cauliflower pizza crust-anyone try it?

Options
I have a bunch of cauliflower in my freezer and my family doesn't like it. Have been seeing cauliflower pizza crust lately and I was wondering if anyone has tried it and liked it and your favorite recipe? Thanks.

Replies

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I tried it....I would add lots of herbs to the crust next time....it was pretty good, but would be great with extra spices added to it before baking.

I don't remember which recipe I followed, but I think it was this one....the key is to squeeze as much water out as possible....it is unbelieveable how much water comes out of it!
    http://detoxinista.com/2012/01/the-secret-to-perfect-cauliflower-pizza-crust/

• jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I make it frequently, Im a type 1 diabetic so I have to watch my carbs. Mrs. Dash makes a tomato basil seasoning that is salt free and makes the crust have a great flavor. Definitely lay down parchment paper on the pan that you are going to use. I usually bake half way through, take it out of the oven and flip it over on a new piece of parchment paper so that both sides get cripsy and it stays together better. I just found recipes to do the same thing but using zucchini or spaghetti squash and i'm excited to try those as well.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I like it and make it often. I usually add a lot of garlic to mine.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Definitely add some flavors to it. Use parchment paper and I also spread it kind of thick like about an inch or so thick because it settles. I spread it too thin once and trying to peel that off the parchment was no fun...I make it with egg whites and I whip those to stiff peaks then fold into the well drained cauliflower/herb mix. cook for a bit (15 minutes 20 minutes or so) then flip onto new parchment and gently peel the other parchment off and cook longer (lightly browning) before adding your toppings.

Most recipes are generally the same for this. It's not hard, but is time consuming.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'll die before i do a cauliflower pizza crust
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Another quicker/easier cauliflower idea is the cauliflower "rice" - really quite good. Lots of recipes out there but basically - saute with olive oil, salt and garlic. Yum!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How did everyone make theirs? Every time I try and make it it never comes out right and it's pretty gross.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    nope.gif
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I watched Joy make grilled cheese with cauliflower "bread" on Kathie Lee & Hoda last week. It looked good (and the hosts loved it), but it seemed like an awful lot of work. I think I'd rather just eat something else rather than go to all of that trouble! Of course, that's just my opinion. Some of you, I'm sure, are not as lazy as I am! Lol
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Too much work, imo.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Lots of work, lots of cheese and herbs but overall, tasted great to me. It's a very thin crust though. Just try it to see if you like it. There's no harm in experimenting with food!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I watched Joy make grilled cheese with cauliflower "bread" on Kathie Lee & Hoda last week. It looked good (and the hosts loved it), but it seemed like an awful lot of work. I think I'd rather just eat something else rather than go to all of that trouble! Of course, that's just my opinion. Some of you, I'm sure, are not as lazy as I am! Lol

I'm lazy and not afraid to admit it! I do low carb, so this recipe has always appealed to me, but I've yet to muster up the energy to try it. I very rarely have pizza just because I dislike most restaurant pizza sauce (too salty, not enough oregano and basil, etc.), but if I DO have pizza I just peel off the topping and discard the crust anyway.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    How did everyone make theirs? Every time I try and make it it never comes out right and it's pretty gross.

One of my friends on FB made it the other day and she said they ended up ordering take out pizza instead. Her little boy ate it though, because he would eat anything as long as you called it "pizza."

lol

I have heard mixed reviews of it...I imagine, knowing myself, that I would probably like it (I like most things that are smothered in tomato sauce and cheese) but I bet my family would say "This is weird. Now where's the pizza?"

• beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and it tasted delicious. It was a lot of work though, and it was messy. Definitely couldn't eat it with my hands. I used zucchini as a topping, and I think that added too much water.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

ill second this...

just go with a thin crust option ....
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If I remember correctly, you should probably be using fresh cauliflower for "crust", frozen tends to stick to the pan. I personally prefer using chicken or pork as a base if I want a lower carb "pizza".
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This. Blegh.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,451 Member
    Options
    It is time consuming. I thought it tasted funny but I think the Mrs. Dash suggestion earlier would probably have done the trick. You really have to wring out the water and make sure you run it through the food processor enough to get all the big chunks. I would not be opposed to attempting it again on a weekend or day off. I like the suggestion of flipping the crust and baking the other side too. It does hold up.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I tried it and was the only one in my house that ate it (only because I was too stubborn to admit it sucked). Super time consuming and just tasted like cauliflower with cheese and pepperoni.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, you should probably be using fresh cauliflower for "crust", frozen tends to stick to the pan. I personally prefer using chicken or pork as a base if I want a lower carb "pizza".

actually, if I remember correctly you just use real crust, because pizza...