Any Shortie women 5'0 -5'2 success stories?

Options

Replies

• sharmaynet
    sharmaynet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm confused because 1200 is what MFP set for me. How are you calculating your intake please?
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    sharmaynet, I would set your goal to be 1 lb loss a week (anything higher will bring your calories down). It's about doing the loss slow and steady. Also, if you walk or are active (working out 3 times a week or at least walking 30 min a day) set your goals that you are slightly active, this will increase your calorie goal. I'd look-up a TDEE method for your calories (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). Also check this post, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

It's more that its hard to get all the nutrition you need (good fats, healthy carbs, protein, fiber, etc.) on a diet less than 1200. Plus your body NEEDS the calories just for daily life. Make sure you are also eating smaller meals (200-300 calories) every couple of hours to keep your metabolism going. I usually try to do a 250-350 calorie breakfast, a 150 calorie snack, 300 calorie lunch, 150 calorie snack, 300 calorie dinner, and another 150 calorie dessert/snack. I also walk about 6,000 steps a day and do a 30 min work-out 5 days a week. I am 5'0" 158lbs and MFP puts me at 1420 calories a day. This is what I will need to be at even when I am at maintenance, but my body needs the 1420 right now for the energy and daily life.
  • Fit4Life0901
    Fit4Life0901 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am 5'1 and I am looking for supportive friends. I am 23 and applying to graduate programs. I have worked very hard this past year and have lost a good amount of weight through eating healthy and working out 4/5 times a week. I started around 118 and I am currently 105. I am pretty much wanting to just maintain this weight and keep doing what I have been. If I happen to lose a little more thats fine but focusing on toning and weight lifting. Goal is to stay at 102-105 :) which is a healthy weight for my height. add me if you would like. I am super positive and love to give advice when I can.
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 feet exactly. Started in September 2014 at 174 and am currently at 146.

I am doing strength training now to build muscle and tone, my weight may not drop much but my size will change and go down. I set my calorie goal at tdee-15% so my calorie goal for my stats is 1645 calories a day.

My profile picture is my before and current pic!
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    hi everybody i am 5'0 .. and currently weigh 126lbs.. i started my journey at 152lbs .. i have been on this journey since may 2013.. i am going slow but i will reach to my goal weight one day!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"2 and have lost around 90lbs give or take a few. I've been maintaining for a few years now.
  • annaasun
    annaasun Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    63 inches here. 148 ---> 112 at my lowest. now im a comfy 121.

Remember, we fall off sometimes but as long as we get back on. Support from MFP always helps. reading goals, stories, and fitness joureys like yours always motivates me. I wish you well.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    laineybz wrote: »
    I'm 5"2 and have lost around 90lbs give or take a few. I've been maintaining for a few years now.
    Awesome result and you look great in your profile pic! I'm also 5'2" so this helps motivate me. :DB)

• lulaconnor822
    Options
    Fellow shortie here , please add me :)
  • jenna_re85
    jenna_re85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm a bit taller then you asked for ringing in at 5'3". I am starting all over with this at a whopping 235, which I reached during my pregnancy with my first kid who is now 16mo old. Before becoming pregnant my highest weight was 215 and I lost 70lbs with weight watchers. This time I'm only using MyFitnessPal, but I think it will work just as good or even better. I love the online/app aspect and having soooo many people to relate to. With that being said please add me!! lol. I just started on Monday after many months of feeling hopeless and miserable. I hope I can stick with it and at least get 50lbs off of myself. Then I will go from there. I hope to one day reach about 135 to 145 which is where I feel most comfortable.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and was 185 at my heaviest 3 years ago. I lost 50lbs through WW but have gained 10 back since I started lifting weights a year ago. I have finally accepted that the tape measure is your BFF if you lift - seeing the scale creep up made me discouraged until I began logging measurents instead of watching the scale.

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    5'1 150 -> 107
    OhkysZz.jpg
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    5'2" at age 38. I've fluctuated between 158 (highest & size 12) and 122 (lowest & size 2). Right now, I'm at 145 and aiming to lose 20 again. I've been on the slow but steady loss trajectory since last fall, when I was at my highest weight. Unfortunately, at our heights, there isn't much wiggle room with calories. So, you have to be able to be patient and happy with stalls and slow losses. I've found over time I tend to average about 1/2 lb per week, when I'm staying on track. I aim to average about 1200 calories most days and that makes up for the days when I go over (1-2 days/week, at 1500-2000 calories). I don't feel hungry on the lower calories if I focus on higher protein and "whole" foods. Good luck! :smile:
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    sharmaynet wrote: »
    I'm confused because 1200 is what MFP set for me. How are you calculating your intake please?

