I had my gallbladder removed ~4 years ago. As a result, there is no storage of bile (just an ongoing trickle) to kick in and break down a higher-fat meal, so the excess fat can be excreted with stool. Unfortunately just because you haven't experienced leakage yet doesn't mean you won't - all it can take is a greasy meal. You might experience leakage or feel like you have gas and actually expel the unabsorbed fat. It's difficult for me to understand why someone would want to subject themselves to that - personally I find it quite embarrassing and a huge motivator to keep my eating on track.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    As a side note, one of the local radio stations used to have a weekly spot for former Alli users to call in and tell their horror stories. You can imagine the repetitive theme....

p.s. Don't sneeze unless you packed some extra drawers.
  • Seahawks_Lover
    Seahawks_Lover Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tell you a story, my mom decided to try this a few years ago. Her and I were out shopping one day at Macy's and I looked over and saw her kind of leaning against one of those support poles through the store. I walked over to her and asked if she was ok, and she was like omg, I just pooped my pants. I had to walk behind her as we went to the dressing room and I could smell it. She had orange goop all down her legs, pants and undies. I ended up having to go buy her a new pair of jeans (luckily we were shopping!) and she changed into those and put the dirty stuff in the bag so we could dispose of them. I took her home right away and asked her what she'd eaten that day, and she told me a burger and fries. I'm like well, you're not supposed to eat like that with that pill unless you're going to be by a toilet for the next 3 hours. She stopped taking it after that embarrassing experience.
    So truth be told, I don't think it's worth it and like others said, it doesn't distinguish between good fats vs bad fats. But if you decide to keep taking it I would suggest bringing a change of pants with you wherever you go and maybe some baby wipes just in case it drips down you, because it's stinky.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Reminds me of when Wow chips were introduced and quickly were rebranded and had a warning label

The guy from Zug.com ate them for an entire week. You can imagine what happened.
  • Soapytime
    Soapytime Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Nsfw language but this is hysterical. http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/lax/182862349.html

This is what happened to one poor soul when he ate fat free Pringles made with olean/olestra.