Breakfast before a 15k-half marathon distance run/race

Options
I'm wondering what experienced runners like to eat before races or medium/long runs. For a race/run around 8am, what do you eat for breakfast if the run is somewhere between 15k-half marathon distance?

I've tried fasted runs and I can only do that for short runs (max 3 miles). So far I've been having rolled oats, almond milk, honey and almond butter for longer runs. I'm trying to keep potential GI issues away since there aren't always rest stops around. It worked out fine for a 6 mile run, but it wasn't enough to get me through a 9 mile run. My pace is also around 10min/mi if that helps at all.

Any recommendations on what to eat pre-run that gives you enough energy and doesn't upset your stomach?

Note: I have not had any GI issues running, I have read enough about the potential to want to avoid an embarrassing event with my running group

Replies

• lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    peanut butter on toast. always.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ahead of a race of meaningful distance (meaning I am not running balls-to-the-wall), I like to eat a large muffin. Like a chocolate chip, cinnamon chip, etc type. It is a huge carb-bomb (likely about 400ish calories?) and sits/digests well. I make sure to eat this at least 1 hour ahead if not more.

For shorter stuff like 10k or 5k, I won't eat anything as it is likely to become a sidewalk decoration, and the race isn't long enough for me to worry about "fuel".
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a granola bar of some variety. The only way to know for sure is to try it out and see how it goes.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    What you eat is personal preference. But it's important to eat it no later than 3 hours before the race starts. That allows time for the insulin surge to pass so you don't start the race burning glycogen. After you start running you can eat as needed without that concern.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I don't run well on food. I will carb up the night before though.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Before my first 1/2 was advised to not try new things. So had the same breakfast I'd have before other long run days. Cereal w/ 1/2 a cup fat free milk & a banana. Had some energy gel chews - also not a new item to me - and had a few of those mid-race. Was worried ahead of time about getting hungry - as I had more time between food & race than was typical while training. But it was fine. Tend not to be hungry when I'm very active - and there were snacks at the end of the race. Bananas, cookies, muffins, etc.
  • glevinso
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

Carb-loading, at least the way it is typically done the night before a race, is actually not a good idea. A proper carb-load takes a good week or so to accomplish and you should be showing probably 3-4lbs more of "scale weight" than you normally carry (it's all water).

Loading up on pasta (for example) the night before a big race is more likely to just leave enough undigested pasta in your belly to slow you down. My reasoning for the muffin before the race is that it digests fast, not because it is necessarily "carbs" although the initial spike in blood sugar can be a help. I prefer to avoid any protein right before as it digests too slowly and the body is not unlikely to decide it should just kick out that bit of undigested food while under exertion.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Before a half or less distance I won't eat anything. Maybe a gel 30 mins prior. For a marathon or longer distance I usually have a banana and a gel. On the longer distances I am able to consume calories out on the course.

I have tried things like toast and peanut butter, oatmeal, they all work fine but find that I don't get any performance benefit from them that I can tell.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a few weeks to go before my first race with a couple long training run coming up and I wanted to try something that would hopefully work better than the oatmeal so far. A large muffin is something I definitely want to try Saturday!

I've heard of the gels and chews but wasn't sure if I needed that for a half, maybe I'll look into them a little more before my run Saturday as well.

Thanks again for all your help!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sandwich about an hour before race time
  • glevinso
    Options

I've heard of the gels and chews but wasn't sure if I needed that for a half, maybe I'll look into them a little more before my run Saturday as well.

Thanks again for all your help!

For a 15k I wouldn't bother with a gel, but for a half I always carry one, maybe two. Whether or not I use them depends how I feel during the race. Usually I carry ones with caffeine in them as I think I get more of a boost from that than the gel itself.

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »

Carb-loading, at least the way it is typically done the night before a race, is actually not a good idea. A proper carb-load takes a good week or so to accomplish and you should be showing probably 3-4lbs more of "scale weight" than you normally carry (it's all water).

Loading up on pasta (for example) the night before a big race is more likely to just leave enough undigested pasta in your belly to slow you down. My reasoning for the muffin before the race is that it digests fast, not because it is necessarily "carbs" although the initial spike in blood sugar can be a help. I prefer to avoid any protein right before as it digests too slowly and the body is not unlikely to decide it should just kick out that bit of undigested food while under exertion.

I know people carb up the entire week. That doesn't work for me. I will feel sluggish. What works best for me is eating a medium veggie pizza w/ chicken the night before a big event. I've learned from my and others' mistakes that you should never mess with what works for you from experience based on the experience of others.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Oh so that's not really a "carb pig out" like you sometimes see people doing :) Absolutely agreed, though, on doing what works even if it is contrary to the conventional wisdom.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Normally, for a shorter race, I'll have an english muffin with peanut butter.

I just completed a half and before that race, I had a granola bar, half of an uncrustables sandwich (man, those are gross!), a tootsie pop, and a 3/4 cup serving of whole grain frosted flakes. But then again, I can eat and run at almost all times. And I don't eat during my runs (even for a half).
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    What I have found that works for me before a 1/2 or full marathon is an English muffin with almond butter and some oatmeal. I will also carry one pack of shot blocks (I hate gu) with me and tend to take it around mile 7ish for the 1/2 marathon distance. If I am running a full (to include training runs) will have enough shot blocks for each hour. That has worked best for me.

For the week leading up to the race, I tend to add some brown rice or quinoa to my meals but stay within my calorie count. Pasta is a no no for me. It is too heavy and I don't like the way it feels on my stomach. The night before is typically grilled chicken breast, steamed veggies and brown rice.

Good luck!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I second the comments about toast/bagels/muffin with peanut butter, I add a banana too and make sure I eat it 2 hours before race time. I eat heartily the 2 days before, not stuffing my face, but slightly larger portions.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nothing. I run fasted in the mornings.

When I started to get to distances where I thought I might hit the wall (> 10 mi), I brought mini marshmallows and ate one every couple of miles. Worked fine, no tummy troubles. Then I figured out I didn't really need them yet and quit bringing anything. That's worked up to the 14 mi mark.

When I run in the afternoon, I don't really pay much attention to what I eat for lunch other than nothing spicy or heavy. I usually eat 2-3 hours before I run. I haven't had any issues with that so far.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    for a 15K I usually don't have anything and refuel one hour into it (it takes me 2 hours to run a 15K) if I'm going to run a half I'll have a GU gel and refuel once every hour. but I haven't run a 15K in the morning for a long time. but I usually eat all day a couple of banana's and a meal replacement shake.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Before my 14 mile run Sunday I had a piece of bread with peanut butter and a cup of coffee. All went well! Before reeeeally long runs I'll have 1/4 cup granola with a tiny bit of milk and a honey stinger waffle cookie thing (this is for 18-20 mile runs mostly). I don't have much problems with GI distress on runs (knock on wood!), but I try not to drink much dairy before I go out or else that can leave me feeling gross post-run. I also will have 1-2 gels over the course of a 2.5-3 hour run, but when I ran half marathons I'd have one around the one hour mark and another around 1:45 (I usually finished between 2:05 and 2:15), so getting all my fuel pre-run wasn't totally necessary.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before running. I do like a cup of cold coffee, black with no cream or sugar first if possible. If I'm doing something longer than 13 miles I might start taking a gel every 6 miles once I reach mile 7 - 10 depending on how I feel or how casual the pace is.

I like the high caffeine gels.