Trout

Options
My fiance has taken up fishing as a hobby, and soon I'm going to be having some trout to make for dinner. Anyone have some good and healthy recipe suggestions? I've never really dealt with fish before, so I'm pretty lost!

Replies

• Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    Fresh caught fish is so good that you don't have to do much to it. I haven't cooked trout myself, but I'm thinking some salt and pepper and throw it in a frying pan with some olive oil? My dad used come back from fishing and season and lightly flour the trout, and then throw it in a frying pan with butter, but the flour and butter probably make it not super healthy. You can always try allrecipes.com.
  • Munchkinsmom
    Munchkinsmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ask Nonni. Be sure to have bread handy in case of bones.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle your fish with garlic powder & then coat it in lousiana hot sause (or any hot sauce really) then cook it in a TBSP or 2 of olive oil in a pan on medium to med/high heat. Doesn't even taste like fish any more... :)
    We used to do the same thing but on the BBQ on tinfoil & before we added the garlic & hot sauce we would pour 1/3 of a beer on it first...equally yummy but a little higher in calories...
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    lemon juice & dill is also nice...
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    Options
    My favorite recipe was one I got from watching Martha Stewart as a kid and have been making it ever since. You pour white wine over the trout and let it sit for about 10 minutes while heating up either the oven or grill to approximately 350-400. Salt and pepper the inside and outside of the fish. Then slice lemons and garlic and layer that in if its a whole fish or lay on top of the fillet. Add sprigs of rosemary. Either put on the grill or in a shallow dish in the oven. Its usually done in about 10-15 minutes, maximum.

I have also tried this where I wrapped the fish in parchment paper [don't use wax paper for this...] and put it in the microwave. It actually turned out pretty well and was done extremely quickly. Its great for a quick meal!

I haven't tried dill with lemon on trout, but I love it with other white fish and I'd give it a try--it would probably be really good!
  • ilovethelaw07
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions!
  • brendaplummer
    Options
    thanks have tried this tonight for dinner with some rice. pepers and peas as a side - amazing!!! thx...
    Brenda