Am I doing this right?

Options
My TDEE is 1983 and BMR 1377 and weigh 10.12, my goal is to get down to 10st. I've increased my daily calories from 1200-1460 as I felt 1200 was leaving me with very little energy as I train 4x per week. Im trying to reach my nutritional daily goals. Does my food diary look ok? Am I on the right track or does anyone have tips for some improvement? I also never eat back my exercise calories. Thanks! I'm really focused and committed to this to reach my goal. Any tips will be gratefully received. Thanks!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am seeing lots of grams so I assume that means you are weighing things which is great.

You should expect: 1983-1460= 523x7 = 3661 or about 1lb/week loss with your current plan. Plus a little more since you don't eat back exercise calories. Thats ok as long as you are not logging really serious burns. If you are doing really strenuous exercise then you might not be getting enough fuel and may eventually run youself into the ground. You will have to be the judge of that.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Are you calculating TDEE before or after exercise? If your exercise accounts for about 500 calories per day, then you probably shouldn't eat less than 1500 calories (Assuming TDEE + Exercise = 2500). I find it easier to log my exercise and eat back those calories than what it is to try to average the exercise out over the week. Either will work, but eating extra calories on the day I exercise gives me the freedom to skip an exercise day if circumstances require it. When averaging those calories out over the week, you may have already eaten those calories, so skipping exercise will mean you aren't at a calorie deficit.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    1983 TDEE already considers your exercise calories. So if you are basing your intake goals on TDEE, you don't eat back for exercise.

All else sounds right - though keep in mind with 12 pounds to lose (I think that is what you mean) its a slow & steady pace. You won't lose each & every week - but can build consistency into your activities & food choices and be successful in the long run.
  • primrose2572
    primrose2572 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean?
    1983 TDEE already considers your exercise calories. So if you are basing your intake goals on TDEE, you don't eat back for exercise.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    How did you calculate your TDEE? When you calculated your TDEE did you include your exercise or just normal daily activity?

Typically the TDEE method takes into account everything you burn throughout the week (including your exercise) and how much you want to lose, and averages it across the week so you eat the same amount every day. MFP takes your normal activity and sets a goal based on that, so you log you exercise when you do it and eat those calories back.
  • primrose2572
    Options
    Are you calculating TDEE before or after exercise? If your exercise accounts for about 500 calories per day, then you probably shouldn't eat less than 1500 calories (Assuming TDEE + Exercise = 2500). I find it easier to log my exercise and eat back those calories than what it is to try to average the exercise out over the week. Either will work, but eating extra calories on the day I exercise gives me the freedom to skip an exercise day if circumstances require it. When averaging those calories out over the week, you may have already eaten those calories, so skipping exercise will mean you aren't at a calorie deficit.

Using the IIFYM calculator I input exercise 3 x a week Do you think I'm eating too many calories to lose? Or have I got it all wrong?
  • Danni_peck
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing it right. Maybe go down to 1300 if you can.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    You should be fine, your exercise selection is somewhat in line with what you actually do. Keep in mind these calculators are all estimates, but you have roughly a 500 cal deficit/day so you should lose. I would not cut it down to 1300 yet, give it time and see how you body does on this plan, you can adjust in a month or two if things aren't moving along.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating less than TDEE, you will lose weight (generally). I don't like the IIFYM calculator because it makes some assumptions about what exercise is. For one person, exercising three times a week could be hundreds of calories while it might be thousands of calories for another person. I'm thinking the IIFYM calculator assumes thirty minutes of exercise.
  • primrose2572
    Options
    Thanks all, some awesome advice. Should I be trying to meet 100% of my nutritional goals everyday? Is the proportion of carbs and protein ok or should I lower my carb intake a little?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    Some days I am a little over some days I am a little under, thats pretty normal, its tough to be exactly on everyday, unless your a robot. There is a handy weekly chart on the app under nutrition, click weekly. That shows you how close to your weekly goal you are.

macros look pretty good, for the most part they should not imact your loss unless you have some sort of medical issue. Alot of people like to crank up the protein and it makes them feel fuller, if your happy then just stay where you are.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Danni_peck wrote: »
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • primrose2572
    Options
    Super! Thank you :)
  • primrose2572
    Options
    Danni_peck wrote: »
    WNYEj9G.gif

??
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I think the headshaking is doubting the need to cut calories further...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    I think he does that when he disagrees with someones response, so he is saying don't cut to 1300 until you know if you are going to lose like this
  • primrose2572
    Options
    It really made me chuckle :D
  • primrose2572
    Options
    I'll stick with 1460 at the moment and see how I go, 1200 was just too low for me. If it doesn't work then I'll drop to 1300.