Breakfast before a 15k-half marathon distance run/race

Options
2»

Replies

• stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    before a full, I eat toast and jelly a couple of hrs before the start...everyone is different
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I run up to 90 minutes fine on an empty stomach without eating during. For a run that's going to be over 90 minutes, I'll have something to eat at about the one hour mark. Whether that's a gel, chew or gummy bears/red vines depends on what I have at the house. I try to have something at each hour mark after that depending on how much further I have to go. If I have 1/2 mile left to go, I'm not going to slow to eat at the 2 hour mark.

As for eating before, I would probably eat a bread product/nut butter combo or a clif bar about an hour before a half or longer distance. I avoid coffee as that can cause g.i. issues.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Banana, peanut butter or almond butter, and a piece of bread. Over 9 or so miles I usually bring something to have during the run (a gel, fruit chews, or even raisins). I avoid caffeine and dairy pre-race, although some people can tolerate them fine - you can always test out different things for training runs and find what works for you!
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have been playing around with this as well. I have found that a Luna bar and an espresso about an hour before my long runs (12+ miles) are great. I also take a honey stinger gel about 15 minutes before. I can't stomach much fuel during runs and thus I try to load myself up with calories before hand. For my 20 miler I did manage to eat about 1/2 of a honey stingers chews bag (2-3 at a time at mile 8 & 13) but that was it.

As shown from this thread, everyone is different and you will need to play around with what works for you.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Before my runs, I typically have a cup of coffee (with some time to digest :wink: ) and an English muffin with butter and jam. That's for weekend runs though—sometimes, on a weekday morning where I'm usually going just 3-5 miles, I'll just get up and go.

If your breakfast isn't enough, you should start considering fueling. Honey Stinger chews work for me, as they taste good, are easy to chew without water, and very easy on my stomach (all natural, organic ingredients). They're small, so I like that I can eat one or two at different times during my run. I usually eat one every 45 minutes or so. It's also a nice distraction!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I don't eat before running. I do like a cup of cold coffee, black with no cream or sugar first if possible. If I'm doing something longer than 13 miles I might start taking a gel every 6 miles once I reach mile 7 - 10 depending on how I feel or how casual the pace is.

I like the high caffeine gels.

Coffee... this is an absolute requirement. It wakes your mind up, and it wakes your... guts... up.

Strong coffee is the best poobricant, and will ensure your pre-race stop at the blue-box is 100% successful.
  • djsolich
    djsolich Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on whole wheat, sometimes half of a banana. Lots of water the days leading up to the long run
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I don't eat before running. I do like a cup of cold coffee, black with no cream or sugar first if possible. If I'm doing something longer than 13 miles I might start taking a gel every 6 miles once I reach mile 7 - 10 depending on how I feel or how casual the pace is.

I like the high caffeine gels.

Coffee... this is an absolute requirement. It wakes your mind up, and it wakes your... guts... up.

Strong coffee is the best poobricant, and will ensure your pre-race stop at the blue-box is 100% successful.

QFT.