Fat Free Milk vs Almond Milk

Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk as soon as I was old enough that my mother stopped forcing me to drink it because I don't like the taste. I drank soy milk for decades. Now that I'm older and have packed on a few lbs, I also drink almond milk because it's less calories.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Neither. I like 2% or whole milk. Raw for the rare treat (surprisingly in Wisconsin--the "ancestral" homeland of dairy cows, lol--raw is illegal to buy and sell--need to know someone who owns good cows ;) ).
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ever since I learned that I was lactose-intolerant I can't stand the sight of cow's milk. I prefer unsweetened vanilla almond milk over any other non-dairy.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Haha! Looks like I am about the only one in this thread that loves cow milk. I would drink it by the gallon if I could. Must be something wrong with me... :smiley:
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    dairy is one of my downfalls. i love milk, cheese, etc. i also really like almond milk. so i switch off from time to time. i also find using almond milk helps me kickstart when i plateau, probably for the obvious reasons versus milk. i drink it by the glassful, or on oatmeal (just had it for breakfast!). i don't cook with it. i prefer the unsweetened, original/unflavored varieties, blue diamond or 365, doesn't much matter. when i drink milk, it's usually a high-quality organic, fat-free type, such as from stoneyfield. i don't go organic in everything, but milk is one item well worth the switch. sometimes i use rice milk, but usually find it too sweet even in the unsweetened versions. hope this helps.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    4homer wrote: »
    I prefer milk. I tried almond milk and sorry that stuff just nasty. Rather danced naked in acid rain then drink any sort of nut milk again.

Me too. Stuff is rank and no protein.
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    I go between skim and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I really can't tell a difference to be honest. If I am using it in cereal or a drink mix, I can tell no difference. Almond milk on its own has just a light sweet taste to it. Nothing major.however, if you plan on drinking it on its own, I suggest getting regular vanilla almond milk, not unsweetened, because unsweetened almond milk can have a little weird flavor to it. But is isn't noticeable in cereal or mixed with something.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat less sodium and I'm a little lactose intolerant if that makes sense. It depends on how much I drink. So converting does seem like a good idea. Appreciate everyone's positive input. Thanks. :)

Go to self.com. Just yesterday they posted an article comparing several milks: soy, oat, coconut, almond, etc. I found it very helpful because they listed the fat, protein, sugar #'s, etc. and gave pros and cons to each. You may find another type of milk that suits you better.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has a lot less protein.
  • tamonique22
    tamonique22 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I mainly drink almond milk. It's been great for my household. Half of us are lactose intolerant and I personally like the taste more than regular milk.
  • jeneticir
    jeneticir Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't use any dairy products. Almond milk is great! My favorite is the unsweetened almond coconut blend. So good! Dairy milk is made for baby cows to grow huge, not for humans.