What the hell do I eat

Options
mcyd137
mcyd137 Posts: 13 Member
Ok I don't really have a horrible diet. My main issue is I love sugar and beer which is why I am in the "must loose weight NOW" mind set.

My main annoyance right now though is that I am getting tired of what I am eating. I can prep things before work, and get food ready for my day, but I work long *kitten* days in the film industry. I have to bring breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner with me. So right now, I am just plain tired of a few things and need better options for a slap together at work option.

My days usually look like:
Breakfast- whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter or greek yogurt with fresh fruit
Lunch- salad with mixed veggies and balsamic or turkey sandwich or tuna with celery
dinner- usually a form of chicken with a side of veggies (green beans or brocolli) and potatoes (because I'm irish and I can't stop eating potatoes)

Now, I know I should eat eggs for breakfast but it's one of the more annoying things to prep ahead of time. Maybe that's just me.

Ok, don't listen to the fact that I am being a food grump right now...it would help if I could see some other breakfast and lunch options on the cheap side that will be low on my calorie counter.

side note question....I keep hearing apples and bananas with PB is the WORST snack ever if you are trying to loose weight...true/not true?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    There is no "worst snack" when you are losing weight. If it fits your calories, satisfies you and keeps you full it's a great snack.

I usually have eggs on an english muffin for breakfast, ground beef with rice and beans for lunch, something yummy for a snack and chicken with vegetables for dinner.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You're going to make yourself crazy listening to other people's rules. Eat what you like. There's no reason you should, or shouldn't, eat eggs for breakfast, although I noter that hard boiled eggs are about as convenient á it gets. There's no reason not to eat fruit with peanut butter. In fact, it's a particularly nutrient dense snack. There's no reason to eat or not eat anything, as long as you're accurately counting calories and eating at a deficit.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, eat what you like so long as it fits within your daily calories :).

I hear you on the prepping ahead, I have to do it on field work days, and if I get the amount of food I need to keep me going all day I'm pretty screwed!

My usual breakfast is yoghurt, watermelon, flaxseed meal and cinnamon.
    Lunch on days I'm not working from home, still kind of working that out, but veggie sticks, hummus, guacamole, cheese cubes, fruit - basically things I can fit into little containers in my wee chiller bag (I'm doing moderate carbs cos of PCOS, hence the lack of nice and easy sandwiches). When I'm at home it's often scrambled eggs with veggies.
    Dinner, big salad with tempeh, or stuffed eggplant or butternut pumpkin are my faves at the mo.

And your apples and bananas with PB are only a problem if you're going over your calories. Weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out at the end of the day. if you're eating at a deficit, you'll lose.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If you have a refrigerator and a microwave at work, you can bring anything. I batch cook on the weekends and store meals in Ziplock containers with screw on lids. As a teacher, I often end up eating most of my meals at school. Today I had a baked apple with granola (breakfast), banana (morning snack), garlic parmesan chicken breast, rice, and steamed broccoli (lunch), celery (first afternoon snack), grapefruit chunks with Splenda (second afternoon snack), tomato mozzarella basil salad with small red wine (dinner). With a bit of dark chocolate before bed, which is my ritual, I can get all that in for about 1300 calories.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing every day for breakfast until I get bored with it then I do something else... Every day and so on. Right now I'm on fiber one cereal mostly because I'm trying to get a lot of fiber. I bring it in a Tupperware and a small jar of almond milk to keep in the fridge at work.

Before that I was doing a baked oatmeal dish. I make a big serving if it in a baking dish with lots of good stuff in it (banana blueberries pecans brown sugar etc) and dish some out every day.

Before that I was doing an English muffin with peanut butter.

Lunch I normally just eat leftovers... So that doesn't really ever get boring.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posters. No such thing as "worst foods to eat" or even "best foods to eat."

The best foods, in my opinion, are foods you enjoy, that taste good to you, that fit within your calories, and that provide satiety.

For me I find it helps me get through the day if I eat enough protein and fat. Feel free to check out my diary if you want - it's not a shining example of anything (just ignore Sunday, I didn't record much cause the day just became a "i'm not gonna think about it" day - it was planned and not a "cheat..." Just a day "off" for mental health reasons, lol...I ate a lot of thin mints that day, rofl..>I was home all day and didn't need to eat "sustaining" food so much.)