The flaw in MFP is a lot of times it sets people at 1200 calories which is REALLY low. Personally, I set my goals to maintain... and I just eat what I'm comfortable with that day. Most days I net about 1200 but I also have some days where I'll eat right up to my maintenance just depending on how I feel. Nobody ever said EVERY day had to be the same. What's to say you might not be as hungry one day to the next? But, if you're starving all the time because you're trying to stick to 1200 calories in a desperate attempt to lose weight... then obviously you're eating too little. Everyone is different - listen to your body! Good luck :)

• Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Not so triumphant, but I started out at around 255 (I didn't have a scale at that point), and I'm now down to 228... almost 30 pounds down since December! So, a little over 2 months there. I lost that weight like so.

-Low carb, high protein, high fat. So basically my diet looks like this: BACON FOREVER, eggs, salad/veggies, avocado pudding... that kind of stuff. Before I went paleo, I made choices of desert in moderation but I am very bad at moderation, so it had to be extreme or nothing.
    -Paleo (so goodbye wheat and dairy products for now. Probably wheat forever... sigh. With the possible exception of beer.)
    -NO liquid calories. None. No pop. No coffee. Well, I make the exception for homemade apple juice. :)
    -My calorie goal is lower than MFP's suggested goal, because I'm trusting my body to tell me when it's full, and sometimes it says it's full on 450 calories, and then I'm like 'welp, okay', but then I don't feel bad the next day if I indulge in my paleo deserts.
    -I don't eat out nearly as often as I used to.

Exercise! As a 255 pound woman, I was out of shape so I had to build up to being able to do the simplest things. I couldn't do a knee push-up. I couldn't do a chin-up. I couldn't run for 5 minutes. So I started with wall pushups, and static holds. I couldn't hold a plank for 10 seconds at that point, but that wasn't stopping me from holding it for 8 seconds. I got into the habit of doing 20 wall pushups at work every time I used the washroom, which was such a small change in physical activity it was almost silly to not do it. Now I've build that up to 30 wall pushups, 30 squats, and a 30 second plank. So I end up doing these reps a couple of times a day. After a month had passed, I tried doing pushups again, and now I can do knee pushups easily, and regular pushups... about 10 reps... and I've pushed my plank to 180 seconds. It's just about getting into the habit of doing something you don't NORMALLY do to get past the horrible stage. Don't run into a gym and hurt yourself if you're badly out of shape. There's next to no resources online for tackling being so out of shape you can't even do the basic thing.

NOW I've joined a gym, and am excited to find out things like, I can deadlift 185 pounds, or do a chin-up as long as I use the assisted machine. :) The point is, challenge yourself by doing something you wouldn't usually do. If you already do cardio, great! Try picking up some heavy things. Plus you earn some of your calories back, if you want them.

The exciting thing about being a short woman is that even 10 pounds looks like a crazy weight loss! I saw myself in the mirrors at the gyms, and while my clothes fit way differently and in theory I knew this already... I was flabbergasted by how much smaller I've become. From 30 pounds+working out (which probably means I've lost more fat in favor of muscle mass built from the strength training), I have lost a good 4-5 inches off of my hips, 6 off of my waist, and heaven knows how much off of my bust. Heh. So for us smaller people, the loss SHOWS.

The jeans don't lie. But it's still nice to be able to look and see it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go squeeze my magnificent arms. :D
  • Nikkkosmom
    Options
    I rarely am hungry in 1200 cals believe it or not
  • cazpom37
    cazpom37 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i am 5ft 2 and was a uk size 22-24. i lost approx 2 and half stone and got down to a size 16. i maintained for 2 years but have put about half stone back on over this last christmas (too much chocolate!) so i joined here 4 weeks ago. ive been losing a steady pound a week but i have mobility issues and can't exercise so im happy with this.

zpyq6xna3xa2.jpg

mfp.JPG 39.8K
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0". I started 6 months ago tomorrow. It sucks being short because even at my current weight, I still look fat. But I'm happy to be where I am now compared to 20+ lbs ago.

SW: 148.7
    CW: 127
    GW: 125
  • Danni_peck
    Options
    I knew someone who was able to lose 40 pounds. She was 5'0" and she worked out five days a week, and was a mom so she had her kids all the time. She ended up at about 115.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!