Sports Bra vs Normal Bra

Options

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I have smaller breasts-an A size -or an almost A. Most days I wear a regular bra. 2 days a week I do wear a gentle sports bra so I do not need to change for yoga. At home I often do not wear a bra.

Even for high impact I do not need a compression bra.

At 56 my breasts are almost as perky as ever.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I have dense breasts so even though I'm only a D cup, bounce was a serious issue. I used to wear 2 sports bras when exercising. :s

I finally found a sports bra that I love. It's comfortable and almost no bounce. I often wear it all day. I exercise at work so I wear it to work whenever possible. And I wear it anytime I think I might be active, like if the grandkids are coming over, or when working outside.
  • jjasmelon
    jjasmelon Posts: 101
    Options
    my boobs are a D cup, so i was thinking it might help wearing a sports bra for the future but I guess it depends. Anyone know any good supportive non sport bra companies? preferably in the UK?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I guess I just like more support, and I just bought a light weight sport bra. So, wear what you feel comfortable in, and just had to tell my experience. B)

This is a good point actually. Sports bras make me imagine the high-impact, difficult to get on, strap-'em-down-within-an-inch-of-their-life jobs. Sports bras designed for low impact stuff like yoga/pilates might be much more comfortable and realistic for everyday.

I actually forgot my sports bra one day so bought one at lululemon, since that's the store downstairs from my gym, and it is seriously comfortable compared to any other I've ever had. I suspect it's also because I'm no longer so well-endowed as I was (although definitely still need support), but while I'm not yet in the wear the sports bra all the time camp I'm probably going to get some more like that one for most non-running/jumping activities.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    Sports bras will give you uniboob - something that is typically frowned upon in day-to-day fashion. ;)

Yeah, when I wear my usual sports bra I resemble the hull of the titanic. But I got this sports bra to wear to the gym and I love it. It actually FEELS good. It's the first bra that I'm not dying to rip off the moment I get in the door!

51buNVjpvYL._SR160,200_.jpg

amazon.com/Glamorise-Womens-Active-Comfort-Sport/dp/B007HJG830/ref=sr_1_37?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1425389056&sr=1-37&keywords=sports+brahttp://

Nice! Will have to check into it.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I HATE BRAS!!!!!!!!!! Just had to say it.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    Sports bras will give you uniboob - something that is typically frowned upon in day-to-day fashion. ;)

love this! haha!
  • saralynrice
    Options
    I'm obsessed with victorias secrets new sports bras, I've been wearing them everyday, my boobs are on the gigantic side, and these sports bras make them look smaller a but perky, with clothes on u can't tell I'm wearing a sports bra. Check them out, kinda spendy, but if ur boobs are big, it's necessary
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    jjasmelon wrote: »
    my boobs are a D cup, so i was thinking it might help wearing a sports bra for the future but I guess it depends. Anyone know any good supportive non sport bra companies? preferably in the UK?

The UK has wonderful bra companies. Try Panache, Freya, and Fantasie.

And the UK has figleaves.com and bravissimo.com (which includes clothes for busty gals).
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    I have smaller breasts-an A size -or an almost A. Most days I wear a regular bra. 2 days a week I do wear a gentle sports bra so I do not need to change for yoga. At home I often do not wear a bra.

Mine were never perky, even when I was 20 and a 34B. If it weren't for pictures, I'd never believe I was that small, but I remember worrying about how droopy they were even then, lol..push up bra's are in my future, lol

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That's my sports bra! (the crossover one in the picture... or at least one super similar). I love it. It's so comfy and does a reasonable job holding my Gs in place. (Sidenote: I'm limited to low impact activity so I don't know how it holds up to high impact stuff).

I would also note that my hubby thinks it's quite sexy... well... it might also be a possibility that he just thinks boobs are sexy. I'm convinced mine are half the reason he married me lol.

Trust me, with larger breasts, a bra like that would not work at all for high-impact.

I would think that a B-cup would be the upper limit.

I can't wear sports bras at all, except for gentle walking and maybe weight lifting. I usually wear a very supportive underwire bra under a shaper top. This allows me to do everything except jumping jacks.
  • wizzybeth
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That's my sports bra! (the crossover one in the picture... or at least one super similar). I love it. It's so comfy and does a reasonable job holding my Gs in place. (Sidenote: I'm limited to low impact activity so I don't know how it holds up to high impact stuff).

I would also note that my hubby thinks it's quite sexy... well... it might also be a possibility that he just thinks boobs are sexy. I'm convinced mine are half the reason he married me lol.

Trust me, with larger breasts, a bra like that would not work at all for high-impact.

I would think that a B-cup would be the upper limit.

I can't wear sports bras at all, except for gentle walking and maybe weight lifting. I usually wear a very supportive underwire bra under a shaper top. This allows me to do everything except jumping jacks.

I have a 44DD bra of that version. Not sure what you consider high impact - I wore it to my spin class last night doing all sorts of crazy things I never expected to do on a stationary bike...up and down and pushups off the handlebars and the like...and it was not uncomfortable at all. My butt -pain however may have been distracting me. Plus not everyone may consider spin class high impact, but for me, I'm just thankful to have made it out alive. ;)

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I have a really nice Freya bra, it has underwire and is supportive. They are not cute sports bras, but they get the job done and let me run etc.
  • Farm_Girl_Strong
    Farm_Girl_Strong Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Support is definitely key to prevent sagging, however if your normal bra fits PROPERLY you would not need a sports bra for support. Be sure:

*band snug on the loosest hook
    *band parallel to the floor
    *band not able to be pulled more than 1" from body
    *gore (center part) sitting flush against chest
    *straps securely on shoulders, not digging in and not falling off
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I HATE BRAS!!!!!!!!!! Just had to say it.

Even the word bra is ugly. Bra. Braaaaaa ... Bleh.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Bras are the invention of Satan himself. I will agree to that.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm a 38 DDD. Guess what didn't shrink when the rest of me did? I wear bras from enell.com or title9.com. I do wear the Enells all day long because I think they make me look normal size. Regular bras make me feel like they precede me when entering a room...

The title9 site is probably the best guide out there as far as help choosing a bra for the right level of impact. Downside to buying sports bras when you're this big is that they often cost more than $50. Upside, the one's I did put the money into seem to last more than a year though. The Enells last about two years.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    meritage4 wrote: »

Mine were never perky, even when I was 20 and a 34B. If it weren't for pictures, I'd never believe I was that small, but I remember worrying about how droopy they were even then, lol..push up bra's are in my future, lol

I've got a couple nice lift and define type bras that do a great job, but honestly as I lost more weight I just got sick of all-a-dat. My favorite ones are now basic thin cloth bras with an underwire and I look visibly flatter when I wear those instead. Very comfortable, too!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Support is definitely key to prevent sagging, however if your normal bra fits PROPERLY you would not need a sports bra for support. Be sure:

*band snug on the loosest hook
    *band parallel to the floor
    *band not able to be pulled more than 1" from body
    *gore (center part) sitting flush against chest
    *straps securely on shoulders, not digging in and not falling off

I'm not convinced that this is true. I have been professionally fitted in specialty boutiques and none of those bras would I ever wear running. I don't see how a demi cup and some of the other pretty lacy bras could possibly offer adequate support doing anything mid-high impact.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would NOT want to wear a sports bra all day!