I try to meet my macro goals. And I'll eat what I want - and apples and peanut butter sound pretty good right now!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    For breakfast I have one of these things and all I have to do is drop the stuff I want for my sandwich into it while I go do my hair. It means a hot breakfast as I walk out the door.
    25475_1.jpg
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats is great for breakfast. You can prop up to 4 days worth in one evening. Then just grab and go in the morning. If you like them warm hear them up and then add some fresh fruit or nuts. Also I like to make egg muffins. You can crack an egg directly into a muffin tin, break the yolk and sprinkle some salt and pepper. Bake at 325 for about 12-15 mins. If you prefer omelettes beat together about a dozen eggs with whatever meat or veggies or cheese you like. Pour them into the muffin tins and bake as above.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    For breakfast I have one of these things and all I have to do is drop the stuff I want for my sandwich into it while I go do my hair. It means a hot breakfast as I walk out the door.
    25475_1.jpg

OMG what is that thing?!?! Is that a real thing?! it looks too good to be true!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    25475_1.jpg

@psych101 I love this thing! It took a few tries to optimize how I use it, but it's so worth it.
    hamiltonbeach.com/breakfast-breakfast-sandwich-maker-25475.html
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    OH my god @usmcmp. I want!!! That is so cool - my husband would flip over something like that! off to see if they ship internationally. I've never seen one of those before!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    25475_1.jpg

This was all my husband wanted last winter. We looked and looked and couldn't find one. Christmas day, he opens a white elephant gift, and there it was! He loves is, btw :) Great for a quick breakfast you can take with you.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats. It takes 5mins to prep the day before and it's available the following morning.

The options are endless, don't limit yourself. If it fits your macros, enjoy it.

My meals usually look the same almost everyday but that's because I'm fine with it. I enjoy what I eat, if I want to change it up then I can do it without hesitation.

There are so many macro friendly receipes out there.

There's nothing wrong with a serving of peanut butter and fruit. There's definitely a problem if you eat an entire jar of peanut butter. I eat peanut butter almost daily to help hit my fat intake.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    25475_1.jpg

@psych101 I love this thing! It took a few tries to optimize how I use it, but it's so worth it.
    hamiltonbeach.com/breakfast-breakfast-sandwich-maker-25475.html

We have one. I'm not usually much on unitaskers, but I make an exception for this. Makes amazing breakfast sandwiches!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Fritatta is a good option for breakfast (or lunch) and can be made ahead of time and even frozen and defrosted when needed. You can basically add whatever you want so it can be a great way to use up leftovers or bits and pieces you have around. Things you can add are cheeses, ham, bacon, pumpkin, potato, mushroom, spinach, pepper, zucchini, tomato, fresh or dried herbs...

I really like to add some wholgrain mustard to mine for a bit of extra zing
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    There are a million recipes online for egg muffins. If I'm on top of my game I'll cook a dozen on Sunday and have two to eat every morning for a week.

The refridgerate and re-heat well, just 20 or so seconds in the microwave. I just store them in a normal baggie and re-heat them on a napkin in the break room.

I like the ones with broccoli inside the mose, but this looks good too.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/paleo-omelet-muffins/
  • toyvond
    toyvond Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I eat what I want. Once I hit my limit, i stop. Even if I go over by like ten, I still know when to quit.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat eggs for breakfast. Personally, I can't stomach something savoury in the morning about 80% of the time. Banana or apple with PB is also not the worst snack to have. 3 pizzas and a tub of ice cream would fit that description more closely. The thing with PB is just that it's easy to have too much of it and seeing it's quite high in calories, you are more likely to eat over your calorie allowance. If you fit it in, however.. no problems there.

That said, how about:
    - a boiled egg avocado sandwich (boiled eggs will keep for a couple of days in the fridge)
    - overnight oats or cooked oatmeal reheated in the microwave
    - frittata with salad
    - salad nicoise
    - salad with grilled veg and goat cheese
    - thai beef salad
    - using dinner leftovers (taco salad, meatloaf sandwich, meatballs with zoodles)
    - couscous salad with chicken, almonds, dried apricots/mango and curry spices
    - hummus wraps (optionally with falafel)
    - crepes with fresh fruit and yogurt
    - Greek yogurt with homemade berry compote
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    mcyd137 wrote: »

Now, I know I should eat eggs for breakfast but it's one of the more annoying things to prep ahead of time. Maybe that's just me.

Hard-boiled eggs are supposedly easy to make (not for me...I ruin them almost every time). I'll probably eventually just break down and buy a cooker but for now, I just pick up a half-dozen hard boiled eggs from the deli section when I go grocery shopping.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @BruceHedtke‌ , put your eggs in a pan with enough water to cover them. Bring it to a boil. When it boils take the pan off the heat and cover them for 15-20 minutes. Drain hot water and run under cold water for a few minutes until they are cool enough to touch.

@mcyd137‌ you can always do a quiche dish with (eggs, veggies, meat) and bring it with you to heat at work or even good at room temp. One quiche usually makes 6 servings, so you would have most of the week covered.