HI Trying to tone!

Options
hey guys !!

I am 19
5'7"
133lbs
And I'm really looking to keep my weight around 130 but I can't seem to find anyone on this app looking to shape muscle rather than cut weight ! This is my first week back at the gym and I'm lacking some motivation/guidance. If anyone is in my similar situation or has been, I would love some pointers and help !

Replies

• elementsm146
    elementsm146 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    have you thought about what kind of lifting routine you want to incorporate?
  • akbloomfield10
    akbloomfield10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A little bit.. I do light cardio but I've begun to lift a little too. Like today I did some back and bi
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You have a couple options.

Option 1: Eat at maintenance, maintain your weight, eat plenty of protein, lift heavy weights, gain muscle, and lose fat.

Pros: You don't gain or lose any weight and your weight stays steady as well as your calorie intake, there's generally more stability.
    Cons: This option is painfully slow for gaining muscle/losing fat compared to your other option.

Option 2: Eat at a slight surplus, slowly gain about 10 to 15 pounds while eating plenty of protein and lifting heavy. After that, eat at a slight deficit, lose the weight you just gained while eating plenty of protein and lifting heavy.

Pros: Much more efficient for gaining muscle and losing fat and it is a much faster process than option #1
    Cons: Weight fluctuates, and many people (especially women) find it hard to put on 10 to 15 pounds when their end goal is to lose fat. Calorie intake also fluctuates and there are just generally less things that are consistent.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to lifting. If I were you bodybuilding.com has some specific advice for women lifters in the article sections
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as mythical toning. Toning actually means to build muscle and lose fat. Follow the advice given by AJ_G. You need to lift weights, to tone.
  • akbloomfield10
    Options
    @AJ_G‌ thank you for your advice. Gaining that weight is definitely a tough thing to go through.. I was hoping that if I really dedicated myself to 5 days a week option 1 wouldn't go too slowly
  • elementsm146
    Options
    Agree with AJ that #2 is probably the most efficient. Depends what your real goal is. You can eat at surplus and then change over to a cut after you have made the strength gains you were looking for.
  • akbloomfield10
    Options
    @strozman‌ thanks ! I have found that site to be fairly helpful so far, and rather funny to read sometimes haha
  • akbloomfield10
    Options
    @Furrycatpig‌ i have been getting in the gym and lifting so far just wasn't sure which way I wanted to go about it. Frustrating realizing how weak I am ! Haha
  • elementsm146
    Options
    dont think of it as weakness! its just a starting point that you will blow past in no time. dont forget to give your body time to recover also.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's tough when you start out! But focus on trying to lift heavier weights as you get stronger. Don't stick to the same weights all the time. At the moment I'm trying to lift heavier weights, but lower reps.

You will love it once you get into it and see changes in your body.

Agree with strozman too to take a look at bodybuilding.com - it has great advice for women wanting to get buff!
  • akbloomfield10
    Options
    @Furrycatpig‌ thanks for advice ! Will absolutely keep that in mind !