Caloric Intake -- 1200 net cal/day for everyone?

nbuehrmann
nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm new to this and... confused.

According to the BMR calculations I should be consuming approx. 1600 calories, which I'd burn if I were just resting. So burning 400 calories at the gym leaves 1200 net calories (1600-400) and I should not eat more than that (1600).
But on days off from the gym I should only eat 1200 calories a day... even though it's under my BMR? And that's not starving myself or putting my body into starvation mode? Why shouldnt' I just eat 1600 calories everyday? You wouldn't put on weight doing that because you'd burn those calories just laying around, but if you consume less that than you're not meeting your daily caloric intake.

1200 net calories a day is recommended for everyone but BMR is calculated individually?
I feel like I'm missing something.
:S

Replies

• nbuehrmann
    I'm new to this and... confused.

According to the BMR calculations I should be consuming approx. 1600 calories, which I'd burn if I were just resting. So burning 400 calories at the gym leaves 1200 net calories (1600-400) and I should not eat more than that (1600).
    But on days off from the gym I should only eat 1200 calories a day... even though it's under my BMR? And that's not starving myself or putting my body into starvation mode? Why shouldnt' I just eat 1600 calories everyday? You wouldn't put on weight doing that because you'd burn those calories just laying around, but if you consume less that than you're not meeting your daily caloric intake.

1200 net calories a day is recommended for everyone but BMR is calculated individually?
    I feel like I'm missing something.
    :S
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    You can't use just your BMR to calculate your daily net calories goal. This is because your BMR only takes into account the bare minimum your body needs to basically stay alive. You actually burn more calories than your BMR everyday because you don't just sleep all day - you're active and walk around, lift things, etc.

When you fill out your diet profile, we ask you for a bunch of information which we use to calculate your BMR, but we also ask you what your normal daily activity is like. We then factor in your daily activity to estimate how many calories you burn per day. To lose 1 lb. per week, you need to create a calorie deficity of 500 calories/day. So, if your goal was to lose 1 lb/week, we would take the number of calories you burn per day, subtract 500, and set that as your daily net calorie goal.

All of this is done for you automatically when you fill out your diet profile when you join the site. The one additional factor that we add in is that we never set a daily net calorie goal below 1200 to make sure your body doesn't go into starvation mode.

Does that help clarify things?
  • nbuehrmann
    Yes that helps thanks.

... and so now I have another question.
    So if i'm at the gym and I burn more calories to take me below 1200 net calories a day, and I don't eat extra to make up for them... then am I going into starvation mode?
    And then if I don't want to eat more... is there any point in doing the extra cardio?
  • cleoshaddow
    cleoshaddow Posts: 4 Member
    ur bmi is 10 multipied by ur current weight....if ur planing on losing the suggested calories for 1lb is 3500 per week, that is 500 per day,,,if u plan on 2 or more lbs u just double 3500/7 days,,subtracted from bmi and this is what u should consume

exerciseing,,,well u should calculate ur average calories burned after workout and those calories burned should be added to ur (final bmi)
    ex: every 10 years (after 20 yrs of age)ur body decreases 2% in metobolism
    so here is the math to help
    age 30-39
    155lbs
    155 x 10 = 1550 x (2%) = 31 - 1519 ( this calorie consumption is to maintain this weight)
    to lose
    1lb a week (3500 cal) that is 500 per day
    subtract 500 from 1519..1019
    1019 is what is required to lose at least 1lb

exercising
    total calories burned per day lets say 600
    (you just add 600 to ur 1019,,,because u need it to balance out,,,dont want ur body to go into shock mode
  • nbuehrmann
    Thank you!
  • raeokay
    raeokay Posts: 17 Member
    You should still definitely be working out. It raises your metabolism and strengthens your heart, lungs, and other muscles. Just find something you can eat that you love, and only eat it if you work off that many calories a day. That's what I've been doing.
  • nbuehrmann
    Oooh I really like that idea!
    Thanks
    :)
This discussion has been closed.