Liquid Diet to help with weight loss?

Options
I lost 40 pounds about a year ago. Since then, nothing!! Seems like I can't find a way to get another pound off. My nutritionist recently ok'd me to go on an all liquid diet 2 days per week, consuming between 600-800 calories on those days, to jump start my weight loss. My friends are concerned this is unhealthy and won't work anyways.. looking for input! Thank you!!!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I agree with your friends, as its ridiculous. I would definitely fire the nutritionist and get a dietitian. Are you in a deficit? Are you weighing and measuring all your consumption?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight it will be because you're taking in a super low amount of calories. I would leave your nutritionist immediately.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Really, all you are doing is intermittent 5:2 fasting, which works for some people. I don't do it myself so I will leave any further info up to people that do.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    That nutritionist is a joke. Don't put yourself through that. The best you're going to get from that is lose a bit of water weight.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I agree with your friends, as its ridiculous. I would definitely fire the nutritionist and get a dietitian. Are you in a deficit? Are you weighing and measuring all your consumption?

^This. All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. If we knew your stats and how many calories you were eating, we could help you a lot more.

Have you been tracking all of your food as accurately as possible?
  • payne0409
    payne0409 Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options
    the other days Im taking in about 1600 calories. I track EVERYTHING!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Just weigh and log your food and make sure you calorie goal is right for you. I adjust my calorie goal about every 10ish pounds.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Go see a registered dietitian. Anyone can pay $50 and call themselves a "nutritionist". Registered dietitians are food and nutrition experts that go through rigorous training, an internship and sit for an exam to become certified.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether you chew it or drink it. Calories are all that matters.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    payne0409 wrote: »
    the other days Im taking in about 1600 calories. I track EVERYTHING!

Is that TRACKING in the form of weighing all your solid food and measure your liquids?
    Or do you use cups and serving sizes?

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether you chew it or drink it. Calories are all that matters.

Exactly. It's just a trick to reduce your weekly calories. Why not reduce your current calories by 100-200/day and see what happens? Or, if you find cycling calories appealing, try doing that at a more appropriate level (say, 1200 some days, 1400-1500 others). I think the fact that you came on here to ask this question shows that you already know this is not the best idea for you
  • payne0409
    Options
    cups and serving sizes. I don't drink anything at all other than water. My dilema is, I am needing my insurance to clear me for a much needed thyroid removal surgery. One of their stipulations being that I lose 15-20 pounds in 3 months. Almost impossible when your thyroid doesn't work properly :( I have now been working SOOO hard for 2 months and not seen change (maybe 1 or 2 pounds), she suggested this liquid diet twice a week for the last 3-4 weeks before we submit to insurance to see if I can lose the 15-20 pounds this way. Theres my whole story lol
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Listen to your friends
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    cups and serving sizes. I don't drink anything at all other than water. My dilema is, I am needing my insurance to clear me for a much needed thyroid removal surgery. One of their stipulations being that I lose 15-20 pounds in 3 months. Almost impossible when your thyroid doesn't work properly :( I have now been working SOOO hard for 2 months and not seen change (maybe 1 or 2 pounds), she suggested this liquid diet twice a week for the last 3-4 weeks before we submit to insurance to see if I can lose the 15-20 pounds this way. Theres my whole story lol

Cups and spoons don't work for solids.

I would not recommend a liquid diet. A calorie deficit and a load of patience is all you need for weight loss.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

you erat more than you think is my guess
    look here what the difference is between weighing all your solid food or using cups and service sizes
    Can be hundreds of calories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What you're doing is 5:2 . Nothing wrong with it at all. In fact, on fasting days it's recommended to eat UP TO 500 calories for women and 600 for men.
  • payne0409
    Options
    thanks for all of the input (: